1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice My mad eVGA SR-2 build!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by -JP-, 21 Dec 2010.

1. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

2. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

ECC ram normally costs 5-6x more than normal.

3. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Yes. If you finish it, it will kick your 1090T rig in the balls while making coffee and doing aerobics. It will be THAT much better.

The only thing that worries me a bit is your apparent lack of knowledge - and yet you claim to like benchmarking.

But by all means - go for it :rock:

4. rollo

rollo Modder

ddr3 ECC cant be overclocked

it runs at 1 speed only

SR-2 Builds are not cheap

its about £2500 before Graphics card psu and Case to hold it in. on CPUs Ram and Motherboard.

once you start configuring it correctly for benchmarking the price can go upwards to 10k + if you really want best of the best

i love your ambition but your way over your head. your budget is at least 2000 euro short of min that you will need to set this up. And thats if your handy with the dremal. if your not a mountain mods case is your current budget in cost alone once delivery is included.

the delivery to the uk for example for the mountain mods case is around £130 for a 4 week delivery date goes up from there.

as for performance, in benchmarks with duel xeons installed and 12 gb of cl 7 ram installed it will blow away your old pc but also cost 3 times that pc did.

assuming you get anywhere close to 1500 euro for your current rig id personally put this sr2 on market place and be done with it.

SR2 build needs a money no object approach very few people can afford such a build and very few need such a build ( take like nobody unless your doing cad work and even then the equivalent core i7980 build is cheaper and delivers similar results unless your using dedicated workstation graphics cards which cost upwards of £2000. And the key to Cad has never been its cpu power its all in the graphics cards and the dedicated workstation cards are designed for it.)

There's maybe 2-3 people on this site who have an SR 2 build ask them for costings and you will get why i say the above.

you also need windows 7 ultimate as last i checked home premium doesn't support duel cpus.

5. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

just a word of warning, i hope your not planning on any overkocking on that RAM at 1333Mhz

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I say this with respect: if you're asking this kind of question, you aren't ready to handle something like the SR-2.

As others have said, the SR-2 is for sheer 'money no object' builds. People spend ~£2400 for the CPUs (5680s), ~£1600 for the GPUs (580s) and, depending on RAM requirements, £300-1200 for the RAM (2000MHz). So you're up to at least £4300 for base parts already. Then there's the case - I'd probably say another £200 minimum.

In their review, IIRC Bit-Tech also had problems cooling the motherboard when overclocking, so watercooling is probably necessary - That'll probably come in at £1000-1500.

Then there's PSUs. You'll probably be needing two to power everything - say two good quality 1200W at £200 each.

In short, you're looking at £6000 upwards :jawdrop:

Teelzebub likes this.
  7. murraynt

murraynt Modder

A SR-2 set up wont be a whole load faster than you current chip.
    An SR-2 build comes into its own when doing something like video encoding or anything that can address 6+ cores.
    Maybe look into an i7 build?

8. -JP-

-JP- What's a Dremel?

Nope, the i7 systems arent my thing.. Ive been doing Xeons since 06, when i bought my first (Dell PE 4600T)...

Yes, at jimms pc store in finland, the DDR3 ECC are cheaper :D

But, i ordered a pair of the Xeon E5620 CPUs, now just need some good ram on 400e budget.. Help?

9. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

They're also mostly either CL7 @ 1066MHz or CL9 @ 1333MHz sticks. Not actually something you'd pair with high end motherboard of any kind.

10. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Your making a duel xeon build and yet you have no clue what ram to use and your on a,by sr2 standards, a tight budget? You haven't thought this through.

"But i got to get this monster running before 2.2.2011 because im going to win a Fastest PC competition at Assembly, Finlands biggest LAN party.."
    Middle life crisis but instead of buying a fancy car to fuel your ego your buying a fancy computer?

11. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Last edited: 22 Dec 2010
  12. Beezie

Beezie What's a Dremel?

A SR-2 build is probably the most premium build you can build at the time being, it will also be among the most expensive build you can do with today`s parts.

People that have a SR-2builds are few, because its so incredibly expensive

You should really have done more throughout planing for this, a sr-2build with "cheap" parts to make up for the overall cost will still be more expensive then a high end I7 build but have less power because you are trying to save money on parts when you should have gone for something else

High end computers people build usually have some type of planning process with most of the individual parts all mapped out to get the most of the build as possible, it seems you have done little to no planing except one SR-2 build and some Xeons to spend 90% of your budget at those parts

with a SR-2 build would be perfect with vatercooling because of the overall heat of 2CPU`s

i don`t mean to sound rude or anything but it would be interested to see how your build turns out

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

If you had any sense you would have got a bundle, Scans one(half way down the page), as this is a indercation of the cheapest you can do this build for.

I'm just getting straight to this, you have more money that sense! You have no need for a SR-2 build, as nothing you will use will stress all of the cores enough. If you were doing CAD, CGI or simltations like fluid dynamics then you'd possibly 'need' this. As I said above, a i7 980x, R3E and 2-3 580's and a water chiller to OC the pants off it would have been much more worth while and cost MUCH less!!!

Why even ask this and start this thread if you've already started buying parts...?

And I don't think dual 5620's works... I think the second QPI link is disabled on them, hence why bit-tech says the min to use is the 5650's....

14. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Oh stop shouting at the guy for spending money. There are perfectly good design flaws to complain about instead!

15. -JP-

-JP- What's a Dremel?

Its expensive, ill get it..

But, i ordered a pair of E5620 :)

16. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Hahaha go for it mate. It seems the E5620 are overclocking well in that board, I bet your gona have great fun building and OC'ing that badboy..... Keep us posted

17. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

This sounds a bit like a late night on ebay after having too many beers and accidentally buying a F1 front wing for £100, and then asking so how much will it cost to turn it back into a car :=)
    Very impressed with your ambition here.

18. -JP-

-JP- What's a Dremel?

Yea. As soon as the parts arrive ill put it together and supply you people here with a lot of pictures.

I ordered some Kingston DDR3 1600 CL7 12x1gb, i got it for 100e, because the owner of the shop is a good friend to me, and he wanted to get rid of the memory :)

19. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Yeah, let us know how the 1200 handles the motherboard :p

20. Matticus

Matticus ...

I admire your enthusiasm in the face of a bombardment of common sense.

If you can make it work then by all means go for it. Though as others have said you could have taken a much cheaper upgrade route by not going with the sr-2, and still had plenty of power to play with. But if you manage to pull it off, then dual xeons are going to make you smile for a very very long time.

Good luck and get up some pictures asap!