1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new comp..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jebus.exe, 8 Mar 2008.

1. Jebus.exe

Jebus.exe Beta V1.0.0.1

i've put the odd post on the past couple of months, but i've mostly been reading everyone else's problems/solutions/reviews/suggestions.

i know the census is mostly a q6600 + 8800gt, but ive never been an intel kinda guy...

i didn't have a big budget to work with as i have an unexpected kid on the way so i had to cut back on many of the original plans. i was hoping to create the complete spider, as you may have guessed im an AMD kinda guy. and seems i'm upgrading from a vapochilled duron, any upgrade is going to make a huge difference :thumb:
    So with my £800 budget i wanted to make a comp fast enough to handle all what today can throw at it and leave room for it to be improved for tomorrows games aswell.

So i went for:
    AMDx2 5000+ BE (plan to upgrade to a 2.8 phenom when they become available)
    MSI K9A2 CF
    TeamXtreem 2gb 800mhz (2x1gb)
    Samsung Spinpoint 160gb
    ATI 3870xt extreme (plan to get a second one down the line)
    pcp&p 750w psu

the annoying thing about my system at the moment is im running Ubuntu as my OS and there are no linux drivers for my card yet and i don't have a copy of windows so i'll have to wait, though i am trying to acquire a copy off my family.
    the system extras i opted for were:

merc stealth keyboard
    razer death adder ( i decided on this mouse after reading a bit tech review :thumb:)
    nova eswc mp.1 mat
    medusa 5.1 pro gamer headset

bare in mind i have never owned a mouse worth more than a fiver and have been using a clipboard as a mouse mat the past 2 years.

and the final upgrade to complete the system is the samsung 223bw 22" widescreen monitor. what can i say about the monitor... since im upgrading from a 15" crt i suppose the reflection in the microwave window would be an improvement.

im using the silent knight2 cpu cooler, which i chose purely cause i like the way it looks and i plan in the future to watercool the whole pc anyways.
    i haven't started overclocking much yet as its still early days but i have upped the fsb to 215 making the cpu run at 2.72ghz its not a vast clock but its a stable starting point ;) also i used my old case which is a lian-li pc75 which has been jigsaw damaged from the vapochill installation on the previous system.
    images of that one can still be found here :brrr:

the whole system runs great and have had no issues other than no linux driver for the gfx *yet* :sigh:
    well i hope my decisions help with yours and thanx for the helping choose and build my perfect pc :clap:

- also i have a vapochill pe on offer if anyone is interested? :rolleyes:

2. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Why not vapo the new system then??

3. Jebus.exe

Jebus.exe Beta V1.0.0.1

noise, and im hoping to get a zalman gt1000, which a vapo wont fit in, silence is key to this and all future mods and upgrades.

4. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Don't be such a masochist, Intel, nVidia and condoms are what you need :p