1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding My New Lian Li: Where Next? Up to you.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Pookeyhead, 12 Feb 2004.

1. Oracle

Oracle What's a Dremel?

yeah any body can get those silver wires just buy a couple dicount shower and sue the pipes
    btw mabey etch so cool stuf on the glass(btw if you want expertisse on this make it to your nearest stain galsses store the should help you

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

£84 from Aria

Mr G

3. instant rice

instant rice What's a Dremel?

If you want a neat window etch, there are places that make custom appliques. Appliques can be washed off if you ever want to change it. Also, if you wanted a color applique, you can buy transparent printer paper and cut out the image and attach it with really thin rubber cement or something. twistedmods.com has a how-to on that somewhere.

4. Pookeyhead

Thanks to all the suggestions: Ok here's where it's going to go.

Top fan will be removed (useless anyway, as cables have to be routed in front of it). To be replaced by top window.

Front 80mm fans replaced with LED items to light the drive bay.

UV reactive sleeving of the PSU.

Modification to PSU to include a 120mm fan in base.

Lian Li alloy bezels with flush mounted blue LED modifications

Window etch... own design.. working on that

Custom made front panel to replace two lower 5 1/4 bays, holding a Matrix Orbital VFD

IF I plan anything more interesting, I'll create a project log.

Thanks again for the suggestions

Mr G

5. PC JUNKY

PC JUNKY Banned

Don't forget to give us more pics as your modding progresses.

You know us here at B-Tech forums we LOOOVE pics big ones please.

6. Pookeyhead

If it's gets more exciting that just fitting CCLs and stuff.. I will, sure.

7. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

Can I just say here, I prefer smaller pics (400px (or there abouts) wide max), BUT with the "thumbnails" being links to nice big stonking 1280 or 1600 size pics. That way the thread's pretty 56k safe, and (Especially if you've got "Linky" in Mozilla/Firefox) you can Right-click->Open all image links in tabs

Which r0x0rs my s0x0rs! :rock:

8. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Sounds like a good idea... be prepared for lots of sanding and fiting and sanding and fitting, expecially with the side panel so nice looking... one of the few side panels that looks decient in premod... :D

Good Job, *Suscribed*

9. Pookeyhead

LOL.. no pressure to get going then or anything! LOL

Will create a log if I plan anything more than the usual array of cathodes etc.. yes

10. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Take the label off the top of the hdd, and polish it to a mirror finiish, will void the warranty tho.

Be authentic, dont just opt for blue, choose a unique colour (combo), uv hdd, and power leds from mappers?

Led fans wouldnt really light up through those grilles, if you have the space (may require cutting), get some UV reactive clear fans, with the round UV cathodes attached.

Spray the **inside** of the case matt black, so as to highlight any shiny/lighty stuff.

Lian-li floppy bezel.

Fiber-optics for the cdrom activity led's to show thru the stealth bezels.

Do the braiding on **every** cable, so none stand out too much.

Personally I dislike the led's on teh corsair pro ram, i would put black electricians tape over them, but thats me.

Take the tags off the red ide lead.

11. Pookeyhead

Thanks for the suggestions... always good to get feedback.

I like blue... not doing it to be a sheep. Everything in here lights up blue so it will match the room. I plan on accenting all that blue with some red/pink UV paint and some descreetly placed UV cathodes tho... not just all blue.

I love the flashing RAM :p but may sell it actually, as I dont need 500MHz RAM, and would like something than can run faster at the bus speeds I'm at now... latency wise I mean... not RAM clock. Mushkin level II or something like that.

LED fans are planned... to both shine through the grille, and to light up the drive bay.

Agree about the drives... but they're both brand new... so thinking about that, as they're obviously under warranty. In fact... the whole rig is new... nothing in here is old.. I bought all components brand new and built it all from scratch just a few weeks ago so trying to decide what I can afford to loose warranty on... drives may be the last thing to get modded.

Lian Li bezels are on order... both CDs and floppy

As fibre optics... going one better... modding the bezels with flush mounted, lightly frosted LEDs.... yes.. BLUE LEDs :hehe:

Cable braiding planned... UV reactive red... in fact... will sleeve the whole PSU as I plan a 120mm fan mod for that.. so will sleeve everything when that's out.

Tags on the IDE lead.. yep.. again... just making super sure everything is working OK before I start voiding warranties.. although it's only a £3 IDE lead.. :D

I agree with most of what you said.... except the BLUE, and the LED RAM... I love my flashing RAM he he

12. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

take it from me that the uv blue fans with cathodes attached are waaaay better than led fans tho, and look the same shade.

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2555.html

[​IMG]

the one pictured is a sunbeam one, the pic is overexposed for the fan, it looks better in real life.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2004
  13. Lashout

Lashout What's a Dremel?

Do summat like mine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (just the fans in the dark)

[​IMG]
    (rear fans)

[​IMG]
    (front fans)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D

some other mods too....rear baybus ( :lol: ) with 3 toggle switches for blue, UV cathode and 1 rear fan. Etc. Etc.....

14. Pookeyhead

I forgot all about this thread!! LOL

That's a nice case!!

I've just modded the Lian Li bezels to incorporate flush mounted LEDs, but not wired it up yet, as by girlfriend is writing her essay at the moment. I put nice 428nm deep blue LEDs in both for read activity, and a Nichia warm white LED in the writer for write activity :)

I'm sleeving my PSU tomorrow as well. I've not really started any modding due to waiting to see if anything develops a problem before I start voiding warranties. It's all a couple of months old now tho, so time to start.

Just polished my drives as well.

Next planned mod is a top window with a 120mm fan.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Tt Ownage

Tt Ownage What's a Dremel?

you can....

1. Consider water cooling
    2. etching of windows
    3. giving me ur expensive memory cards ;) i have the same ones :D
    4. putting in a PSone LCD in the front floppy area to display system specs and stats like so...
    [​IMG]
    5. put in a serial or USB driven LCD display in the front
    6. OR put in a Noritake graphica VFD with a filter <-- those rock
    7. Stealth your drives..
    8. Drill holes on ur mobo and whatnot to really really stealth the wires..
    9. Make some Lighted hoofs *feet* for ur lian li.
    10. Make a USB powered LED acrylic stand for your keyboard and mouse <--- i didi this rescently and i love it ;)
    11. put in a window up top.
    12. Put in a window on the right side of case with some serious etching work
    13. replace ur stock heatsink.. seriously ur computer deserves better...
    14. ur PC seems dark... or maybe that's how u like it... but u need more than 1 LED fan lighting the whole system.

that's about all i can think of ATM.... i'll post more crap u can do to ur comp

yep.. i have too much time

16. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

are the psone lcd's easy to take out of the casing and mount in a pc etc...?

17. Tt Ownage

Tt Ownage What's a Dremel?

somewhat easy.. it's not hard tho :d

18. Pookeyhead

Possibly, but concirned about teh room in there. I don't want a messy looking water setup.

Possibly some custom appliques coming.. gotta think of a design tho.

Over my cold, dead body.. LOL

This intruiges me... will investigate further.

Yes... always have considered a Matrix Orbital Blue VFD

Will google and see.

Already done.. see above. I don't like stealthed drives with the blanking plates - much prefer the alloy bezels.

Not really necessary, as sleeved UV cables can look nice, and I should be getting some nice blue UV sleeving today.

not sure about that...

Nah... too much of a distraction, and love my keyboard just the way it is :)

Already planned. dark tinted window, with stealthed 120mm fan.

Maybe, but can't be seen where PC is situated

The stock HSF ROCKS!! Deserves better? It's currently at 29 degrees... how much better do you want? Just dissassembled it, and sprayed the fan UV reactive red, ready for the UV cathodes that should arrive today.

True... cathodes arriving today. That 80mm blue fan has been moved to the front along with a second to light the drive bay, and front grilles. The rear fan now has a UV reactive red one there. I've chosen passive lighting via UV for fans. I don't like it too bright.

Thanks for suggestions.
    -----------------------

Bezels with flush mounted 3mm LEDs fitted

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Apr 2004
  19. Pookeyhead

Right... that's the interior sorted out.
    [​IMG]

20. theflinger

theflinger What's a Dremel?

looking great!

I have that mouse and those speakers :O

mx700 or 900?

I like the use of UV and LED (those front fans are led right?)