1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors My new purchase [R32 GTS]

Discussion in 'General' started by Lazlow, 18 Jun 2007.

1. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Since the age of about 12, I've been passionate about Nissan Skylines, hoping to one day be the owner of one. At 23, I'm surprised it would come round this quick, but last week I spotted a standard Nissan Skyline R32 GTS on eBay.

After a few phone calls and a long drive, I've bought it and have put a few more miles on the clock:

[​IMG]
    (More pictures here)

It's not quite as powerful as the GTRs, but 212Bhp; 2.0 litre; single turbo is a lot of fun - especially as the turbo kicks in.

For what it's worth - Adrian Flux quoted me very happy, almost £2k cheaper than most other insurance firms.

2. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

Nice, R32's are my fave. Hopefuly 1 day i will have 1 :D

3. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

just out of wonder how much did the insurance come to in the end, if you dont mind me asking? I'd assume that a car like a skyline and being the age you are it'd cost a few thousand?

4. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

About £990, 3rd Party Fire and Theft (2 years NCB). I was first quoted over £3k, but shopped around and every insurer was different - for example, Tesco said they wont even insure anyone under 25 for a Skyline.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Looks like a lovely car, is the bodywork in as good condition as the pictures suggest?

Got any mods planned? Personally, I don't really like those wheels, so they'd be out for something a bit more Skyline-ish, although I usually don't approve of such things. Looks like a hoot either way, would it be a bit too rude to ask what you paid for it?

6. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

I haven't any mods planned yet, as I want to try and keep it as standard as possible - the wheels on it atm are the originals. It will need a new exhaust within a year, so that will be the first. The bodywork is absolutely fine, with only minor scratches from stones over the years - I was quite surprised how good it looks. And being eBay, it was only £1k! Though the additional costs more than make up for the low buying price.

7. Krikkit

True enough, good for you not wanting to barry it up - there are far too many Skylines that recieve the Halfords treatment with silly boost guages all over the dash and stupid bodykits.

Now I look at them again, those wheels aren't too bad at all - I'd probably consider keeping them for the sake of originality... :D

8. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I personally think the R33 is the best shape but it's really just down to personal opinion at the end of the day. One thing I think you should do to it though is to get some nice side skirts to make it hug the ground a bit more.

9. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Lovely car!
    Agree with Jamie - R33 is the best shape, but R32>R34 ;)

10. Krikkit

Ugh, no! R34>R33>R32 imho.

11. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

IMHO the most beautiful generation of the new GT-R family. That RB20 is going to give you loads of fun on the road, plus it's about as light as an FD3S. Isn't that a GTS-t, not a GTS? GTS packages were not offered as a turbocharged coupe :eyebrow:

12. nissanskyrice

nissanskyrice Terminally Lazy

looks like its in real good condition, especially for what you paid for it!!! Same car down here in Australia is around $12,000 (approx. 5000 pound). what year is that one? going off memory it looks like an '89 or '90. i used to have a '93 R32GTS-t which had the indicators on the 1/4 panels instead of on the headlight assembly. Not much difference otherwise except a few trees got in my way :(

oh yeah before you go on any long drives or club meets or anything check over all your radiator hoses. if any of them look old get them replaced. i had 3 of mine go in the space of a month. believe me you dont want to head to a track day and last a whole 5 minutes then have a hose crack and ruin the day.

13. grungedead

grungedead Minimodder

adrian flux are very cheap, i was insured on them on the g40 and my two mk1s and they are like for like with any mods, the following didnt affect it :- rollcage, coilovers, stripped out interior, non std alloys, non std exhaust and manifold and are all covered.

looks like a nice car, just at 23 be careful with those points, and id recommend getting signed up to some of the nissan forums are you may be able to get along to some track days to get some legal sideways action :)

14. RTT

RTT #parp

Cool :cooldude:

15. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

I couldn't agree more. I have nothing against the modified Skylines, as many are insane, but seeing as this R32 has remained stock for 14 years, then I'll keep it stock for a few more to come.
    All 3 are fine IMO and there's a lot of similarities between them.
    AFAIK it is a GTS-t (will double check the plate under the bonnet), though Nissan made so many variants it's hard to keep track. This one is RWD, with a single turbo, 2l but does include the HICAS. It's an automatic too, which explains the low cost, though after driving it for 3 days I don't see the problem - the kick-down is half the fun, as you're guessing when it'll kick in.
    It's a '93 (K-reg) model, the last of the R32's. Thanks for the radiator hose tip, I'm going to have a proper look around the engine bay this weekend, though our initial checks showed everything looks sound.
    I've got a clean license so far, from 2 years driving a Punto, but hopefully I wont gain any points! I'm trawling through Skyline forums, trying to pick the best atm...

Today I had to fuel it for the 3rd time since purchase and have estimated it to be 18mpg, which is shocking compared to the 45+ of my 1.2 Fiat.
    It also hit 140mph fully laden on Sunday.

16. identikit

identikit Minimodder

On the autobahn/private land/race track right? :thumb:

Nice car, I'm tempting to get one, only when I'm 25 though and out of student debt. :lol:

17. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

mate had a gtr r33 2.5t fantastic car, id love one was too much poer for him i think and cops seemed to appear outta everywere

18. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

In light of recent events and multitude of anti-anything-remotely-a-Japanese-sports-coupe, I'm reconsidering even getting a bnr32 anymore. Two gentleman with twin-turbo Corvette C5's were arrested for speeding at 200km/h (in reality, it was 180km/h; Toronto police and media tend to inflate their numbers worse than Enron). The drivers were from the United States and their cars will probably be obliterated here, in Canada, if they apply the same law to them as they do to us.

Here's a very interesting fact: Toronto Police reserve the right to arrest you, seize your vehicle, and destroy it without trial, nor court appeal (or even charges), because it is capable of street racing. Hmm, I dunno. How about seizing the Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG of my employer? Why not? His 612ps, 6.0L twin-turbo V12 isn't enough incentive to suggest that it's "capable of street racing"? Oh boy, you'll might as well buy SUVs, despite petrol prices in high orbit, because they'll arrest you for driving a fuel-efficient Civic with polished-lip wheels and stiffer springs.

What a load of a**sh*t.[/rant][/life]

By the way, I never quite congratulated you on your new car. Verrry niiice... What's the premium from your insurer?

Last edited: 22 Jun 2007
  19. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

NEEDS MOAR BLOWS OFF VALVES!!!!123n+4

J/K. Nice car you got. Just don't slap any bodykit on, keep it looking stock. ;)

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

nice car :cooldude:

Tags: