1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding My new venture Custom Controllers

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DeadP1xels, 30 Apr 2011.

1. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

When spray cans get to the end they spit rather than spray and will ruin your hard work thats what happened to the tiger one and is why it will be sanded down and reused

Make sure your cans have enough and if you think its running to the end don't carry on else you'll end the day :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Thanks for saying that about the pewter one it was only a test to see on the stripes you see on the left the stripes edges are much rougher and on the right there edges are cleaner just to see what looks more authentic

I plan to make a few of my own version controllers with multiple options aswell as 5-6 completely different controllers to see the different things possible not to sell but as show models i can take pictures of and post on the site when done, more to see the variety of things available

Im not sure if i'll do it with people sending there shells in just because it might work out just as easy for me to get used shells clean them to new and then paint them for maybe £5 more which would work out the same to post there shell or controller to me

2. phenoptix

phenoptix What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    This is our scale pic that attempts to show how silly small the LEDs are! Fiyero - did you get them from us? Always best to work on a clear bench over a clear solid floor. Dropping them onto a carpet is game over.

I'd spend a bit of time working out all of your costs with this business (and with any business for that matter!). Pay particular attention to paypal and ebay fees, people often forget about them when costing their items and don't stay in business too long because of it. Probably worth costing a small compressor, airbrush and paints too, not sure how it stacks up against several halford's paint cans but it's worth considering from the outset. Even if it just illustrates the trigger point for a switch over for you it's good to have a plan from the outset that considers all your costs. P&P will be a biggie for you I'd think, considering the man hours you'd be putting in you might want to send each controller special delivery for £5ish rather have your workmanship (and someone's controller!) "lost in the post".

A potential problem with painting other people's controllers is that you might get sent duff controllers and be blamed for the defects on return. Sounds unlikely but I've heard it's happened.

All things to be considered!

3. DeadP1xels

Damn they look fiddly...

Ultimately i've making it simple this time just because its not something i plan to be paying the bills with as of yet

Im going to stick to painting shells and controllers i have and sending them out over somebody elses just because i feel theres a lot less risk for me and them

If i screw something up i just pick up another controller and start again and call it a bad job.... (assuming it was a serious hardware screw up)

Im not really sure were im starting in terms of a product line

Do i sell full shells? is there going to be any form of base products or will it just be me making them and selling them as i see fit?

I figure if i stick to base products i can keep making the production cheaper by buying the same paints but im putting myself down to very small varietys on what i can do in terms of colour schemes and finish

I also need to think of accessorie stocks, how much of each type of button should i keep in stock? 1 of each maybe as im not likely to be flooded with orders and replace that set of button as i go same with thumbsticks.

Im not sure whether i should go with prepainted triggers and bumpers aswell as micplates just to save time on the fiddly bits so you would have top base and battery pack/play charge all in a artic camo then white micplate triggers bumpers and thumbsticks to match.

I guess this gives people more options to continue customizing to match

I have alot to consider and even writing it in this post i would be here for hours...

4. TSDAdam

TSDAdam Beard!

Loving the mods, and been looking around most of the afternoon (err.. I mean working hard, obviously) to try and find some good suppliers of replacement buttons, sticks, triggers and 'bow ties', does anyone know of any decent ones, or is it ebay-a-go-go?

I'd like to start with that, then maybe get sanding and spraying with an old pad I've got kicking around. :)

5. Fiyero

Fiyero Vindaloovian

Thanks DP, I think it'll be a case of getting some fresh cans and doing a proper job from the start. If I cut corners it'll just cost me more putting it right.
    I recommend having a bit of a look through Ebay and seeing what people put custom controllers up for. The prices tend to be really overpriced and most of the work I've seen so far has been nowehere near the standard of finish you achieve. So I think you could undercut the current crop by a decent amount and still make a respectable profit too. Plus people are willing to pay for quality.

I'd say put all your ideas down here. There's a lot of very intelligent people and I imagine skilled/experienced people here too who can help you get a solid start.

I don't think I did get them from you guys, but had I been a bit more aware I would have. However I do need a new set since the ones I have are purple, and I will be wanting yellow set so I'll be ordering from you when I do!

6. DeadP1xels

There are some wholesalers that sell it really cheap

Ebay is a pretty good start but can work out very expensive for essentially bits of plastic...

9mm buttons = £6ish
    DPAD = £6ish
    Bullet Guide = £7

Thats almost the cost of another controller :hehe:

7. DeadP1xels

Always a good idea to start with all your tools ready :)

Thanks mate i hope i can reach a position that gets me good sales some of them are extremely overpriced

I think to achieve a good resale price im going to have to start making my own 9mm bullet buttons and d pads or make something seriously cool and worth the money