1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics My ongoing GTX580 problem - Anyone shed some light?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by chris66, 14 Feb 2011.

1. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

good to know.. nvidia does have a lot of power being pulled by these cards- and they've already shown to blow when oc'd with the original drivers (least on the 590)

probably a design issue if enough people complain

2. chris66

chris66 Member

It can be very frustrating, especially given the cost of these cards. I deliberatly chose NOT to have a 590, as after reading all I could on them, I concluded that perhaps they are pushing the power and PCI-E lanes a little too far - and even though money isn't such a big issue, I would still feel pretty gutted to have bought what could be an inherently faulty product.

It can be very frustrating, especially given the cost of these cards. I deliberately chose NOT to have a 590, as after reading all I could on them, I concluded that perhaps they are pushing the power and PCI-E lanes a little too far - and even though money isn't such a big issue, I would still feel pretty gutted to have bought what could be an inherently faulty product.
    It was strange that my initial EVGA GTX580 stopped working in the PCI-E x16 slots within a week, but worked in the x8 slots – and worked in other motherboards in the x16 slots (but not the x16 slots in my UD7 mobo) – (We have four PC’s and three laptops in our house, so no shortage of parts to swap and try…)

Perhaps there are more like this out there, but some don’t realise – not everyone checks their GPU is running at x8/16 – and even Scan didn’t do this on the first RMA, only the second time they had it back did they check using GPUZ. There must have been something wrong with it, though, as I had the GPU/VGA beep errors when booting (one long and three short beeps). Perhaps my first GPU ran at x8 from the off, and I didn’t realise, as I never thought to check. (have put together many ‘top end’ PC’s in the past, and the GPU and CPU have always been the most solid of components – with about a 25% fail rate with mobos and 15% for memory –and perhaps 10% for HDD’s) – but never GPU’s.

Perhaps due to the worsening economic situation, these GPU’s are having corners cut and being made more cheaply for the same outlay to the end user, I don’t know – the fact that the initial 590’s could catch fire is quite shocking for a product that costs so much money.

3. Jori

Jori New Member

Yeha, it sounds very reasonable that the problem resides on the power issue, but only god knows what.

I did send the GPU + mobo to my seller, and they have very conclusioned that the problem was the GPU. They echanged with another Zotac GPU, and it worked well.

Faulty GPU in that case too, but this time from Zotac's GPU, not EVGA like you Chris. But it's curious that was the same problem on two cards. Well, it's curious too, the fact as you say that your EVGA was running ok the first six days.

I have the new GPU welcome back, and my system mounted and running perfectly for now. I'm going to cross fingers hoping that my GTX don't die in the first days of his life like you happened, hehe, hope not!

One thing that I don't know is if my seller tended to put the GPU on another model of board. I belive that you managed to work your faulty GPU 580 on another board in the PCI-E x16, right?
    Perhaps the problem is still the GA-P67A-UD7???? It's crazy, but we will never know.

I have not checked yet if the GPU is running well on the system. I mean... have not passed any software to test it. But apparently runs perfectly, in Windows, in games, in 3D function...

Well, it was good to find your post's chris. Have helped very much to recapacite and know where the problem was oriented, but overall, the sensation that i was not the only person in the world that had this problem.

For now, i have a lot of work squezzing games and testing my beast.

See ya guys ;)

4. chris66

chris66 Member

Hi Jori, Glad you got it sorted in the end - regarding the x16 question, I am stone cold sure that it never ran at x16, but always x8 - this wasn't picked up by Scan until they ran GPUZ.