1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Power Supply caught on fire

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dash, 7 Mar 2003.

1. Dash

Dash What's a Dremel?

I started getting loud sounds from my hard drives(as if they where moving twice the speed as normal). So I unplugged some drives from my comp and it worked fine again.

I then decided to clean out the comp and redo all the wires just to make sure it was ok and after I re-did everything and turned it on I noticed flames from my power supply and a *poof* of smoke came out follwed by a horrible smell. So I quickly turn it off and waited awhile to see if it worked again. Well it posts but my power surge protecter shuts everything down due to a "Overload" from the comp

It was a Emerex 431 power supply and my questions were....

Is this normal or did I buy a cheap used good for nothing power supply :(

and anyone live or die by a certain power supply since I now have to buy another one

Thank you for any help or information you can provide

-Dash

P.S. Don't know if this is important but in the HardWare Monitor it now shows in RED the power fan speed @ 1541 RPM

Thank you again

2. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

do u mean Enermax rather than Emerex? ppl are kind of un decided about enermaxs...some say they are good, whiles others insist they are a POS

3. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

get a real psu and im sure it wont happen...

4. Dash

Dash What's a Dremel?

Yes sorry about that it was a Enermax that I bought used last august

5. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Sure you didn't flick the 110V - 230V switch to the wrong setting?

6. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

A friends PSU went bang the other day

Looks like it took out the motherboard too. Not good

7. Dash

Dash What's a Dremel?

no everything was the same but now it looks like the credit card is going to take a hit......

/me hides from repo man

8. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

Antec True Power, solid as a rock and quiet to

9. Dash

Dash What's a Dremel?

Antec True Power is one.....I just pick one up at store and everything is back to normal

10. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

If you do that, the power supply will go bang very quickly. Basically as soon as you put the power cord in and switch the mains on, the PSU will pop, and probably take half the motherboard with it.

11. VadimtheConqueror

VadimtheConqueror I love the little tacos...

you know, in the past i've flicked that switch(was about 7, wanted t osee what it did) and all that happened was the computer didnt turn on, was easily fixed by putting the switch back to it's normal position. does it only kill the thing if you have 230V power and set it for 110V? or was i just really damn lucky?

12. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

Last time I checked, there was a big fuss about enermax power supplies, because they didn't offer any kind of warranty.

Most manufacturers will offer some kind of warranty and would replace certain components if it could be shown that they were destroyed as a result of the power supply not doing its job as specified. Not enermax. I remember on of Hypothermia's Killer Gaming Rig competitions being put on hold because the Enermax power supply they were using fried just about everything but the drives.

Not good.

I've been using an ENHANCE 430W power supply for just over a year now, and no problems. It is designed for Server/workstation use, and has loads of 12V connectors for multiple drives. Has one of the highest 12V current ratings I have ever seen.

Not sure where you'd get them from now. I got mine from overclock.co.uk, but they don't seem to sell them anymore.

8-ball

13. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Yeah, it'll only go bang if your supply is 240V and you set it to 110V.

14. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

My old 230 watt PSU is the toughest PSU I have ever come across, it is still working just fine after 5 years of usage, in that time it has been dropped, taken a massive power surge at uni (that killed a few other comps in the surrounding area), had beer thrown on it by thugs who broke into my room at uni in the first year, has survived torture treatment by operating for weeks on end in hot conditions... tough old thing.

15. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

what i find funny is that you noticed flames and big poofs of smoke, then you turned it back on :D:D:D

gimme an OEM PSU anyday please :) i have never heard a complaint about them :)

16. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

I've gone through FOUR OEM PSU's in the past 2 years - I've gotten only Enermax's to replace them - so far they've been the best I've ever used, regardless of the reports.

Oh well. :sigh:

17. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

That's how it used to be. Everyone swore by enermax, but over time it seems that either the PSUs are wearing down quickly, or enermax's standards aren't the same and they're getting mixed results.
    Different users will always find different results, but enermax gets quite the range.

I have a cheap antec PSU and have yet to have a problem with it.