1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Project

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by M_D_K, 22 Sep 2003.

1. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

My Project
    [Feel free to add a name]

Here’s my project so far what I’m going to do is hit you with images then explain afterwards.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Images 1-5 – These images are of the case after it got back from the painters, with its nice new skin of Silver and Blue out sides.

Image 6 -The mounting of the reservoir which required me to cut a slot in the top of the case to take the tubes. This was done with a 19mm hole saw and a dremel by drilling to holes with a cap in the middle then removing the middle bit using the dremel I was able to have a slot big enough to accept both the pipes. I then covered the edge with some blow hole trim so that it wouldn’t cut into the pipes, the pipes didn’t touch the metal but I was being extra specially careful.

Image 7 – this image shows some of the insides of the case when it was dark and with only a single Blue Cathode on inside the case it gives it a nice affect which I wasn’t expecting so it was an added bonus really :D.

Image 8 – This is a slightly old image of the front of the case I have since made some changes which I will post later, it shows the HDD drive cooler and the front view of the reservoir along with the Bit-tech grill which went a bit pear shopped although I am trying to sort it out and am negotiating with the guy to get a hole new front custom cut :D which will be cool :p [stay tuned].

Image 9 – Another close up of the front grill, not very exciting but I thought id add it in anyway.

I will be updating in a few days when I can get some nice images of the case :D. I have since cut a hole in the front metal insert of the case added an LCD some new grills and a few more bits and bobs.

Comments are welcome as usual.

2. Penguin4x4

Penguin4x4 What's a Dremel?

Is that front grill supposed to be the BiT Tech Logo or "407"? :eyebrow: Otherwise, nice job, :clap: and nice watchband tan line, :worried: :hehe:

3. kevbarlas

kevbarlas What's a Dremel?

nice
    but it looks like someone never took there watch off while getting a suntan ;)

4. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

-Update-

-Update-

Quick update for you as before images then explanations

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Image 1 – Front of the case an update shot for you, this is showing the metal insert that goes in between the case and the Perspex on the front. The hole was cut with image 3. Also in this image you can just see the Evolution 1 hard drive cooler glowing with its 3 leds back lighting the front plexi with the aluminium front plate.
    Also there is my 2x20 backlite lcd that is just resting in the slot till I get it mounted properly.

Image 2 – Night shot of the front, this shows the Evo glowing slightly better due to there isn’t much light pollution from anywhere else just the Evo glowing in all its glory

Image 4 – Shows the aluminium fans that I have got for this project. Im showing the as a before image for a later date as I have just sent one of them to be sand blasted today to see how it comes out then I hope to polish it up to a nice shine and mount it on the radiator will eventually get them all sand blasted and polished so I can have one on each side of the Radiator and another 2 for my other project. These are aluminium framed Papst fans and have been told they are very good.
    I have made a little Rheobus using the bit-tech article, and some rheostats acquired from bit-tech.

Image 5 – This image shows the little test run I did with a heatsink I had laying around, I think it came out damn shiny and if I had done a little bit more work it would of came out nice.
    The process of shining as follows
    Step 1 – start off by getting some different grit sandpapers, I used 600-1200 paper. The 1200 grit is used to remove scratches form the surface and as a final finish, use higher grit if you have I also used a little bit of 2500 paper which finished off nice :D.
    Step 2 – Next up you want to find some Brasso[Metal Polish] and a clean piece of cloth, an old T-shirt is the best :D. Make sure it’s not a good one I did mention OLD. Start by applying some of the polish to the cloth and then working in circles, rub it into the metal until the surface goes all black and the cloth is dirty, then get another piece of cloth this is your wiping off cloth and rub the surface down till its clean. Repeat this till your happy with the finish.
    Step 3 – Finishing the shine off, I got some auto motive chrome polish for my local halfords. It’s called Peek-Metal Polish, this was the finisher. There are many ways you can do this as above with lots of Elbow grease or how I did it.
    Run down to the garage, switch on your compressor and grip your Automotive polishing tool it basically looks like a tiny sander but its fitted with a polishing pad I’ll get an image for you tomorrow. Right get a clean piece of cloth and lay it on a flat surface then put some of the peek cleaner on it and dab the tool in it and then switch on and work the surface of the metal in circular motions till it goes all dirty then plug in the other polishing tool and remove dirt and buff up :D. repeat till shiny :D

Hope that helps

More to come tomorrow when i take more piccies :D

Thought id post my current temps as well
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Above temps update every 5 minutes :D

Last edited: 23 Sep 2003
  5. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Is it just me or is the grill on the front upside down... No wait, it's on its side and back to front..

[edit] Didn't read the text... So was it a cock-up on the end of whoever cut it? They should do another for free...

6. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

no its pissed up im in nitogiations with the CNC guy to get a new front done :p and insert so keep and eye out cause i'll be having a custom front with LCD mount and everything

[Edit] Yeah was a cock up they didn't follow my design right with arrows and everything lol, i didn't pay for it in the first place and yeah im getting it for free agian :p. I get most stuff for free the perks of Parents owning a sheet metal company.

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

looks pimp at the moment :clap:

cant wait to see it finished :rock:

8. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Thanks dude will have some hardware updates for you ppl soon you tomorrow.
    just waiting for a few pieces to come through

Got the ram need the CPU and GFX card now

9. thorilan

thorilan What's a Dremel?

i like your top mounting of the res

10. FlashPanHunter

FlashPanHunter What's a Dremel?

Wow, it looks really nice. I agree that the res mounting is cool. The paint job is fantastic also, are the sides the same colour as well?

11. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

thanks i like the res also and yeah the sides top and front plate are the same colour :D will update later when i take this beast apart to add in the new components that arrived today :D

Bring the XP2500 goodness and PC4000 DDR

12. flacowboy

flacowboy What's a Dremel?

looks good love the res where u put looks sharp and and aprox what didu pay for the paint job ball parkl figure (looking to get mine done )

13. madest

madest What's a Dremel?

Does enyone know where i could find large bit tech logo for my case ??
    Does enyone have drawing ?

14. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

EMPTY!!!! :rock: :clap: :clap:

Cooooooool dude :D Keep it up! :thumb:

15. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Thanks man i'll be updating slowly when i get to uni lol 56k is great :D :thumb:

16. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

lol mdk, *pats him on the back* shame

17. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

im using the uni libary at the moment cause i got no modem lol need to look for one lol its been so long since i've had to us a modem :waah: but hey its still internet so im happy.

Not much will be happening to the case im gonna try and finish it while im here so updates will be slow.

18. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Dude.. I thought you got broadband at uni.. that sucks :/
    *back on topic*
    Still.. the case is looking good.
    *off topic again*

what uni you at now? do you still want those bits

19. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

am at portsmouth Uni and yeah i'll grab the bits off you wehn you come and see me :D

also no braodband i have applied for it htough so i'll have to wait and see

20. madest

madest What's a Dremel?

Can enyone help with bit tech logo ?