1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding My questions thread: motherboards

Discussion in 'Modding' started by siliconfanatic, 24 Jan 2013.

1. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

Why don't you post a drawing of what you're wanting to do, then we can advise you better.

2. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Drawing of what, exactly? Alls I'm doing is making several channels in it. A good 1cm wide, and three mm deep. Al spaced by abt. 4mm. A couple of passes by the dremel. Not cutting all the way through the acrylic. The acrylic will be 1.5cm thick, due to certain.. components and cable managment.

3. Furball Zen

4. siliconfanatic

I'm already using a router for one thing. I am not that accurate. But seeing as The router uses a dremel I said dremel. That is, If you catch my somewhat confusing drift.

Router table Accessory? Why Would I want/ need something like that? Seems perfectly superfluous to me as The router is already as accurate As I need it to be. The main reason Its being upgraded is for structural integrity. So Back to the question: what is that accessory, why should I use it, etc, seeing as its probably overpriced :lol:

5. Furball Zen

Do you speak English or not? Do you have a router or Dremel? A router table uses a router, but a Dremel is hand held tool that has a router table accessory to use it as a 'table router'.

6. siliconfanatic

Oi!
    it is a router, home built. It uses a D.R.E.M.E.L. to cut everything. No attachment required. No fancy lubrication sytems, superfluous attachments on it. Though the control board and program are more than capable of running all that, we don't have it.
    So, if anything the dremel is the attachment here seeing as i can use almost anything in its place. Catch my drift?

And yes! I do speak english.:thumb: The mexicans/foreigners who don't can learn or swim back across the river. :p (Not to anyone on this site luckily.)

7. Furball Zen

Well, no. That sounds like a cnc, but w/e.

Does it cut from above or below? If you set up a fence to guide your cutting then you can just pass it over the bit and take like a millimeter or so in depth, adjust the depth and run it through again, adjust the fence and repeat.

siliconfanatic likes this.
  8. siliconfanatic

Erm fence? Do you mean the floor/0 height? And it cuts from above. Didnt know some cut from below but hey, ya learn something every day! ;)

9. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

Some even cut from the side

10. siliconfanatic

That kind i've seen in-action. Got to use one, even. Course that was a full-blown cnc.

11. Furball Zen

This is a router with table (i have this model)

[​IMG]

This is a Dremel

[​IMG]

This is a Dremel with the router table accessory

[​IMG]

This is a router table fence, you use it to guide your work piece past the router bit

[​IMG]

Do i make myself clear now?

12. siliconfanatic

I have several dremels and know how to use google. Maybe be a tad less assenine with your posts? Even if you don't intend you still come across as hostile. You aren't talking to a 5-year old so pointing it out is unessesary.

I have a homebuilt router with a dremel spinning the bit. Clear? It is called a router. Cnc-like, but not a true cnc. Yeah, you program the route, but its not full-blown cnc. No lube, 3- axis but capable of 4, it has no lathe(forget exactly what you call it), and is rather stubborn(proverbially)

If you are not well versed, then it could be called a router-cnc. Now that I look close I do believe gramps had onea few years back, as that setup looks incredibly vaguely familier.

The main reason I said a couple of passes with the dremel is that its what is acually cutting/w/e the acrylic, dig?

Last edited: 18 Feb 2013
  13. Furball Zen

Im not asinine or hostile, youre using the wrong terms and expecting proper answers. You cant use router and dremel and cnc and have them mean the same things is all im trying to say.

Now that we are clear, i still think the best thing to do is get the proper tools, in this case either a real router/table (mine cost $100 or the Dremel router accessory (ive seen under $40), this is because i have no clue what youre using or how it works and it seems you are unclear on that too.

The_Crapman likes this.
  14. siliconfanatic

Actually Im not unclear. I know what I'm using and to me its a router- but vernaculars vary greatly. I'll try and post a pic or two to give you an idea of my position tomorrow. Here is everything that I can say without confusion on both ends:

IT uses stepper motors, 1 per axis.
    Controlled via G-code/mach 3
    None of the bells and whistles that seem to be common(or somewhat)
    Wood/metal hybrid construction. Soon to be all-metal with high-grade ball bearings
    Uses a dremel To cut. Dremel is not controlled as of yet.
    Just to point out how tough it is: It was originally built with cutting 1-3mm thick Plywood in mind. So its being called on to go above and beyond what it was made to do.

also: you may not have been asinine or hostile but it seemed like it at the time.

15. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

You are being unclear
    What you have is a CNC router, generally 2.5 axis (no interpolation on the 3rd axis, just acts as a static "positioner" on the 3rd axis) and meant for flat items

[​IMG]

not to be confused with a CNC mill which is meant for multi-axis interpolation and generally a more cubic working area, and a lot more rigid then a router
    [​IMG]

not to be confused with a router
    [​IMG]
    or router
    [​IMG]

There is no "CNC like" its using motors and CNC control software and G code, so its a CNC router, regardless of capabilities. Dont ask for a "bit" in a machine shop and expect someone to know exactly what youre talking about, when it could vary from an end mill, to drill bit, to carbide bur, to a bit for a horse's bridal.

Also, relevant to the original topic, look at using isopropyl alcohol carefully applied as a coolant. Dont try and use it as a flood coolant, just get a squirt bottle and directly apply it to the tool as it cuts. It wont haze the plastic, it should keep the plastic plenty cool as you cut, and the low surface tension means it will penetrate into the cut well. Keep a fire extinguisher handy, a brushed motor in the dremel and alcohol vapor could get exciting™ if fumes are allowed to concentrate.

Furball Zen likes this.
  16. siliconfanatic

Thank you. Thats what I wanted to know. Any general rpm limit? Like don't go above #### rpm but anything below is fine? And good point about that nice little bon fire that could pop up :worried:

does cnc/router router/cnc make that much of a difference?

And no offence, but that laptop makes OURS look modern :p(ancient dell thinkpad)

Last edited: 20 Feb 2013
  17. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Yes, it makes a huge difference. If you said CNC Dremel router, or just "Dremel router", there might have been less bickering and condescension.

Stepper motors and G-code? It's a CNC-controlled Dremel.

You don't have much choice when it comes to 1/8"-shank bits, so just try a piece of scrap material with a straight-cutting bit with shallow passes at low speed. If that doesn't work, switch to high speed.

I'm not familiar with cutting speed rates, but if you're not up for trial and error there should be guidelines floating around the web.

18. siliconfanatic

New request above. Don't hurt me if those standards make me look like a 'tard :worried:

19. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

5 pci-e 3.0 slots??? :eyebrow:

20. siliconfanatic

yep:D. Unless 3.0 aint out yet :worried:
    I have a VERY bad habit of sleep-posting
    :worried:

If you really wanna know why; All I really am willing to say is quad sli and Dedicated Physx ;)