1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development My Son Wants To Be A Programmer.

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheEclipse, 19 Aug 2007.

1. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

100% Agree.

C# is what is known as a "Just In Time" language, it's not compiled untill the last minute and I've only seen it really used in XNA (a very slow framework), it teaches poor standards.

And makes me cry.

2. tzang

tzang Traditional Nutter

C# :duh:

On the subject of books, Deitel books are pretty good since I started off with them on Java 6 years ago and it has taken me quite far with programming. I followed their book on C++ later and found it pretty straightforward. The Sams 24 hour books are sometimes useful but they have the annoyances of trying to force programming styles to readers, such as "don't use global variables, they are evil and real programmers don't use them" (not a direct quote but it was similar).

3. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

is C# really that bad for learning to code, if it is why is multiple uninversty's/techs using them for 1st year programming papers?

4. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

For the same reason that they teach BASIC in first year.

start with C or C++. Java is acceptable too.

5. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

Hmm so far I know how to do TPASM RISC Asyembler for PICS and have just ordered the folowing books:
    Absolute Beginner's Guide to C (Paperback) - To learn the basics
    The C Programming Language (2nd Edition) (Paperback) - Refrance

I am in a strange position that I know loads about hardware and simple software but nothing about high level languages. I mainly want it to interface microproccesors with my computer without everything been the hackey mess that is basic.