1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My trip to the Social Security office

Discussion in 'General' started by Dad, 14 Sep 2005.

1. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Okay, I've got to vent. Bear with me, it's kind of a long story...

A few weeks ago I misplaced my drivers license and so I went to the NY State Dept of Motor Vehicles yesterday to get a replacement one. I decided that since I got pulled over for speeding last weekend and a NY State Trooper got perturbed when I told him that I misplaced my license a while ago, it was a good time to get my license replaced. Yea, I know, I should have done it sooner, but I kept putting it off. Anyone who's ever been to the NY State DMV will understand why. Well, they said for proof of who I am, one of the things I needed was my Social Security card. Okay, now I lost that damn thing in a move 15ish years ago so I went to the Social Security office durring lunch. Ugh. Mistake #1. After waiting for over an hour, my number was called.

I went up the the bullet proof window seperating the lady from me with all kinds of documents in hand. I pre-filled out the correct forms, brought plenty of identification, sat down and told her what i was there for. I told her, gave her the filled out paperwork and she asked for my drivers license for ID. I re-explained why I needed a replacement Social Security card and told her that I had many other forms of ID. I produced my ORIGINAL from 1968 birth certificate, Chemung County Sheriff's ID, medical insurance card, W2 from last year's taxes along with the filed tax return, recent pay stubbs, a MasterCard, Visa, court paperwork from my divorce, for good measure, an old drivers license and my employee ID. Now, in order for me to get that employee ID, I needed a ton of identification as I work at a hospital. None of that was good enough for them. I asked what I CAN bring in leiu of a driver's license and she told me a letter from my doctor on his stationary indicating who I am. Uh, okay. I mentioned again that I work at a hospital and told her how easy it would be for me to get a piece of letterhead from ANY doctor and type the damn thing myself. Plus, I'm curious as to what a doctor has to do with any of this. I never have shown him any ID of who I am, he doesn't know my Social Security number and doesn't even have my leagal address (I have bills sent to a Post Office box)! She said that it's all due to 9/11. Right. See ya. Thanks for nothing.

The funny thing about all this is to work here at the hospital, because I have access to very confidential information (medical records, social security numbers, credit card numbers, etc), I needed to show many forms of ID (birth certificate, driver's license & sheriff's ID) along with going through a background check. I don't understand why my employee ID, which has my picture, birthdate AND social security number on it, isn't good enough.

My questions for the group are:
    1> What does a doctor have to do with who I am?

2> Since I work at a hospital and have access to doctors offices and their letterhead, how secure can that form of "identification" be?

3> Why does it seem that every single government agency blames everything on 9/11?

2. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

Crazy....its just crazy!!! I have no idea how a doctor can tell a government agency who a person is or is not. But i can suggest that any reform that happened after 9/11 is being blamed on that as its the easiest thing to tell employees. "Save the technobabble...just blame 9/11 and well get them to do anything" senario

3. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

just red tape ********.....

but yeah..its kinda scary thinking about it..but i think some american systems are sooo winded up about tthe 9/11 that its near impossable to do anything concering peoples security and information...

i feel sorry for you dad...i hope u can get thru this BS and kick some ass at the social security office..to get ur drivers licence!!

4. RTT

RTT #parp

If it's anything like it is here in the UK, doctors and teachers (and a few other professions that i forget right now) are classed as 'professionals'. You need someone in one of these professions to sign stuff like passport and drivers licence application forms.

5. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Yea, okay, MAYBE I can understand that. But my whole beef is that I have full and complete access to about 30 / 35 doctors offices who all have letterhead and I can just grab a piece of. Hell, what's to keep me from making my own letterhead all fancy and put a fake doctor's name on it, a fake name for me and get a NEW social security number? That has to be the most assenine, insecure forms of ID ever!

6. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I think I agree with you there!

In the UK, for a passport, drivers license or and some other stuff, the only thing you need is the birth cercificate, that is all, nothing else! I feel sorry for you, and having to wait hours too! Can you not do it via the post? They usually get back to us within a few days in the UK, lucky us I guess!

7. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

God, I can't imagine how long that would take. I did find out that it would take 2 weeks to get a replacement card even if I had all the proper ID and went to the Social Security administration office in person. The paperwork an governmental bureaucracy in this country is beyond comprehension. No wonder our taxes are so friggin high.

8. RTT

RTT #parp

I should have said that I completely and utterly agree with you ;)

9. Soulfly22583

Soulfly22583 What's a Dremel?

1 - If a doctor is found to have forged documents for you then they loose their license to practice medicine.

2 - Most people dont work at hospitals, you just happen to be in a lucky position to get around 'the proper channels".. you can get the letter head, type up the letter and hand it over. But if they do a follow up with the doctor and he has no idea about it then its your ass.

3 - Think about it, now anytime someone gets pissed off at a new rule or a new procedure (in the sense of the NY SS office) they can just say "ow because of 9/11 we do things this way and can do nothing to change it" basically its a quick way to shut you (the customer) up and send you on your way.

10. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Part of the reason for having the doctor sign something is that "traditionally" people had a family doctor who you went to ever since you were a kid who scraped your knee playing marbles. In theory this guy is meant to know you down to the ground and can say "I know who this man is - He is Dad. Now give him his social security card." In this day and age I see a different doctor any time something is wrong (just too many quacks in the medical centre) so I personally feel that this is a less and less acceptable form of ID (to me anyway).

As has been stated before you're just in a luckier position to most of us. Surely one of your doc friends will write out the stupid letter if you explain what's going down?

11. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

True, but doctors generaly do not keep documents on you other than your medical history and insurance information for ease of billing. They have no idea where I was born, my social security number or anything relating to any legal aspect of my life.

Again, true, however there are a LOT of people who do. We're a mid-size regional hospital, have 1600 employees and are the 2nd largest employer in this area so there are a lot of people who can be in that situation.

My whole argument is that a "doctors letter" is a very, very poor excuse for any form of documentation other than medical treatement.

I have already talked with my doctor who I bumped into over in the emergency room a little while ago. He laughed and couldn't believe what I was asking him to do, but has written me a letter none-the-less. He also asked me if I wanted an excuse to get out of gym class (Physical Education / PE / Phys ED). :\

12. Adnuo

Adnuo Banned

I feel the same way right now about the whole ID thing. 3 years ago, age of 13, I decided it would be a good idea to get a state ID, because school ID just doesn't cut it at the bank and such. So I bring in my birth certificate and my ss card, and they say it's not enough. They tell me I need some form of state ID to get my state ID... I tell them that makes no sense, and after 2 hours of back and forth, finally get my app in. Getting my permit was no problem, because I had that state ID. However, I recently got my license. Again, getting it was no problem, but I'm still waiting on my actual card license, almost 3 months later. Why? Because they tell me "I already have a state ID". I had the thing invalidated when I got my permit, and it's not been a problem since. However, they want me to bring the clipped ID (which has long since been shredded and trashed) and the shoddy piece of paper they mailed to me to the DMV where I got my license. There's only one DMV with a testing facility in the south metro, and it's an hour and 45 minutes away. A hassle, especially with gas prices where they are. Plus, I don't even have the thing! I keep putting off going there and getting it taken care of, because the DMV is a portal to hell.

Getting worked by the government is such a hassle, and all this "in the interest of safety". Tell me how restricting me from getting my card license (I still have my permit and the proper papers ffs) is going to aid national security...

13. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

I think you should do it and create yourself a realworld identity of Mr. Dad. See if they notice. See if they even look. :D

14. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Hahahaha!!! I like that idea! Only thing is that knowing my luck with dealing with the government, they would want to make an example of me and be put in the federal pen.

Maybe I should get a legal address in Canada, get a Canadian drivers license and come back to New York to get a NY license. Probably would be easier than this running around :D

15. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Jeez, it seems that the American license systems do not work together, you need that thing to get this, but need this to get that. Just ridiculous! Why doesn't the gov. just make everything standard?

16. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! <deep breath> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Yea, right! Do you realize that if government started making sense, things might actually get done efficiently and we may not need as much "big government" interfering in our lives? Blasphemy!

Exactly. That's 100% accurate on how things work. One system doesn't know what the other is doing and it's been that way as long as I can remember.

17. empyrean

empyrean What's a Dremel?

Heh. My first driver's license was issued in the state of Georgia. After being pulled over for "looking suspicious," (ie: racial profiling for tinted windows in the south) the guy saw that I was white and busted me instead for ... having a driver's permit without anyone 18 or older in the car.

The clerk at the backwood's DMV had mistakenly issued me a permit instead of a license. It looked identical to a license except for some small thing I (nor anyone else) had never noticed.

I immediately went back to the DMV, explained the situation, and they walked me once more through the entire process of tests/fees/requirements. This time they flagged my Florida drug education class as unacceptable and made me attend one in Georgia instead. I had to go to the class (exact same as in Florida), go to court (I was told it was a waste of time to contest the charges) and pay a hefty fine for the aforementioned ticket, then ended up waiting several weeks before I finally received a genuine driver's license. At the age of 18, two years after receiving it the first time.

I love bureaucracy.

18. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

That's terrible, I'd just walk TBH :D

edit: Hell anyone could sneak into a hospital and pocket some headed paper, or indeed as you said Dad, make one yourself at home. Give them a fake address, and *poof*, one new identity.

19. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

you can do most of your passport application online in the UK now :cool:
    fill in the online form, submit it, they post you the paper form pre-filled with your details, you just have to stick a photo on it and sign it etc

20. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Minimodder

jeez.. i'm not that old and i remember when you could get a new id with a birth certificate and an SSN in fact, i suspect my dad of doing this when he and mum were going through the divorce.. a check made out to both of them never got to mum for endorsement (which she wouldn't have done anyway...). $10k vanished. i think he got his girlfriend to pose as mum and sign the check. new id + sig on back of check and dad is $10k richer. mum relented, mostly b/c she got the house and was smart enough to empty the joint accounts 1st :D .

anyway, that seems a tad much even for the entrenched bureaucracy... if it was me, i would have given you a new card. 9/11.. hah!