1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My turn.....Project Green Light (01-09-03)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cowinacape, 2 Sep 2003.

1. Cowinacape

Cowinacape What's a Dremel?

My turn.....Project Green Light (01-09-03) 56k WARNING!!

Hey all thought I would take a kick at the cat, and present a work log as well (comments welcome). Please exscuse the numbered square as I snatched the pictures off of my l'il web site and moved them here. Thanks to Adam, and his uploadit.org service!

So here goes......to start off with I picked up two of these[​IMG]

The first thing I did was too, take the two door panels with the handles, and remove them, and then use borh side (bolted together) as the center wall of the two cases.[​IMG]

Giving me this net result to start with[​IMG]

Last edited: 3 Sep 2003
  2. Cowinacape

here's somemore......

So one of the first hurdles to over come was the mounting of the rads and their shrouds fans ect.... what I came up with to do this was bending a single cross shapped piece of plexi around the entire assembly, here's a shot of the basic layout I worked with...[​IMG]

After the preliminary bending, I wound up with this [​IMG] you'll see some bubling in the plexi, nothing that can't be redone (it looks a lot worse in the pictures than in real life, and this was my first attemp at bending plexi so not to bad.)

The final product turned out like this........[​IMG] keep in mind those chrome fans are going to be replace with 120mm green led ones;)

Last edited: 2 Sep 2003
  3. Cowinacape

Next I moved on to some metal working, the first thing to go was the stamped in front fan grills, as well as three of the four hard drive racks where removed as well, leaving me with this....[​IMG] what you are seeing here is one of the above radiator units poking out the front.

The back fan stamps where also removed, I am especially glad I did this after finding out that those cool looking CCFL fan grills don't fit in the regualr chieftec styled fan mounts [​IMG] these holes will look much nicer with a simple wire grill, than the stamped in deal.

4. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

You could have did all that in one post.

Btw, Good work.

5. Cowinacape

Next I turned my atention to the front grills, time to ad a little bit of life to them, as you can see on the one sid eof the grill I removed the molded in vien, and replaced it with a square piece of plastruct tubing, to give the LED's more set back so that they would be more evenly matched with the other side of the grill, as seen here.....[​IMG]
    --------------------
    as posted buy Dtn8tr...
    "You could have did all that in one post."

My brilliant reply
    :duh:
    ---------------------
    Here's a quick shot of the assembly before installing it [​IMG]

Here's a shot of both grills lit up together, I know this has been down before, but I am still happy with the results, [​IMG]

Now everything that has been done up to this point has already been done by others (except for the red mounts, not seen anyone else do that), and here is where project Green Light, goes into operation Anti Shine (ooohhhh melo dramatic or what :D )

With the amazing work being done by so many on these forums right now, it was time to take things in a bit of a different direction, enough I say of all that shinny paint, that looks like it's got three inches of hand rubbed lacqure on it. The original insperation for my project was the Matrix movie series, after seeing the Matrix Revisited several times, now my vision has become more focused, after listening to the design gurus in Revisited, I got the insperation I needed to get into this project with a full head of steam. What follows is my own little trip down the rabbit hole........

The out side of the case, will be used to repersent the "real world", think of how the real world is dirty, and put together with spare parts chewing gum and bailing wire, the inside (this will be the tough part will be used to repersent the matrix, where we have the clean well put together geometrically sound world, designed by machines.........

So here is where I start to veer from the "norm" below you can see my own personal form of appliqued metal, each piece being cut to fit it's intended area as I go, no formal plan, just winging it, and in keeping with the design princaples of the movie, on the out side of the case I am not trying to make everything look absolutely perfect, for my wants it has to look as though it was done by hand, and in what my be called a hap hazard way at times.
    [​IMG]

After a coat of primmer (which will also be the base colour) the first side is finished, and ready for it's final washes of colour, there is a small crack in the top right hand piece of plexi that will need to be addressed as well, I never noticed it untill after I had already started to paint, such is life though. [​IMG]

If you'll notice the area that is being pointed to by the number 1, that is closer to what the final look will be for the outside of the case, that is the same gray primmer, after several washes of burn and raw umber & sienna, as well a titanium white, india ink, moss green ect. Using mixtures of washes,with highly thined artists acrylics, and dry brushing on higher raised areas.

The opening on the right hand side will also recieve a similar 'scene" to it as well. There will be a few more of these through out as well.

Below is just a quick shot of that same area at night (done in photoshop, as my camera doesn't seem to like to pick up reds at night...[​IMG]

Lastly (for now) is this little mod I did to a pair of HDD coolers simply dyed them black then added two red LED's to each 40mm fan....[​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Sep 2003
  6. The Spyder

The Spyder What's a Dremel?

pretty good so far.... but i see one HUGE problem....

you NEVER paint the fins of a heater core, it cuts thermal transfer in like 1/2 because it has to cool through the paint :(

7. Cowinacape

I didn't paint entierly through them, (yes them I am using two rads) but being as I am using a p-4 set up, as well as a boat load of fans when all is said and done, I am not to worried it I lose a couple of degrees of cooling.

It's a matter of wieghing asthetics (spelling?) against performance, take six of one, and a half dozen of the other. If pure cooling was my only concern I probably wouldn't have gone through half of what I have already done :D Would of made my life a lot easier:D

8. thorilan

thorilan What's a Dremel?

looks great so far. with all that extra room do you have something really kool planned like a custom res that is a lot bigger than normal?

i totaly agree with the performance vs asthetics too as thats what im trying to do with my case or i would have never put a cathode tube directly in the center of my res .

9. Altron

Altron Minimodder

You're here?

Anyway, nice work, good to see you dude.

10. Cowinacape

Yeah, I'm here and back at MKT, been off of work and enjoying doing nothing for the last month, unfortunately that all changes tomorow, and I have to go back :waah:

Good to see you're still around to Altron!

Last edited: 3 Sep 2003
  11. Cowinacape

I am toying (slightly) with the idea, I have a round danger den res. right now, with straight barbs, and man does that l'il bugger eat up real estate. Your res that you built is awesome though!

12. Cowinacape

Ok just so this thread doesn't get lost, or swept out with the next spring clean up :D This project hasn't been forgotten, waiting on a couple of bits to come together, as I get ready to start re-working the front grills (read: removal of the bottom half of the fronts) As I right tis I have a couple of fan ducts on the way, and just need to pick up some plexi, then I will be back at it hot and heavy.

13. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

i like the panels they are like a cartoony industrial look

:D

14. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Never seen two cheiftecs together before. Looking good. I love what you've done with the acrylic and all the rivets. It looks totally industrial :rock:

15. Cowinacape

Ok time for a small update/progress report. As you will see below, I decided to rid myself of the front grills (might of been better to think of this before I added the LED's :duh: , oh well, I'll just pull them out and re-use them else where, that won't be a problem)

The first shot shows what I started on tonight with some 1/2 inch plexi three rings will be made like this to serve as the "base" of the front bezel. The over all idea being to light up the edges of the plexi, and the front of it being done the same as the side and top panels.

This is a shot of the plexi on the drill press, after finishing up with a rasp chucked into it, this little rasp saves a lot of time, rather than doing it all with files, all that is needed now is to finish off the other two rings, then final finish with files, and sanding.[​IMG]

This second shot is of the front of the cases once again, with the lower grill removed, the area in the red bounding box, still has to be cleaned up with files, and sanding.[​IMG]

Lastly this final show is to give a basic idea of where I am headed right now, you can see the two other rings that need to be cleaned up inside. Once that is done, then all three rings will be cemented together, and the out sides will be filed down even, and polished up. I haven't quite decided on the final design of the top plate for the new bezel, but it will be something that fit's in with the "bolted on plate metal" look, that I am heading towards on the sides and such.[​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Oct 2003
  16. Bluebark

Bluebark What's a Dremel?

Real nice plastic work. The pieced together sifi look is real slick…so Borgish. Can’t wait to see it all lit up. I also like the aged weathered look, never saw that before.

Keep... :dremel:

17. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

LOVE the industrial mechanical look of the plexi. You gonna paint it a really cool metalic colour?

18. Cowinacape

Acctually the paint colour with be a basic primmer gray, followed by washes of burnt umber, burnt sienna, , moss green, and black, along with dry brushing of umber, sienna, titanium white, and a bit of silver. this will be for the out side, the insides of the case will be left more or less shiny and "new" looking.

Hopefully today I can get back on it, scince I made my last post in this thread, I have gotten absolutely ZERO done on this poor project, due to other personal commitments (sometimes I wish people would just go away :D), I hope to have some kind of "real" update soon.

19. borumas

borumas What's a Dremel?

Looks great so far, very promising idea there using 2 "Dragon" cases side by side and with that bolt on look. Looking forward to seeing some more progress on it, keep up the good work. :thumb:

20. Sol Badguy

Sol Badguy What's a Dremel?

to cowinacape:

hey thats the same case iam planning on using for my first mod/gaming rig.

just one costs around 108 dollars. and u bought tw :eeek:

anyway goodjob so far :thumb:
    now get back to work :dremel:
    ( maybe i shouldnt be ordering people around since iam a noob/new to the board ) haha