1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Mystery mobo?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by urobulos, 5 Apr 2012.

1. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

I'm thinking about getting some second hand components to upgrade my parents computer when I go back home in a couple months. I got my dad to install CPU-Z and read out the info.

The CPU is a Intel Pentium E2140, socket is LGA775, but here comes the weird bit. According to the read out he gave me CPU-Z said the mobo model is Gigabyte G3M-S2 and the chipset is Intel P35/G33/G31. Right now I'm wondering whether he got something wrong (he doesn't speak English and is confused by any tech really, but it's just reading out a couple of number from boxes) or whether this is some really obscure model. Mobo was bought ca. 4-5 years ago in Poland. I wonder whether this is some local naming convention since I can't find anything on Gigiabyte's website that would fit the above name. I think I'll run CrossLoop tomorrow and check the CPU-Z read outs myself.

Does anyone have any clue what mobo it might be? I need to find out since I'm not sure whether there is any point in buying something like a second hand Q6600 right now since I have no idea whether the mobo can support it. Same for RAM. I know it has 2GB of DDR2, but no clue whether I have free slots in that mobo to add a second stick. Easiest solution would be to open the case, but that suggestion gets me nowhere as it is something my dad refuses to do /gasp

I'll try to update tomorrow after checking out the PC myself with CrossLoop.

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

3. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

Thanks. That was amazingly quick :)

Very good news. Looks like I'll be able to just drop in 2 more stick of Ram and pop in a second hand quad core. Already have a 500W OCZ PSU stashed away together with a 4890 and a 64 GB C300. Pop in Win7 and hopefully they will be back from the middle ages of computing.