1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks N00b help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The Savior, 31 Jul 2003.

1. The Savior

The Savior What's a Dremel?

After recently getting a secondary computer to work, I've been trying to network it and my main rig together. Both units have XP Pro installed, and both of them have SP1 installed as well. I set up everything as described in the wown.com article, but I cannot get the computers to communicate. On my main, I get a timeout error when I try to ping either computer. The secondary (which has a clean install ATM) can ping itself but not the other computer. Is there something obvious that I'm missing?

2. Hargle

Hargle What's a Dremel?

I've not read that article and the site appears to be down now so I don't know how they suggest you set the networking up. How are the two machines physically connected (crossover, hub/switch, ...)?

3. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

try running setup wizard on both computers and then check each machine has same protocols installed

my website www.themainframe.tk has a networking help page

4. The Savior

Doh, I ment to say www.wown1.com Basically I just set the computer/workgroup name and IP addresses, making sure that they're compatible. The main rig is connected to the internet and to a switch, both via onboard ethernet. The secondary is connected to the hub. There's nothing else connected to it. Both computers have TCP/IP installed, and I have tried running the setup wizard with various options, with no success.

[edit] A direct link to the quide is here.

5. ST8

ST8 What's a Dremel?

running any firewalls? Stuff like zonealarm will cock up networking if its on the wrong settings.

IP should be 192.168.0.1 -> 192.168.0.255
    Subnet should be 255.255.255.0

You need a crossover cable btw if its just computer to computer. You can only use normal network cables when using a hub...

6. The Savior

I figgured it out. It seems that one of the NIC drivers that I was using was for something that doesn't exist, and all that needed to be done was install the correct driver. Thanks for the help, everyone. :thumb:

Tags: