1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Na'ir al Saif

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 3 Feb 2010.

1. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

Did oldnewby's daughter appear in one of his pictures while he was building Cygnus X1?

2. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Haha thanks. :thumb:

Thanks. :thumb:

Thanks LN and welcome to bit-tech. :) No, it's not how I feel but it's what actually happens.
    It's hard to tell whether sometimes I work a problem out or I'm "shown" the solution by
    what's in front of me. I don't want to sound all mystical, but sometimes it feels like I was
    not responsible for making, or thinking of something. It just kinda "happened".

Thank you. :)

Thanks brinkz. :thumb: I think having a full and busy life is a good thing even if it means
    I can't always do what I want to. ;)
    By the way, how is that chopped case mod going?

Thanks b4oz. :thumb:

Thank you., I'm very happy that my work inspires you. :)

Thanks AnG3L. :thumb:

Haha, OK. :)

Thanks a lot. :) Like I've said before, if you really want to do something, you will find a way.

Thanks cheaps. :thumb: I've tried moving that little switch plate around into all sorts
    of places, and it's easy because of the curve. But the area where the fan bodies are
    exposed on the left side really needs to be kept free. It just looks good that way, of
    course a piece of clear plex there may look OK. ;)

Thanks Grimloon. :) I really don't see why you can't make some nice parts to your own
    design. Remember there is no race here, you can take as long as you want until you are
    happy with the result. If the part is not how you want it, then do it again with the
    knowledge gained the first time. Do it until it's "right". ;)

Thanks mate. :thumb: If I could work at this full time (I buy a lotto ticket every week with
    this in mind:hehe:) then projects like this would be rolling out of my workshop. I read the
    bit about fame to my wife. She laughed and said "show me the money honey". :lol: No,
    every one here thinks I'm crazy. :hehe:

Thank you and welcome to bit-tech. :)

She has appeared in all my worklogs.

3. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Well, I never thought I'd say this in one of your logs... but something isn't sitting right with me... The placement of the vandal switches doesn't feel right. The 16mm switch in particular seems to high. It's like it should have an even amount of space in the pocket on all sides, and it doesn't.

4. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

I think your probably one of the busiest people I've ever come across. How you survive on 4 hours sleep then still have enough mental power to care for your daughter as well as pull off moty worthy builds is beyond me lol

Loving the design so far and its great to see it finally come together :)

5. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

I like the switch arraignment. I have issues with the exposed fasteners above them but I have a general dislike for all exposed fasteners. Doesn't mean it will be finished like that of course.

6. Frenkie

Frenkie Lets mod the world!

Innovating, educational and inspirational. You take the cake, my friend. Kuddoos !

7. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

Thought I'd seen her before xD

8. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

I meant to ask in a previous post: What was the Corsair 800D for? Just a gift? Lol

9. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Hey oldnewby,I've been away from modding and bit-tech for a while, but just finished reading this from start to finish! :clap: :clap: :clap: Another epic project and excellent worklog accompanying it! (as always!) Your work is impressive, even more so knowing that you work the nightshift and fulfill your parenting duties as well. Your time management is awesome, as it your tolerance for sleep deprivation! ;)
    I always appreciate not only seeing the mod come together piece by piece, and wondering what the result will be, but reading your very helpful workshop tips and design considerations!
    Keep it up! (and someday, I'll finish my mods and logs, so there'll be one less uncompleted modlog to bug you! :D)

10. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

BLUEHORSESTUDIOS I haven't lost a finger yet!

This build is amazing!!
    I'm going to try my luck with aluminum when I finish the biohazard build

11. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Well that was almost expected since you never seem to stop amazing mee. Nice to see you get it all together.. hat of

12. TotalGaos

TotalGaos Stainless steel.. hmm..

Hmm, I have to admit, I'm not feeling the buttons too. Maybe 'cus they are different sizes, and maybe because they are not horizontal ore vertical lined up with each other.

Maybe you should think about other positions/sizes. In another build (I think Sidewinder) I saw buttons on the side of the case. Maybe thats an idea? I can't seem to see a perfect spot on the front side..

I cannot stress enough that this criticism does not mean I don't like your build. I'm loving it and am sure that you'll find a way to make it look right! Good luck..

13. EJsen

EJsen What's a Dremel?

Wow, i know it's been said before a million times, but you are really an inspiration. I can't wait to see how this shapes up. I'm guessing there will be a clear or tinted plexi shell around the left side unsupported or lightly supported by alu for a far out ancient sci-fi relic look or something? in any case, (teehee) i'm sure it will be amazing. ANd btw, you really get by on 4 hrs of sleep a night and keep on chugging? I think he's a robot, folks... this means he IS a CNC router!

14. ModaRobby

The switch placement is kinda odd. Not in a "those don't look right" odd. More like "I need to look at these for awhile to see if they grow on me" odd.

I've been going back to that page a few times and they almost look like they got crammed in.

I would suggest somewhere underneath the bottom "turbine" fan.

This will still be a kick ass build no matter where you put them. You can leave 'em dangling out the side for all I care.

Can't wait for next update. :thumb:

15. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

anyone else find themselves frustratingly inspired by builds of this caliber? Its a "Damn it why can't I do that..." along with a "Effin right I'm going to start trying to plan something this kick ass right now!":hehe:

16. ModaRobby

I don't know about you, but I'm an 18 year old with a budget for a dremel tool, a few cans of spray paint, and a lot of ambition....

LMFAO. I completely agree with you sixfoot.

Wish I had a hook-up to use a water jet machine. :sigh:

17. skreenname

skreenname SFF Forever

Yeah.
    All I got out of my urge to make something was a hole in some drive bays with a fan behind it:
    [​IMG]

18. TotalGaos

TotalGaos Stainless steel.. hmm..

Yeah I think many (all?) of the people here have begun some sort of casemod/build at least once. I did my try when I was sixteen and was totally surprised how hard it was. Clean cuts don't come easy.

Oh well, I can look at pictures here so I'm good!

19. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Dude's, his modding is dirt cheap apart from material costs.

All he really uses is a quality hack saw, and good set of files, not the crap you find in B&Q, homebase all though they would do the job..

Forget the dremel, there crap. Just good for making noise and spending money on cut off discs. A job for a dremel can be done twice as good in the half the time with hand tools. Seriously.

20. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I do agree with using hand tools, I am a man of the old ways myself (when can be justified). However I do not believe the Dremel to be a useless tool, on the other hand I do strongly believe it has it's restrictions and favored areas. Yes the cut off disks may be expensive but don't buy the Dremel ones. I got a 50 pack of basic disks for $5, that's a third of the cost of the genuine ones, for me anyway.

I find the Dremel excels at small intricate work such as engraving and minor cuts and things. It can be used successfully with plexi and alu (as we have all seen many times) but there are better ways of working with those materials. I think the problem is that people try to use the Dremel for everything, whether it be cutting or grinding. The Dremel can be great for a preliminary cut or for grinding a cut closer toward its mark but hardly has the accuracy to produce a clean line like an old fashioned file does.

Sorry for the rant.