1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Na'ir al Saif

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 3 Feb 2010.

1. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

That is one very sexy side/top panel. I am interested in seeing how you deal with the CPU coolers slant. I am guessing taking a little off the base to level it out? Wont that damage the efficiency of the cooler due to the base being slightly thinner in one spot?

2. Blooddrunken

Blooddrunken In Flames we Trust

The plex side looks very sexy. :) I think you will polish the edges so they'll not really visible or?
    As far as I see it it's a prob of the mb or?

3. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

This is looking like some multi-million dollar test chamber at Boeing! The glass makes it look exquisite! :thumb:

4. scgt1

scgt1 Minimodder

Ok here is the thing...

Is that lean due to the heat spreader on the cpu or is it due to the boards cpu socket? That's something to look into prior to taking the time to sand the heatsink. Either way the respective manufacturers should be responsible to replace the item as its a defect in workmanship. You shouldn't have to go through the trouble of lapping the cpu cooler at an angle to try and compensate for their lack of QC.

Although if your up for the challenge......

5. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

Stunning, absolutely stunning! I have no doubt you'll correct the heatsink issue. Also my best to you on a speedy recovery from your ailments.

6. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Sublime alu work here again, setting a benchmark for everyone to 'try' and live up to. Fantastic build and some truly inspirational ideas. Genuinely excited to see this finished!

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

the heatsink has to only mount so that it works, doesn't matter if its hanging at a funny angle so on that basis RMA wouldn't work.

Having said that, rather than altering the heatsink i would use paper washers under the midline motherboard mounts, to bow the board out a fraction, thus pointing the heatsink in the desired direction.

8. DeltaFX

DeltaFX What's a Dremel?

Or mod the heatsink backplate to lock it against the case - in an elegant way, of course. Your motherboard thus will be "sandwiched" between the heatsink and the case. If I 'm not clear, remeber how old PIII/socket 370 HS were mount.

9. The boy 4rm oz

You could alter the mobo tray so the cooler screws directly into it (removing the stock backplate) The Intel Xeon's do it that way, they have so for quite a number of years.

10. shah

shah Minimodder

:thumb::thumb: very nice, very nice indeed!!!

11. Bullitdodger

Bullitdodger If it ain't broke....Tweak it.

:eeek: Good luck with that...

12. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

You could undo those 4 screws on top and screw them into some sort of jig instead, to hold it. However filing it would be difficult as it needs to be a perfectly flat surface. You might need to machine it down with a CNC or milling machine.

Last edited: 13 Sep 2010
    Attila likes this.
  13. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

I dont know if filing is your best option, While I respect your knack for precision its going to be awfully tough to properly file that.

uneven pressure of the mounting screws on the upper end of the board while still having tight enough pressure on the lower end should level that CPU out without hampering your cooling ability.

14. scgt1

scgt1 Minimodder

Maybe for an everyday build, but in a case like this it is completely unacceptable. The should rma what ever the problem is. Honestly if I was building just a generic build with a window this wouldn't be acceptable and something would be done about it. Regardless. In my eyes its poor craftsmanship. :nono:

So your suggesting he takes a chance in damaging his board to make a heatsink sit straight? Any flex in a board can cause the solder joints to break or weaken. This should never be suggested. I really don't think a couple paper washers would fix that bad of a lean anyway. Better bet would be to use a thin piece of cardboard. Then again this should never be done nor recommended anyway because of the damage it could inflict no matter how minimal your flexing the board.

15. The boy 4rm oz

The crappy stock Intel push-pin coolers flex the board worse then putting a few washers in would ever do. I could literally use my old motherboard as a bowl when I had the stock cooler installed last.

16. WolfandAngel

WolfandAngel Got fins?

yum soup, those intel coolers can really put a dent in them.

wolfie

17. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Like it or lump it, it still stands.

Jesus you've defiantly never seen a 775 board twist under HSF retention forces, a 1mm paper washer wouldn't bend the board that much anyway, that heatsink looks to be out a degree or two at the most.

18. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thanks for the comments and replies. :thumb:

Also thanks for your ideas.

In reply to some of the points here, this particular motherboard was a prize and came
    all the way from blighty, so getting an RMA just ain't gonna happen. No reciept no nuthin.
    This board, like many others, bends and buckles when the heatsink retaining plate is
    screwed down, in fact these boards can bend significantly and still retain full functionality.
    I know this from experience, but this isn't the problem here, the CPU retention bracket
    backplate is actually not sitting flush on the back of the board. But the board works fine.
    In regards to filing an angle onto the heatsink base, I think with careful preparation and
    marking out, a small, rough angle can be filed and then the base made flat again with
    some abrasive paper on a piece of glass. I really don't think that will be a problem.
    riekmaharg2's idea for a method to hold the part while filing is great, thanks+rep.

Oh, and thanks LN. :)

19. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

That is a mighty tasty scratch build Oldnewboy! Loving the look, reminds me of those promo car engines with pieces cut out of them that they use at trade shows.

Of course, you have the skills, I say you make your own heatsink :D

20. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Let it droop. I noticed the fans weren't the same brand before I saw the droop. We all have at least one unperfection.
    Had to dig through a whole page of 'Oh, La la!' to find the update.:D