1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build - In Progress ⭐ NANO-TV : a gaming PC in a vintage TV

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by kim, 22 Apr 2018.

1. kim

kim hardware addict

This fragile part cracked again, I thought I could avoid to use fiberglass and resin, but I'm affraid it's necessary to strenghen it properly...:sigh:
    [​IMG]

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The materials are abs and plexi, right? You could fuse more layers to the join inside. -Or is there no room in there?

3. kim

kim hardware addict

yes your totally right, abs is probably the basic material of the TV, and what I add is perhaps plexi...:idea:... hard to say as most materials that I use are picked out in a junkyard...:grin:
    I started to fuse several layers of glass fiber on the inside, to strenghen it, but I thought about applying only one layer on the outside, because I wanted to avoid creating a too important thickness...

4. kim

kim hardware addict

little disappointment, I ordered a heat sink for my M2 SSD, I choosed the Icy box one a bit "too quickly" :duh:...basically, I liked the radiator shape more than the EK model, but the attachement system from Icy box is really not great :eyebrow:...2 small transparent rubber band...? if you let the band flat on radiator it's obviously ugly, and hiding it inside one radiator's groove isn't really better...
    [​IMG]
    I will have to upgrade to the EK heat sink with the clips.

5. kim

kim hardware addict

sun is going down,and I've spend whole afternoon sanding and secure the edge with glue and screws, and applied filler to hide the screws and irregularities...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    tomorow will be more sanding :grin:

6. kim

kim hardware addict

Today I worked on the continuation of the top window groove on the left side
    [​IMG]
    the edge start to be a part of the case, there is still a big amount of work to make it clean and straight... though...I'm progressing :grin:
    [​IMG]
    ...to be continued

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Nice to see you back working on this Kim, as I said in another thread I love mods that repurpose other non-PC items. :thumb:

8. kim

kim hardware addict

thank you for your words adidan, I had that TV for a long time, it was unfunctional but I kept it cuz that shell was nicely designed and the idea to put hardware inside was on my mind for long too :grin: . I am still a beginner in modding, so I learn on my mistakes, but I found so much inspiration here on Bittech, luckilly for me because modding is quite on a sluggish state in my country...:grin:

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I'm not even that yet :)

Hopefully after I move i'll have a bit more room and finally some time to getting around to doing one too.

10. kim

kim hardware addict

there's no lack of room in my place, but that precious time is what missing the most so I commiserate...

adidan likes this.
  11. kim

kim hardware addict

Slow progress of a slow modder...today I could spare a few hours of sunlight and free time, wich wasn't so easy...:happy:
    I found a much thinner fiberglass (basically used for walls renovation :grin:) to strengthen some parts where tiny cracks appeared with time... as the first fiberglass I used was much too thick, I removed it all and did it again with the new one, but if it's thinner, it's a tad rigid too, and has a tendency to refuse the bending and take it's flattened form back, so I had to use clamps on small wooden chocks during drying, on the curved parts :grr:...but after drying, it was easyer to cover with filler.
    I still have a lot of work to make it straight everywhere, and a lot more on the other side, so I won't show it yet, but the left side is taking shape...slowly :happy:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    :idea: I am actually asking myself a lot about the look of the outline of the shell with it's curved shape, and the inner rim of the square case inside that I must add to mount the hardware...regarding I want a window on this side, and cut another inner rim, painted with a shiny metal color like on the radio's picture...hope it will hide some of the square edge of the alu case :lol:
    [​IMG]
    I ordered this to make a nice 140mm hole into aluminium sheets, a heavy and quality tool, but I first need to find and buy some kind of a fixing shaft with a drill to use it...
    [​IMG]
    hope to find some more free time ASAP :grin:

Dot_Kappa likes this.
  12. kim

kim hardware addict

rain started to fall again here, and I can forget working on the case outside today :wallbash:
    I bring it back to my room and had a fun trying to place some of the hardware inside to see how it will look and where to put what...
    [​IMG]
    even without the screen which is heavy too, the weight is so big that if I lift the case by the handle, the top part of the shell is twisting up dangerously :waah:, certainly I must make a metal part, like a ceiling, firmly fixed to the side panels, and screwed to the handle plate to reduce tension on the shell..

13. Cheapskate

The rain has been messing with me too lately. I know how you feel. At least you weren't up on a ladder with a hammer trying to race a sudden thunderstorm.

14. kim

kim hardware addict

thanks for empathize :grin:...and yes your right, I wasn't on a ladder with a hammer, I try to avoid very tough situations :hehe:

15. kim

kim hardware addict

I managed to save a few hours to work on the top window groove again, and even rough around the edges still, I'm happy to reach that point...
    [​IMG]
    with all the time I need to make it, every little step is pleasant :grin:
    [​IMG]
    A free day is pretty short...and modding is the last thing I can do after house chores and garden maintenance :rollingeyes:

adidan and Dot_Kappa like this.
  16. Cheapskate

Same here. :lol: Spring has been ruthless this year.

17. kim

kim hardware addict

pretty ruthless indeed :naughty:, I could work in the workshop if the sanding dust wasn't so unhealthful :rollingeyes:

18. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

It seems a great mod is coming to life :clap:

kim likes this.
  19. kim

kim hardware addict

Thank you very much Dot_Kappa, I apreciate a lot, and I hope not to disappoint with the final result...:grin:
    I'm aware of my slowness and the poor quality of my pics (Iphone5:sad:) I'm thinking about a proper camera, but it seems there is nothing valuable under 400 euros :rollingeyes:...no doubt it would worth it :naughty:

20. TechnoMod87

TechnoMod87 Member

:jawdrop:Good job man! :dremel: