1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nanowires to enhance battery life

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Dec 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Would be nice to see this technology in commercial use sooner rather than later- as with a lot of R&D, we keep hearing about new technology that's meant to improve the performance of devices but very few have made it into actual products. These sort of improvements will hopefully see some proper convergence devices made feasible- 3G, GPS, WiFi, high-res cameras etc all in one device without sucking battery life like a digital Dracula. Tbh, I'd welcome more than 2hrs battery life on my lappy so this'll be a phenomenal breakthrough if it happens.

<A88>

3. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

sounds awesome, now if only they could crack wireless charging using induction the world would be perfect

4. Cuban

Cuban What's a Dremel?

great news!! i would be happy with anything more than 4-5hours (generally how long i use my laptop for in the evenings)... 20hours could nearly last me a week!!!

5. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

SWEET!
    definitely gonna keep an eye on this. even right now if you get 4-5hrs out of a laptop battery that is considered lucky. neat technology as well, who thought a forest of nano tubes of silicon would be able to do this?

6. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

I wonder if the charge time is any different, If it takes the same amount of time to charge and you can get the same number of charge/discharge cycles out of it or more this would be really nice.

7. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

No mention of life span. Considering that was the main reason we don't currently use it, I wonder how much they improved it.

8. sgr55

sgr55 What's a Dremel?

Your storing more energy in 1 place.... what happens if 1 of these were to um... explode?

9. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

It can be applied well beyond laptop batteries I'm sure, being able to carry 10x the power about opens up all sorts of possibilities .. viable laser weapons anyone ? :naughty:

10. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

For PPC's and UMPC's this could be a breakthrough technology that allows for faster processors better and graphics processing on the move. I'm thinking of a HTC TYTN II with a combined 1Ghz cpu and gpu with 2-3 days battery life. What a ppc that would be!

11. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

mobile phones..........

12. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

sweet, I'd like to see this on laptops soon

13. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

looks like anything that requires mobile power could benefit greatly from this. not only can devices at their current size last longer but they can now make devices smaller and still get more power than what we can do today.

im eagerly watching where this goes.

14. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Then finally the N95 could have same battery life as all other phones! Whooo!

15. broutcha

broutcha What's a Dremel?

I liked the "wireless charging using induction", "what happens if 1 of these were to um... explode", "viable laser weapons anyone ?" :)

Seriously guys, what you're talking about would requires *much* more than a 10x improvement, which is pretty huge already. That would definitely be a major breakthrough, especially for miniaturization. The battery size was one of the major bottlenecks in the future developpment of mini mobile devices.

16. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

and what about mobile game consoles......

Tags: Add Tags