1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor NAS or Custom Build Server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gilljoy, 18 Aug 2011.

1. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Wondering which of the two will better suit my needs.

Looking for a way of backing up my media, mainly videos and music onto a server of some form so I can access it on all my systems ( macbook, windows desktops, Xbox360 / Ps3).

Would also like to be able to stick some files on it, like game saves etc.

Would a small dedicated server suit me better or a nas?

2. PocketDemon

PocketDemon What's a Dremel?

Mmmmm... To give a 3rd option, are any of the Windows machines on 24/7?

Simply that a DAS would be much cheaper &, for the purposes of copying your music & videos onto, significantly faster...

Yeah, you'd then create shares for the drive(s) & link to them with the other machines.

There was a bit of a discussion here a few days back - though something i missed out is that 'apparently' people had hassle getting getting one of the branded versions of them to directly connect to Macs (hence asking if one of the Windows machines was on 24/7)...

...but have no personal experience with that aspect so it 'could' have simply been people being useless.

Otherwise, either of your original choices would be perfectly sensible - really just about pricing them up & making sure of the actual speeds that the specific NAS does (as some of them can be 'slightly' on the slow side).

3. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

I'm after the exact same thing I'm looking into building my own NAS server/box. I'm looking at a cheap i3 build what do you guys think?

4. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

I don't really see the difference between a NAS and server for the OP's needs. Either or. I'd recommend a NAS for backups, multiple access, and most importantly media streaming. Get all you films and choons on a NAS, then buy renderers for the rooms in which you want to watch or listen to the content.

5. mattrm

mattrm What's a Dremel?

Basically it depends a bit on how much money you want to spend and how much time you have to spend building the server. If you get a NAS then it's mostly all done for you, plug the drives & cables in and browse to the web config page and robert is your fathers brother! If you want to get a server, you've got to build the thing, install an OS and then configure everything (which can be a PITA). Then you have to keep all the apps up to date and fix it if/when stuff breaks.

However you pay for the convenience of a fully featured NAS, the decent and powerful NAS enclosures are generally quite expensive without the disks. While you can bodge a server together for rather small amounts of money, especially if you're willing to buy stuff second hand.