1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage NAS or Microserver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arboreal, 24 Nov 2017.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I would like to have another level of storage/backup in addition to the extra drives in each PC and the removeable drives that are kept away from the house.

I've been thinking about a 2 bay NAS but also tempted by a Microserver with its extra bays and 'roll your own' OS (no experience there though...) potential.

There's a QNAP 2 bay NAS available locally at £50, so not a lot in price between the 2.
    What do you think?

Last edited: 24 Nov 2017
  2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I went NAS for ease of use (laziness) and reduced power consumption. I had to upgrade later on by replacing it but I haven't regretted the decision.

In terms of data security, if the NAS goes you'll most likely have to source a replacement, with a Microserver you would have the option to rebuild the array with different hardware.

I've complicated the issue by running a laptop as a server for torrents and Plex, with that in the mix I'd have been better off with a Microserver.

Are any of those issues for you?

Bazz likes this.
  3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I have a QNAP 2 bay, a Microserver (soon to be two) and a home rolled 4 bay itx server.

The QNAP is a new acquisition but it's quad core cpu, twin GbE and HDMI port make it powerful enough to use as a NAS/Media Server.

I'm assuming the £50 QNAP isn't the latest and greatest but, if you just want a NAS, it'll likely be perfect. Alternatively, a Microserver running XPEnology (essentially making it a 4 bay Synology NAS) is simple to install and run, and gives you more storage options. My home rolled server is likely to be retired, along with my Gen7 Microserver - the QNAP and the incoming Gen8 Microserver will cover all my needs.

BTW if you're still considering my Gen7 N40L, make me an offer - I'm tripping over the thing atm.

4. Arboreal

Thanks guys, and both pretty much my (geographic) closest B-T neighbours!
    Definitely want something, but not sure which way to jump still. :sigh:

A ready to go NAS is potentially idiot resistant and low power and small. Only limited by proprietary file setups.
    A Microserver is appealing to the B-T modder and has room for at least 2 if not 4 more drives. Limited by my ability to set up non WIndows OSs.

5. David

That's why I mentioned XPEnology on a microserver - it uses the open source Synology DSM software and treats your microserver like a standard Synology 4 bay NAS device.

I'm not pushing this to sell you my N40L - it just really is a simple way into NAS, and it runs off a USB stick. Handily, all Gen7 and Gen8 Microservers have an internal USB slot, so it can't be knocked or yanked out by an inquisitive ankle-biter.

You can set it up on a spare PC to try it out, if you have USB stick and spare HDD, or there is a live demo site for the DSM software here, if you want to poke around.

Arboreal likes this.
  6. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I’ve got openmediavault running on my gen8 Microserver and it was simple to set up.

You get Rufus imaging tool and a 1gb USB stick, to put the OMV installer on. With a gen7 an 8GB usb stick can be permanently installed in an internal USB socket to install to.

Once it’s installed it’s all managed from a web interface just like a NAS. Only more flexible on many cases.

Arboreal likes this.
  7. Arboreal

@Zoon, another good option thanks.

@David I just had a quick look at DSM, and it looks good. More than I need, and room for other features later.
    The local NAS has gone, I think it was underpriced compared to what's been offered here recently; so no surprise.
    What was up with the standard PSU? I'm not partial to laptop bricks for some reason, but a brick + pico probably quietened the N40L down a bit.
    Booting from a USB stick is really appealing, as it leaves you 4 drive spaces and more with tinkering. Did you do the modded BIOS to speed up the other SATA channel?

8. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Just a side note, both QNAP and Synology units usually do LVM on top of Linux mdraid, so recovery is rather easy.

9. David

The standard PSU is dead, but it's no bad thing - the 40mm fan in the Gen7 PSUs can be a little whiny, whereas the Pico is obviously silent. It does have the mod bios.

There is room for more than 4 drives in the Gen7 though - I know people who have installed those 4bay hotswap 2.5" units in the ODD compartment, running off a discreet raid card.

Like this:
    [​IMG]

10. Arboreal

40mm fan? :eyebrow: not a good sound.... The 50mm fan on my Shuttle bearable, but 40mm is bad news anywhere!
    8 Drives? That's just too much. I do have a 5 1/4 bay in the Shuttle for messing with drives that's 1x 2 1/2" and 1x 3 1/2" which could go in using the ESATA cable I believe.
    I think that a Microserver is the way to go, as they are small enough (a friend had one at home that he was reinstating for work), and have lots going for them.
    I do fear that I will get hooked and have to have a Gen 8 later on (and then regret selling the i3 2120T I had...) being a fan of the SFF end of things.
    Even better than a NAS, I can pop a drive in to take data off quicker than over the network. I'll have a word at work, as I'm sure I can get the money for a better backup system.

11. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Hmm I went the other way.

Having gone HP media smart, qnap, ml110 with whs, gen 7 running xpenology, gen 8 running xpenology, Finally I tired of the constant fiddling and went and bought an eight 8 synology.

It just works and I have no need to fiddle.

12. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Can confirm. 40mm fans are ludicrously loud if the servers I've been around are anything to go on. I don't recommend using them.

13. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I've been tempted to take the NAS out of the living room and put it into the cupboard under the stairs, it's gotten a bit loud with three drives in it. The fan isn't noticeable at all over them.

14. Arboreal

Having now bought David's Pico Powered N40L, I am dabbling with OS installs.
    Which version of XPEnology should I be running? I am confused over the different sources available in v5.x and now 6.x which seems a major development.
    Recommendations please fellas

15. David

I tried version 6 but it was a bit flaky. It was a while ago mind.

I think I'm on 5.922 or something.

16. Arboreal

Thanks D, my instinct was to stay with a more tried & tested version.
    You on the mend? I've had friends laid up in bed for a week with the flu, and are still feeling under par 2 week later.

17. David

Yeah, not bad - a heavy (and probably highly inadvisable) cocktail of Benylin, Lemsip syrup, and Night Nurse got me well enough to only miss one day's work. Still feel crap, but not crap enough to curl up in bed.