1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage NAS storage options

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by craigey1, 28 Sep 2012.

1. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

Hi all,

I'm after some ideas / suggestions on what to do regarding my media storage.

Currently I have a NAS (4*1TB) RAID5 giving a total 3TB of space availble (it's about 92% full).

Recently the NAS has started playing up & reports a failed disk every so often (about 3-6 weeks). I have managed to catch the failures & got the array to rebuild by replacing the failed disk. Luckily I do have a regular backup, but as this is USB it will be painful to restore, but definately better than lossing 3TB. It's probably my fault as I used green drives.

I'm now looking at binning off this NAS & splitting up the data across multiple drives. I've been looking at buying 3 * single bay NAS enclosures each containing a 3TB drive. One will be for documents & photos etc, one for media / tv, one for a backup & the USB will backup the documents. My logic for this is that I can have 2 NAS drives that aren't used a lot going into power-saving mode & only the one NAS drive that's used most of the time running at full power, (I'll probably use a higher end drive / WD RED in that one). The only problem I see with this is that it may still eat up power having 3 NAS & 1 USB drives running constantly (even if the 2/3 NAS's are in power saving mode). Would it be better buying 1 single NAS (for backup) & a two bay NAS (for all the content) & run a RAID0 / JBOD?

What do you guys reccomend?

Cheers

2. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I gave up my home-brew 4x1TB RAID5 Nas, and moved to a much simpler system. I can't tell you what will work for you, but this works for me (I'm mac based by the way but the principles are the same)

I kept the 7 1TB Samsung F1 Drives I had, but now use them individually rather than in an all in one RAID/NAS arrangement. I had a few other smaller drives to re-use in this re-gig.

One went into an old USB 2.0 enclosure I had lying around and is attached to my airport extreme as a wi-fi drive. It's used for time-machine backups and a small repository for movies & TV. This can be accessed from everything including phones / iPads etc.

My HTTP win7 box in the family room about 1.5TB of storage for a big chunk of TV & Movies. Not everything and no music but it'll do.

My main photo & music library all fits and lives on a 2.5 USB 3.0 attached drive. 99% it's attached to my laptop but being USB I can move it if I ever need.

The other 6 1TB drives are used on a more ad-hoc basis. One is a permanent backup of the 1TB media, another is another time-machine for sporadic 'belt and braces' backups. The others have various copies of data that came from the NAS, mainly TV Series, books etc.

I use a dual bay USB 3.0 enclosure to access any 'NAS data' drive I need (Which is very rarely in fact). The shows / movies we're watching are either on the HTPC or wifi drive so there's no need for a NAS box.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/IB-120StU3-Wh-Dual-Docking-Station-inch/dp/B0055BK7F2

With another drive dedicated to important photo backups, I've got at least three independent backups of the data I really care about. The replaceable stuff is on one or two drives.

Win for me = Lots of backup options, Flexible levels of redundancy, no RAIDs to rebuild, no network configuration, no management issues, minimal noise & power, easy restores.

Of course if I was starting again now I'd use bigger drives and make it even simpler. I certainly wouldn't look at running multiple NAS boxes.

3. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

Wow & I thought my backup solution was complicated!

I like the idea of the ICYbox, especially as it sees the drives as two seperate drives, so it can replicate the drive. I prefer the idea of replication rather than mirroring. The only downside I can see is that it's USB & I'm all out of USB ports on my shuttle. I tend to do most of my stuff on the laptop, (The main PC hasn't been booted up for about 6 months).

I'm thinking it may be an idea to just have 1 NAS running full time & then stick the 2 backup drives on a timer socket (or just schedule shutdown / startup times - if possible). The other NAS I might just turn on as & when the files are needed.

Think I may just get 3 of these http://en.noontec.com/En/Products/MovieHome/N5.html.