1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage NAS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iwog, 8 Oct 2009.

1. srmans

srmans What's a Dremel?

Choosing the best approach to settingup a NAS box is tricky as we've seen in this thread and perhaps when going for a prebuild ultimately the main factor is budget. My aim was to get a RAID5 NAS with a decent cost/features trade off. The QNAP TS-419 certainly ticks most of the boxes, good luck.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

65MB/s is pretty good for a 5400RPM drive over GigE. It also depends on your router too, whether it supports Jumbo Frames etc.

I get anywhere between 80-45 from Samsung F1s and an Atom based NAS over a cheap GigE switch.

3. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

I know what Jumbo Frames are (thank you google and wikipedia) but what's the etc? And how would one find out if they are supported?

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Dunno, Google your router?

5. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

bah, I thought there might be some genius way of doing it. Plus it would be useful to know for future router purchases.

6. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

Yea new NAS, and even though it only has an uptime of 4 hours atm I'm very happy with it. Its currently formatting the 4 disks into 1 nice raid 5 array and doing it in such a way that I could access the drive at the same time. Although I think its best to just leave it alone so it can format faster.

However what is slightly more worrying is I've lost all access to my My Book World Edition except on ports 80, 8080, 9091 when I was trying to setup vsftp so I could FTP all my files from NAS to the other. :duh: If I can't fix the problem then I'm gonna have to rip the drives out after I've backed everything up from my PC to the QNAP, and it looks likely I cant fix it as how do you SSH into linux system when the system is blocking access on that port. :sigh: