1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Navigator - a Steampunk Notebook Mod

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by thechoozen, 14 Aug 2010.

1. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

Hy all :thumb:

time for another worklog....we already started the building process 3-4 weeks ago, but up to now i didn´t had enough time to bring it here....

But before i start a short explaination:

This year the German Casemodding Masters (DCMM) will have a new category special for modded Notebooks.
    As special Competition inside the Main Competition, Schenker sponsored 3 of their Gaming Notebooks MySN XMG 8.c for a special Notebook Modding Challenge. All Competitors got one of the Notebooks and 4 weeks time to build a unique Mod out of it, and after the 4 weeks the German Masterships will be held and the Mod will be judged.....

As one of the lucky ones, we were choosen to take part in that competition and like you can imagine their was a lot of work to do in the last weeks.

First when we started the building process, we we´re really inspired by Datamancers Steampunk Laptop which is really awesome and outstanding. But, like you can imagine, we don´t want an exact copy of it, because we also had tons of ideas in our head :D

After the Notebook was delivered, we quickly started the building process.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first thing we build, was a wooden Mesh, which should be placed under the Notebook itself. So that fresh air can get into the case without any problems.
    [​IMG]
    then we made the first part of the Notebook enclosure....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

as part of the Notebook Top, we planned to integrate a huge brass plate with a nice engraving of a fantasy world map (with a little bioshock inspiration)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another small gadget for the Notebook Top should be a small brass butterfly which we cutted out of a huge sheet of brass, after cutting out all the small pieces, we soldered them onto each other .....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After building the small butterfly, we started over with the sidepanels for our enclosure....these we´re the most complicated parts... because of all the I/O Ports

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of the next steps was to cut out the feets for the Notebook. Because after cutting the feets to the right lengt we could start to build the socket on which the Notebook should stay.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and today, we also made a short video of the little brass butterfly in action

2. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

wow thats insane!

i would never have the balls to mod a new notebook!

3. Fiyero

Fiyero Vindaloovian

That butterfly is a work of art!

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I don't have the guts to mod an OLD notebook.:hehe: I like your 're-skinning' approach. The butterfly is a neat accent.

5. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

I like the butterfly also!

6. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

Very nice! The butterfly is too cool. Are you controlling it with the arduino?