1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics NB cooler + PSU fan

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Amorphus, 6 Apr 2003.

1. Amorphus

Amorphus What's a Dremel?

ok, SO

I have a Vantec Iceburq slapped on my northbridge (which I probably should've lapped a little... =/) and, out of necessity, I had to use the 3-to-4 pin convertor for a 92mm exhaust fan.

this leaves me using the mobo header for the NB, which I'm fine with. what this means though, is that I won't be able to use the fan speed detector thing for my PSU =/

the Iceburq only uses two of the 3 pins - the power (+5v, right?) and ground. SO, I was considering just consolidating the two plugs for power for the Iceburq, and fan speed detection for the PSU.

except the PSU fan has two wires on it too - a black one (I'm assuming this is ground, although I have no idea why it should need one) on the left pin, and a white fan speed wire on the right pin (no middle pin).

now I'm wondering:
    can I only use the white wire, or do I have to splice the black wire into the 3-pin header.

also, is the black wire ground, or power (+5v?), and if its ground, I'm just gonna hook it up to a spare molex...

(and yes, it's the Vantec "Iceberg", but the box has "Iceburq" on it, and I like the spelling :) )

2. Amorphus

Amorphus What's a Dremel?

or, if someone can just say what combo the pins are in for a 3-pin mobo header, that would be nice, too...

is it
    ground-power-fan
    or
    power-ground-fan
    ?

3. Hippo

Hippo Pre-dates 5.25" Floppies

Red=Power (12V or 5V)
    Black=0V/Ground
    Other Colour=RPM for mobo

4. Moo

Moo What's a Dremel?

If your psu fan only has two wires it is likely that these are just +ve and -ve, you would need a third wire for the monitoring.
    The black wire is most likely -ve.
    I wouldn't connect up either wire form a two wire fan to the rpm detector.:eeek: