1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding near-perfect design painting

Discussion in 'Modding' started by THEkorean, 7 Jun 2006.

1. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

im planning to start painiting something and im having trouble getting started. I need a near perfect paintjob with a simple design on it and the traditional wetsanding of the orange peel dosnt seem like it would work so here are the problems:
    1. the surface is not flat it is almost like a turtlr shell (shape not texture)
    2. the surface is heavily scratched
    3. It is plastic
    4. i need to make some stripes across it whil maintaining the perfectly smooth paintjob

can i get some advice on what grit snad paper to start with/ now i should sand this, what kinds of paint i should use, and how the hell im going to pain stripes on it xD, thanks in advance

2. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

I wouls imagine, that first you need to take care of the scratches..
    perhaps if you told us what it is, or perhaps some pictures, that could help. Unless you are trying to keep it a secret...

As for the sand paper, i assume that any painting guide would work for this, use like 1200 grit paper for the primer, then use progresivley finer grits each coat.

And for the stripes, tape them off, and paint away.

3. Hopakee

Hopakee What's a Dremel?

Okey just my kind of questions.....

1. You mean the shape of your object you want to paint right? if so there should be no problem with that.

2. How deep are the scratches ? if they are just your every-day scratches you use a fine wetsand paper going from grit 800 to 1000 to 1200. You could also use "filler spray" this is just like bondo only it comes from a praycan and it fills tiny wholes.

3. This is a big problem plastic togetter with alluminium are the 2 hardest things to spray if you don't use a good primer. I sugest you use a plastic primer and lay around 2/3 coats of paint on it. After that it kinda depends what you are spraying but since it is scratched now I reconn it is something you might scratch again so I recomment around 3/4 layers of clearcoat/finish.

4. There is only 1 answhere for that called Pinnstriping but since it takes ages to master the art of pinnstripping. what you could do to get the best result is: lay your "basecoat"(this will be the colour of your stripping candygreen/pearl orange you name it)then spray 1/2 layers of "clearcoat" wetsand with a 1200 grit to make it "smooth" then lay the stripping you want with stripping tape. (Fine line tape ) Now spray the colour you want to have your background( black/white red/blue/green you name it) let it set and peel of the fineline tape now your striping will show. Now apply your last 2/3 coats of Finish/clear to make it really hard and scratch resistent. Let it dry for 2/3 days atleast and then take a 2000 grit(these are "hard"to get so you could skip it)after you done that you need to buff it with a polish compound this will get the smooth finish and nice shine.

I am used to profesional gear and paints so I don't know how this will work with spraycan paint but it should do the trick and give you a good result.
    Preheating the spraycan's should make the paint and finish/clearcoat come out in a smoother flow. try laying it in bucket with warm water for 10 minutes before you start spraying.

Hope this helps a little :worried:

It helps if you have pictures of the object you paint.

GreetZ
    Nick

4. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

wow thanks for all the help just to clarify on the stripping, so first i piant it with the color of the stripes, then i tape stripes off and then i paint the rest?
    http://www.northerner.com/pic_large/bob-32015.jpg
    theres a picture of it, its a backpack, and its getting kinda old and worn (thus the scratches) , thanks again for all the help

edit: so i dont need a sanding block to get a smooth finish?

5. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

Ahh, ive seen those packs before, make sure that you get a paint that wil lwork with plastic materials such as that.
    As for the stripes, ive seen them done both ways, painting the stripes first then the other coloer, and painting the color then the stripes on top.

I dont know what the difference would be.. I guess if you want perfect stripes that are convienently the same size as your masking tape, paint your stripe color first then cover it with a strip of tape, then paint over it. Sand LIGHTLY and clear coat it a bunch.

However if you have an irregular shape pin-stripe, i dont think it would matter.

6. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

i see... well the one thing im sorried about is that if i paint the stripes over the main color, it might be visible that thers another layer of paint sitting there.. its hard to explain..i mean i want it to look and feel like 1 smooth layer and not a background with stripes on top

oh and the stripe design will be something like this
    | || | one little stripe and one big one sorta like racing stripes you see on cars
    | || |
    | || |
    | || |
    | || |

edit:hmm came out kinda bad ^ mabe ill find a picture later xD thanks for all the help