1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Neat little mod for anyone that..

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Jang, 21 Feb 2004.

1. Jang

Jang What's a Dremel?

Has any electrical knowledge.

I will post up the proper circuit monday, as my mate in work done it for me.
    Just made the thread so i don't forget monday..

Anyways, now for the mod itself. Ever found your flashing light showing something is working on the front of your case really p*ssed you off? well me and my mate ali come up with a really simple way to sort this.

A capacitator (sorry if its been done on here, its new to me..)

I'm not sure what size, you just add it to the + before the l.e.d, i will find out size, has to be a pritty big one that holds for around 30 secs. Thay way, your flashing light will no longer flash, and will be constinantly on.

Sorry for it beign a little laid back and not very "detailed" i will add more on monday when i actually get the circuit. Pics to follow (including it in wiring stage) So if theres not a good tutorial.. this will be it.

TTFN

Jang. (P.s its not just me that posts in this account, there are 4 other users using this username and password, soo ermm, just thought i would tell you)

2. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

this mod really isnt for me... i use the "flashing light"... it tells you when your hard drive is active... this can be usefull in diagnostics...

say you think your computer locked up, but that light is going crazy... well its probably just really lagged down and not locked up... so you give it a few secs, and presto, it works, and if it was always lit, you wouldnt have been able to know if it was thinking, or if it was just locked up...

you may still want this, but i just thought that i would kinda tell you why it may be usefull

3. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Umm, maybe I'm being slow here, but if it's always on whats the point in having it? It won't tell you whether or not the device is doing anything.

4. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

I second that, Although you can hear most HD's working when they're intensely reading/writing data... I don't know why you'd want to keep it on (I think it was made for what it does anyways, otherwise what's the need? ;x)

5. coorz

coorz Miffed

Besides, most modders actually like flashing thingies in the front of their case :D

6. lizard.boy

lizard.boy What's a Dremel?

it could be cool but if you do do something like this your should probably do it with a two position 3 pole switch si that you can have the led on normal flashing, capacitor on or even a three position switch so that you could turn off the led

7. fillip

fillip What's a Dremel?

have to add my 2p worth. I think this is pretty useless. As pointed out buy the rest of the guys on the post - there's a reason why the light flashes in the first place.

Why bother performing this mod so that the light remains on permanently? Then it doesnt serve its purpose.
    In fact, after all this, you may aswell just disconnect the 2 wires attached to the header on your motherboard for HD activity and be done with it, rather than wasting money.

.: Fillip :.

8. Jang

Jang What's a Dremel?

Who said it cost anything?

Lots of things serve purposes.. doesn't mean there "good".. Ok, if you really need a light to tell you if you p.c has stopped working then fine

To the others :clap: :thumb: :dremel:

:naughty:

9. H4wk1e

H4wk1e Minimodder

strange mod, but a switch would be better to allow both ways.

10. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Im going to have to agree that there is no point to this mod.
    But neither do almost anyother mods out there.( stealthing :eyebrow: )
    What if G-gnome had said " Hey, I can just put this in a xaser."?
    I applaud thinking up new mods.

Mouse

P.S.
    I just took the dang thing out.Stupid green blinker

11. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

it would be cheaper to just splice into your power LED and have it that way... no need for extra work... :eyebrow:

12. H4wk1e

H4wk1e Minimodder

Oh leave it, for what it is ment for!

13. fillip

fillip What's a Dremel?

I don't presently possess a capacitor - therefore i would have to BUY ONE.

never said it was needed, simply said there is no rhyme nor reason to this mod, 'tis all.
    It's pointless :thumb:

.: Fillip :.

14. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

My two cents worth: a better mod would be to use something to make the LED fade in and out quickly, to eliminate the "flashiness". Not any long fade mind you, just like 1 sec at most. Someone tell me if it's already been done. :wallbash:

15. BringItDown

BringItDown What's a Dremel?

Uh..If you want an led to be on all the time just splice into your power led, or a million other power sources in your case...I dont understand why you would do this anyhow... :(

16. fuzzygoblin

fuzzygoblin What's a Dremel?

fair enough, i agree with everyone else it has a purpose (and it looks cool), if you do this you should include the switch

17. shroom

shroom What's a Dremel?

I'd say if you're going to do this you may as well hook all the lights in your comp up to a switch, which would make complete sense. The ultra bright power led on my shuttle lights up my entire room, and I use a little peice of electrical tape to put over it so I can sleep and dont stay up all night making shadow puppets. Then theres my zalman fanbus with its 6 leds.. oh the fun never ends. A switch for all the leds would be much more useful than just a switch to make it stop flashing. If your going to turn it into a static LED then you may as well just remove it altogether.