1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News NEC triples USB 3.0 speed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 18 Feb 2010.

1. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Well remember when Bill Gates thought that "no-one would need over 637kb of memory"?
    I rest my case.

What this will do is start spurring more development in other areas as no-one wants to have their component be considered the bottleneck.

2. ChuckyP83

ChuckyP83 New Member

You do have a point, and I wasn't Poo-pooing this just because "Who needs more than 600K" reasons. More like I dont see the point because USB is rubbish. I do applaud NEC, though, thats a pretty incredible amount of bandwidth, and doubtless we will have products available, in time, to use said bandwidth. Maybe I am just mad at my father....I mean the storage industry...for not having products that can even saturate the bandwidth of Gen 1 SATA (ignoring HDD burst speeds and STILL too expensive SSDs) when we are now onto 3rd gen. I guess we have reached the limits of HDD tech, but for gods sake get NAND prices down now!
    Sorry for the Off Topic...

I guess I just get annoyed when they annouce the new hotness interconnect tech and NOTHING available on the market can use this super-mega-ludicrous-speed USB unless you spend $6k on SSDs and then gang them up on one USB connection... or if you want to start connecting RAM through the USB bus...talk about latency...

3. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

maybe this will also replace internal SATA? one standard for all the connections would be good!

4. metarinka

metarinka New Member

the bandwidth will get filled fast.

especially in burst applications such as Ram-Ram (think the cache on your hdd) if you transfer a 15mb file from Mb Ram to the cache on an external HDD, the slowest component will be the interface and maybe your controllers. That's the only thing limiting performance.

in 2-3 years 16gb/s will seem slow.

5. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

They make awsome electronics too. Their TV's and monitors are generally very good. We have an NEC TV in our house thats older than me! (22)

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

chicken, egg, which came first?

we will get new devices capable of using the bandwidth eventually

usb3 external extreme gaming card anyone?

7. Mraedis

Mraedis New Member

Would you rather have kick-ass, over-the-roof expensive storage or other components and no interface that is fast enough to keep up with it? I'm glad Sata 6Gbps and this new USB came first.

8. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I only see this as good news

as long as it comes to market

9. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

They probably mean a DVD or BR iso rip :D

10. TomH

TomH And like that... he was gone.

To be fair, this would already be possible with Infiniband, as it's essentially PCI Express with a cable. As you can imagine it's used for running buses between clustered computers and costs an arm and a leg right now.

11. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

Anyone else got spammail via forum from BT about Guccy handbags?

Tags: Add Tags