1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Need a decent headset for games and music for around £100

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hoffs, 22 Feb 2010.

1. Hoffs

Hoffs Seek

Hey there

After my sister hoovered over my last pair of Creative Fatal1ty headphones and destroyed the wire completely, I've decided to purchase some upgrades

I play MW2 mainly on PC and have been amazed by what people have said about the benefits of using a good headset.

My budget is around £100 and I want something that would give some sort of 5.1 positional sound. E.g If a guy runs behind you can hear it behind you.

Also needs a mic for voice chat.

I've heard a lot about brands such as Turtlebeach, Tritton, Astro, the highly regarded Creative Sound Blaster Arena and various Logitech headsets.

What would you recommend being the best?

Thanks

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i'd imagine you need a good sound card to bring out that kind of headphones.

im using a simple 2.1 speaker setup, and with Asus D2X, i am able to hear positional sound in MW2, even distinguish between front and back. all thanks to the Dolby Virtual Speaker option.

3. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

There isn't a great deal of difference between 5.1 and stereo really, so while you can use a decent pair of 2.0 music headphones for gaming, you're not going to be able to use a 5.1 gaming headset for listening to music. If you want both, get yourself some decent quality headphones, otherwise be prepared to sacrifice a lot in the sound quality department.

4. Hoffs

Hoffs Seek

I need a headphone setup though as I play late at night really.

Also, can you recommend any specific headphones in particular? More to favour gaming over music.

5. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

6. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

I have a pair of Sennheiser PC350 and they are amazing. Firstly, they don't sit on your ear, but surround them. They are extremely comfortable to wear, and cut out most outside noise. The mic is very good, as to be expected from the company. They make headsets for the aviation industry! And best of all, the price has dropped. I really can't recommend them enough.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/148260

p.s. You'd qualify for free postage as well!!

7. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

for that kind of cash you might wanna think about some "proper" headphones and a seperate mic

8. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

I must be the only person to own a pair of Creative 'phones :| .

9. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Sennheiser HD 550 - HD 595 and a little extra mic. They're not made for gaming, but are extremely comfortable and sound very good.

If you must have a mic built in the Sennheiser PC350 probably are your best bet, but I didn't like the sound of them (for music) when I tried them. For gaming they were alright, but in all honesty: So would be a pair of 20€ headphones. Had a pair of the HD 595 back then.

10. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Steelseries 5Hv2's, Awesome.

11. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

I've got a great set at home, thought they might be sharkoon, but not sure. I can't the find dam things in the interweb now...

sumut like these

++++edit.++++
    THESEhttp://www.sharkoon.com/html/produkte/archive/cosmic5.1/index_en.html
    +++++++++++
    5.1 surround, using 3 mini jacks, so you can use the output from a xonar or x-fi
    Built in mic.
    And the best thing...
    BUILT IN RUMBLE.

So when an explosion goes off, your whole head vibrates.

It's quite awsome.....
    unless your listening to a pounding baseline in a tune.
    Then your head gets wuzzy after 1/2 an hour of vibrating......

I like mine.

Nowhere near as good as a 5.1 speaker setup.
    But I couldn't play at night without waking up my wife and kids,so headphones it is.

Last edited: 25 Feb 2010
  12. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

unknowngamer i think that would leave me with a heart attack playing things like deadspace :p

13. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd tack on on the end of this.
    I'm looking for a gaming headset too (got my speakers for music so not too fussed about music quality) just need a decent headset for use in games with good quality directional sound and a mic.
    I've got around £100 but don't think I can justify spending that on a headset.
    I've been looking at the ones recommended in this thread, the Creative HS1100s sound alright and not bad for the price. Anything else?

14. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

15. el2k

el2k Modder

I'm using the Creative Sound Blaster Arena which one the "Best Gaming headset" review by Bit-Tech featured here.

I have found them to be amazing. They cover your ear totally and i literally struggle to hear myself talk when i have them on. The only problem i find is if i keep them on for around 6 hours (yeah i know...) then the headband starts to hurt a little... but not enough to make me want to take them off :)

Think they are around £85?

16. DaveVader

£78.01 on scan.co.uk for the Soundblaster Arenas.
    Having a ganders at the Sennheiser range; I have some cheap stereo headphones from Sennheiser and I'm definitely impressed so I know I like the brand.

I am ninja: anyone know much about the Sennheiser PC330?

17. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

just bought the steelseries siberia v1, great headphones but no mic, the v2's however have a little pull out mic. these are great for music and games, also the most comfortable ive ever had.

btw dont let mic's affect your decision imo, get the best headphones for you and a desktop mic if you need it.

18. DaveVader

Yeah, wise words actually, I already have a mic I am using built into my webcam, this is pretty crap however and picks up a lot of background noise. Would be nice to have something decent just built into the headset too but I guess, the headset is the more important part of the purchase.

19. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

I've been happily using the USB creative hs-1000's. Decent sound via the built-in soundcard and alright 3D sound. I know these have already been mentioned, but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

Currently sitting just over £50 on amazon so well within budget - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Fatal1ty-Detachable-Noise-Cancelling-Microphone/dp/B001CXYOF6.

If you're using 64-bit windows then be sure to update the firmware, otherwise you can get some funny noise distortion (at least I did).

20. DaveVader

How are they for comfort? The cheapy ones I have at the moment are nice and big, fit over my ears and are nice and soft and haven't caused any discomfort so far.
    The Sounblaster Arenas are looking more and more tempting... might order them by the end of the day!