1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need a little bit of advice. re: new system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Golden-1, 27 Sep 2007.

1. Golden-1

Golden-1 Minimodder

ok. this is actually more of an RFC, but never mind. I'm finding that dear old waldorf is, well, not to put too fine a point on it, about to be taken off of life support. Sure, Staedler will miss the old dear, but the bios is starting to develop short term memory problems (I change a setting, reboot, and it goes back to how it was), it's lost all feeling in one IDE channel, and it's a little confused as to exactly how much memory it's really got. .. Any way. out with the old, and in with the new.

I've pretty much decided on going with the Q6600 G0 SLACR (4 cores@2.4ghz)

The question i've got is really this.
    Do i go the Nvidia SLI / NF680i / two 8800 GTS's (one now, one later) route, (and 4gb of ram to start)
    or do i go
    intel /ATI crossfire i975x/ two HD2900XT's (one now, one much later) (2gb of ram to start, and 2gb later)

Both aproaches have thei strong points, and their drawbacks.
    How do Xfire and SLI compair really ? For that matter, is it better just to get one mid - current range video card, or will two "high end of last years tech" cards beat it?

AT the moment, i'm stuck using either 2048x1024, or 1900x1080. this however should change at some point in the future, when the buget allows. Right now i'll settle for a computer that doesnt struggle just tocheck my e-mails.....

(edit. of course that's 8800gts, not 8600gts ...)

2. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

You go neither, SLI and Crossfire are not very economical options, if you want 1900x1080, a single 8800GTX should be find for that. And then use the money you saved from not going SLI to upgrade the video card later to a new, more powerful single card once the GTX starts to lag. The problem with SLI and CrossFire is that in some games they don't really do much, so you aren't getting much more performance then single card.