1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Need an upgrade - not sure what to get...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SpeedLegion, 28 Dec 2010.

1. SpeedLegion

SpeedLegion Minimodder

OK so currently have 2 x 4890s in my rig, have barely had time to play anything this year, had a bit of free time tonight so I'd get some gaming in... everything keeps crashin running slow on me... its nothing to do with the cards but they annoyed me and i have decided since I'm back down to a one screen set-up not four it was time to switch to one card...

Haven't got any preference as to red vs green! Just want to know what seem most sensible assuming I can sell both of these, and I don't mind buying second hand card replacement...

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Well personally I've decided to go back to green. I've got a GTX 580 coming soon, as I've seen AWD-IT selling EVGA GTX 580's for about £420 with delivery included. Depends how much you want to spend I guess.

3. SpeedLegion

SpeedLegion Minimodder

I want to spend as little as possible! Have been at uni since building last pc and now heavily into overdraft...
    So cost defo an issue!
    After recouping money from selling the 4890s would want to spend like 50max i guess..
    So budget around 200-220 amusing i can sell the 4890s for 150-170 collectively...

4. Phalanx

Well, you could get a 5870 for about £140 2nd hand these days. I had two, previous to my move back to nVidia. I would suggest them for your price range, and that would leave you with some money left over too.

5. SpeedLegion

SpeedLegion Minimodder

Is that better then any of the green teams offering in that price range?

edit:

what about the 6870?

Last edited: 28 Dec 2010
  6. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

How about getting a 6950 and trying to unlock it to a 6970? They have dual bioses so its worth a punt for around £220.

7. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

8. SpeedLegion

SpeedLegion Minimodder

Given I'm trying to get something stable so i don't end up throwing pc out the window :p I think sticking to unhacked components is probs a good idea :p

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Noones asked the obvious question: what res is your screen? I have a 5870 and on my system it runs everything at max without AA easily. AA is dependant on the game. The 5870 out performs the 6870.

10. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

Fair enough but dual bios means if u screw the pooch the first time you can just switch to the default bios.

11. murraynt

murraynt Modder

OT here.
    But what made you change back to the green team?

12. SpeedLegion

SpeedLegion Minimodder

1920 x1200, its a fairly decent monitor, cost about 700 maybe 3-4years ago.

Cards I got give great frame rates tbh!

But fancy the upgrade to something more stable, crossfire doesn't always behave, and DX11 would be a plus!

13. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Would have to agree a 5870 would be a decent move. The total performance between the 5870 and crossfire 4890's is about equal, though the 5870 is a single card solution so has no scaling issues, requires less power (and puts out less heat), and in any game you play that's windowed you'll still get full performance.

Also as a shameless addition, I'm selling both of my XFX 5870's, though a US buyer would be more ideal! PM me if interested (though post would probably be too high).

14. Phalanx

Well personally I had had enough of ATI's problems with Crossfire and their drivers. I was either getting BSODs when updating the drivers, or spending 4-5 reboots trying to resolve it. If it wasn't the drivers, it was stupid things like playing Serious Sam with my cousin online and whenever I jumped into water the game froze. Turns out it was Crossfire with the problem. nVidia on the other hand have no issues with most games and things I play/utilise.

I have been burnt twice now by ATI. Once most recently and previously about 5-6 years ago. Twice is enough for me, so I'll be sticking to nVidia from now on personally.

murraynt likes this.