1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Nov 2010.

1. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

oh good cant wait for those fixes not so much the cpu issue I dont have that just the visual issues to make it look better, to bad its not dx11 and has the visuals of f1 2010. Still I enjoy the game.

2. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Whaaaat indeed, i like the look of Porsches. Porsche 2000 is my favorite NFS game.

3. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

In Hot Pursuit Porsches are my last choice, they just look so lousy compared to other brands like Lamborghini.

Otherwise, it is a perfectly good simulator that isn't too terribly exciting, but rather boring with how much Drive from point A to B as fast as possible missions there are.

Perfectly entertaining in short stretches, but butt ass boring when played for extended periods of time.

I guess it was fun driving an Reventon. ;)

4. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

N'ah, Porsches are ugly little things, like a frog you've just stepped on.

5. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

Not sure why GT5 is being judged and nitpicked so harshly, the game is amazing, driving with a Logitech G27 is thrilling. Sure its not perfect, but its the best pure driving experience on console. The driving physics and handling are unparalleled.

6. sausages

sausages What's a Dremel?

I registered just to say that this review is more accurate than all the other reviews out there. The game is just so dumbed down. The first thing that struck me is that they aren't anything like cars. They just don't behave even remotely similar to a real car. To me it plays more like "Wipeout". You kind of fly around the track at enormous speeds. There is no such thing as a racing line in this game either. Basically there are two types of turns, shallow ones where you just turn normally, or sharp turns when you just tap break and the back end swings out instantly for you, and the car goes in to a kind of sideways drift mode. It's like it drives itself for you, feathers the throttle and steering wheel for you, and all you really need to do straighten up at the end of the turn.

I also found the graphics a little disappointing. It looks so great in screenshots, and sometimes it looks ok in the game, but most of the time I couldn't help but look at the terrible jagged lines all over the place. It's crying out for some AA and that just isn't an option, nor is AF.

I think lowest common denominator is a perfect summary. Although, that's pretty much how I feel about most games nowadays.

Material likes this.
  7. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

To me, "All right" doesn't sound good. It's sounds like something that's not quite "Worth considering". In fact, it sounds distinctly "average".

8. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

I totally agree. Glad you liked the review.

9. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

I'm confused there was NFS III: Hot Pursuit then Hot Pursuit II then Underground & Carbon & Undercover got in the way so is this Need For Speed X: Hot Pursuit III?

10. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Been toying around with a buddy's copy a bit. The singleplayer really was quite boring like the article and others have said, but that's not really where the game's focus seems to be.

Multiplayer is far more fun and is exactly what you'd expect from an arcade racing console game. Had a blast with five of us in the living room trying to out do each other, shouting advice and taunting at crashes and failures. Even in an online mode where only one person at a time could drive we still had a great time passing the controller around.
    It's an arcade racer. :eyebrow:

Never understood why anyone in their right mind would pick up a Need For Speed game expecting a realistic driving experience. Hot Pursuit in particular is marketed on calling in roadblocks, EMP blasts and cops driving Lamborginis ramming speeders off the road to arrest them. None of it even tries to call itself realistic.

11. sausages

Just because it's arcadey doesn't mean that it can't even feel remotely like a car. It's dumbed down, even by NFS standards. Previous NFS games were more challenging. I liked the EMP and spikes and stuff, they are a step in the right direction, shame everything else took a step backwards.

And for what its worth I didn't pick this up, I played it on my friends computer - for a while, then I clubbed him over his head with his keyboard until he put a proper game on.

Last edited: 30 Nov 2010
  12. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Being arcadey is exactly what means it can feel however it wants. Diddy Kong Racing on the N64 comes to mind, who knew monkeys could drive cars, planes, and even little hovercraft? The Need For Speed franchise just happens to look half-way realistic and the cars readily replacable models and textures just happen to resemble real cars, that doesn't mean it has to feel any more realistic than Diddy Kong Racing.

13. sausages

I don't really see what you are trying to argue about... You are saying it's ok to be a dumb and simple game because stupid little childrens games are dumb and simple too. I'm saying that NFS games shouldn't have devolved this far. What more do you want from me?

I remember when this series started in the early 90's, and it was a pretty good racing game and it at least strived to be realistic yet fun racing. It also had some good ideas over the years like moving it to a huge city to race around rather than just pre-defined tracks. But they just can't help themselves, it just gets dumber and dumber and dumber to the point where now, you are basically just sitting in a mine cart that drives itself while you shoot heatseeking missiles.

14. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

So to break away from this umm love fest, the patch has been out for a bit that fixes some issues AND for those who want a cockpit in car view there is a mod available as well as other mods to fix other things like lighting and those who have steering wheels and want to manual shift.

http://www.nfsplanet.com/en/nfshp/files/

15. sausages

I think people should buy "Flatout 2" instead.

16. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

I don't envy reviewers ... you can never please everyone. People need to remember that the review is one persons article based on his own views.

One frustration I had not so long back was an article I read about 3D in gaming (unarguably an exciting tech), the reviewer complained throughout the article on many different points and one of the main gripes was that the 3D goggles felt uncomfortable over their prescription glasses ... genius. It was clear from the outset that the wrong person volunteered to write the review.

It's no good getting reviewers to check out a GT5 game when they are WoW fans. Likewise it's a no good getting someone to review 3D tech when they have no positive views of it in the first place and the reviewer can't even get their head around wearing contact lenses to overcome a minor issue. However, you then still have a problem at a lower level, of a racing enthusiast reviewing GT5 when they are a Dirt2 fan. So, they like fun over simulation. But then you have another problem even when you do your best at matching a reviewer to a certain type of game and sub-genre - they give a glowing report, based on reviewing their favorite kind of game (GT5), and the GT5 indifferent people buy it based on the fan-based glowing report - and find it average at best because they don't share the enthusiasm ...

--- Installing Hot Pursuit on PC right now and about to give it a few hours of my time based on a glowing report from a buddy ... if it's crap I'm charging him the £24.99!

EDIT: ahh the joys of PC gaming. First time in the menus I go to setup my steering wheel. Thought everything was going fine until I defined the last control option and then couldn't do anything other than hard reboot the PC - it turned out the steering wheel needed to be left 'in-gear' otherwise it would set every control as the same option. The second attempt I defined all my controls perfectly and went to play an online game and then crashed to desktop with a message to say Hot Pursuit had stopped responding ...

EDIT2: 53 minutes later, 4 crashes to desktop, various forums checked and now a patch downloaded and installed ... fingers crossed. Possible issue with multi-core CPUs ... hmmmmmmmm.

EDIT3: nope didn't work. I'm really unimpressed with Criterion. I don't have issues with any other games. Time to put the wheel away and get some work done :(

EDIT4: I didn't put the wheel away. 1 hour 28 minutes later, numerous crashes to desktop, installed latest patch, disconnected steering wheel, set program affinity to 2 cores (from 4), rebooted after setting boot options to 2 cores, set resolution to lowest setting, turned off or toned down all texture and detail settings to minimum, put sound options to minimum ... I never thought I'd ever see a game that just wouldn't work no matter what.

Anyway, back to thread topic! I bet the guys with consoles are enjoying themselves ... sigh.

Last edited: 8 Dec 2010
Tags: Add Tags