1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Need For Speed: The Run Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 23 Nov 2011.

1. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

It is funny how obvious it is that this game is ported from the console to the PC.

I have Need For Speed Hot Pursuit on the Xbox 360 and on the PC and the PC version is about 40 to 50 % better looking and it just feel's smoother to play.

I tried this last night on the Xbox and found the graphic's are exactly the same and it play's smoother on the Xbox than on my pc and my pc is not a slow machine by any means.

2. feathers

feathers Minimodder

The xbox is a dinosaur now so if it looks better on your xbox then you must have one crap PC!

What graphics card does your PC have?

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

just gave it a quick go this morning, got to Vegas. i think it deserves 90%. :clap:

EA Black Box nailed the controls, perfect mix of arcade and weight to the car. Hot Pursuit didn't have the weight feel, like all other Criterion games. The Run feels just like how NFS should feel, i'd go as far to say it feels similar to Most Wanted, Hot Pursuit 2 and earlier NFS games.

the gameplay is nothing new, but it nailed the Need for Speed feel. the sense of urgency when getting chased by police, and the adrenaline rush when overtaking cars on beautiful country road is corner stone of NFS games. :rock:

The Run is a classic NFS game. everything feels right. that's why i think it deserves 90% even though many may view it to be not as feature rich as other race games out there. it's like saying Half Life 2 ep3 doesn't have aim-down-sight so it must suck. :rolleyes:

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

This. Also I've been looking for a race game that I could give a quick try and this might be it. Thanks for the review!

feathers just tone it down ffs.

5. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I never said it looks better I said it looks the same and plays smoother.

My pc spec's are perfectly fine for this game.

Core I5 2500K @ 4.8ghz
    12gb Corsair DDR3 1600MHZ
    GTX 480

6. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

There's no pc demo right lolz

7. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

no only console.

I think they didn't release a pc demo because of the fact it is so obvious that its a straight rip from the console version with no improvements.

8. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Why would u have 12gb ram on anything than X58 platform?

9. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

coz it costs about 2p

10. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

Funny how a lot of other people think this game is complete and total ****, even next to previous Need for Speed games which haven't been all that great the last few years next to the competition. Maybe it's fun, but to me the content selection is extremely sub-par compared to other racing games, there's a severe lack of options and modes, and other glitches like poor gamepad identification are all pretty serious flaws for what should be a premier racing franchise.

I'm also concerned that things like the lack of in-game settings and the 30 fps cap aren't even mentioned in this review. These are huge issues for PC gamers and yet bit-tech, a PC-oriented site, doesn't even think they're worth bringing up? I have to wonder if someone's wheels have been greased, especially considering EA's blatant manipulation of Battlefield 3 reviews lately.

11. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Because I had 6gb of ram from a old X58 system that the board, failed on and it was only a extra £50 to go for the I5 2500K bundle.

The ram I had spare was 2000mhz 10-10-10-27 1.5v, so I put 4gb of it in my pc to take me to 12gb and it is now running perfectly fine with the other ram, which is 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 1.5v.

When I have the spare cash I will replace the 4gb with 8gb and take my pc to 16gb of ram, and buy also a cheap board for my 920, and build a media server.

12. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I have my 8gb 1600mhz 7 7 7 24 ram for sale on ebay. 4 sticks. 16gb 1600mhz can be bought for 70 pound now so it's time to upgrade. I am selling the 8gb because it's 1.6v ram from my previous mobo + cpu. Waiting for my i5k and Asus z68 board to come. Been 3 years since mobo and cpu change.

Never had an x58 system but really I should have chosen that over the P55 + i7 860 I chose 3 years ago especially since I am now running SLI although apparently dual x8 isn't much of a performance drop.

The i5 K will be my first ever unlocked CPU.

Regarding NFS game, shame it has been consolified even though it was sold by EA as being the second in a line of true PC games using frostbyte 2 engine. I guess if u give game development to anyone who develops for consoles what u end up with is something damaged and inferior.

13. wst

wst Minimodder

9/10 is a bit high for this ... unless the scale goes from 7 being mediocre to 10 being good...

14. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

handling sucks - i dont know if i expect too much but why not just use shift 2 physics while not perfect are way way better than this handling mush. even pgr seems sim-like in comparison
    gameplay - cops speed past you will you doing 220mph in your top tier supercar. mobs gang-filled suvs just as speedy. Once i crashed to a near stop 4 opponents wizz past, 20 secs later i'm 1st again.. you cant lose
    so glad i borrowed this from an internet friend

15. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

You know I pinched myself, cleaned my glasses, checked the URL was correct and then just to be sure had a look at the calendar on my PC to make sure it wasn't April.

Heck, I even read some of the review and there was no mention of the problems this game has (which there are many) or the fact it is a console game.

Or the fact that the entire opening sequence is a game of Simon.

Now to be completely serious.

I am cancelling my monthly subscription to Custom PC. I do not like corporate brown noses who lie.

This isn't a review written by a reviewer, it's a sales script read by a salesman.

16. Nenad96

Nenad96 What's a Dremel?

Problem with nfs the run

1.u can play with controler but transimisiom will be manual,u can play with pc wheel,
    2.my laptop spec.
    Tosiba satelite c660,intel i5 dual core 2.30 to quad core,ram 4gb,64 bit,graph.nvidia g-force 8800 + 2gb,shader 4.1.
    The game is runing on ultra,but he works on 0 and 1 cores,i have 0,1,2,3,4,i disiable 2,3,4.where i to download a patch who disiable 30fps?pls.help.i am nenad96

Tags: Add Tags