1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Need help choosing ultraportable laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NoahFuLing, 20 Aug 2006.

1. NoahFuLing

NoahFuLing What's a Dremel?

So, here's the deal. My laptop is a Fujitsu E-5520 from 1999, with a PIII-450 and a Rage-P/M. Sadly, it is starting to die, so I might need a laptop in the near future. Depending on (A) how much power I get with the brand-new, state-of-the-art 10 million dollar theatre in my school and (B) whether I actually decide I need a laptop, I will probably get a laptop of some sort. My brother works for NBC, and so might be able to get a corporate Dell (only slightly better than consumer) or consumer Dell for cheaper than even coupons online can, not including the 40% off ones.

Here's what I really would prefer in a laptop, in order of priority:
    Under 4 pounds
    3-4 hours of battery life (the higher the better)
    A dual core processor (if Intel, I'd love to wait for Core Duo 2, Merom)
    A dedicated graphics chipset (not necessarily extreme, just there)
    Decent ergonomics

Budget isn't really an issue, although be reasonable. I'm not spending 5k on a laptop for high school, so anywhere between 1,000 and 3,000 USD is negotiable. Thanks!

2. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

That is a price range for some seriously powerful laptops. With a good finder you could get a laptop to over power my computer in sig.

3. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Laptops4Me have a very good range of decent laptops (Sony/Asus/Acer etc) - at varying prices.

You're bound to find at least one which fits all your criteria :thumb:

4. NoahFuLing

NoahFuLing What's a Dremel?

I appreciate the help so far, but what I'd really appreciate are some micro-reviews, as in "I have this, it has this and this and this, and I love it/hate it." It looks like I may be getting it soon, so let's hope!