1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Need help chosing a graphic card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by [KNIGHT], 9 Dec 2009.

1. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

And how did that end? Well...it didn't really, that's exactly what will happen to this argument, just like what happened with the 4870 1GB vs GTX 260 argument, there isn't really a winner because it depends on what the buyer plays, if the buyer plays ATI favoured games then buy the ATI card and if the buyer plays Nvidia favoured games then buy the Nvidia. Please stop this useless endless argument :sigh:

2. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

Who cares how it ended? Everyone had an opinion and everyone had their say, that's what's called a debate, read it if you want, don't read it if you don't want and comment if you want, otherwise don't moan.

And for your information and I truly thank you for your valued input, it isn't a useless endless argument, it's called a debate (think I covered that already, if not then consider this as it being covered) so your basically saying stop a debate where everyone get's their say, it doesn't matter whether people have wildly differing opinions or if one person prefers ATI over NVIDIA or NVIDIA over ATI, that's what's debates are all about.

And have you ever heard of a heated debate? Well sometimes things get heated, sometimes they don't, that's what makes debates fun! So like I said if you don't like it don't read it and don't moan, no one who comments are suddenly enemies and hate each other just because they have different opinions, and if someone asks a question the more input the better as far as i'm concerned because at the end of the day it's them who will make their own mind up at the end of the day anyway.

3. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Well, half the time you weren't debating just talking out your butt, clearly demonstrating that you didn't know what you are talking about.

4. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

What he said.

There's nothing wrong with debating but bringing biased views into just fuels a battle which cannot be won :p

5. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

The thing I find funny, is that I game with a 4850 and play crysis at 1920x1080 which is way higher than what the op has in his first post.
    Details aren't maxed, but then, they dont need to be.

Just figure out how much money you have, upgrade the psu, and buy the most expensive gpu you can afford.

done.

6. Ravenheart

Such a jaded individual aren't you, I wasn't talking out my 'Butt' everything I said I backed up with facts, explain how I didn't know what I was talking about? I never post unless I know what i'm talking about so kindly disappear and take your stupid comments elsewhere as it's clearly you who doesn't know what your talking about.

Not biased at all, did I say I preferred NVIDIA over ATI? No I didn't.

And it's still a fact whether you or everyone else likes it or not, the 275 is still a better card than the 4890, that's fact not me being biased so whose talking out there butt now :D as it's obvious this battle can be won as the gtx 275 is the better card, so that automatically means it wins regardless of the price, it's obviously just really difficult for people to understand the gtx 275 is the better card and that's backed up by facts not fiction.

7. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

No, almost everything you stated was backed by opinions of reviewers, and unfortunately is not fact but still opinion. When you do present fact it is cherry-picked. Post #39, you were trying to compare Apples to Oranges.

he already said it

since you are unaware, the shader(stream processor) clocks on ATi cards are the tied to the core clock, not independent and fixed like nvidia, then you finish off with nvidia marketing bullet points

Do you fold? If so, well good for you because I don't.

The OP asked what card is a good value for gaming @ 'x' resolution we answered. You on the other hand show up claiming that the GTX is a better card than the 4890 regardless of price. Here's a bit of news no one asked.

8. Ravenheart

So someone else already said about the difference in memory bus, what's your point? I was listing everything you got for your extra £50, did you want me to leave that out just because someone else had already said it? Because if you did I would have still put in there as it was relevant to what I was saying, why do you keep reviving this thread, just leave it to die, the gtx 275 is still better than the 4890 regardless of what you say.

And the OP asked what card is good value for gaming @ 'x' resolution, you answered, I answered, do you have a problem with that? And I didn't claim that the GTX is a better card, I said IT IS, there were no claims made as it's simply a better card for all the reasons I explained, you keep reviving this thread and I will keep replying (as is my right to do so) this has now run it's course so why not just leave the thread to die!

I can see this topic getting locked pretty soon anyway.

9. Dreamcometru

Dreamcometru Minimodder

10. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

LOL.

Stop feeding the troll!

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

So tempting...

12. Ravenheart

We all need to eat ;) :D

13. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

As I see it:

The 4890 and 275 trade blows against each other. In ATi-favoured games (Stalker, Fallout 3), the 4890 takes it. In nVidia-favoured games (Crysis, Warhead), the 275 takes it. HOWEVER, the difference between the two is minimal, and will not impact on what resolutions are playable between the cards. Certainly not at the OP's resolution (which, IIRC, was 1366x768). On the whole, the 275 is marginally faster than the 4890, if only by 1-2% overall.

The big factor, is the price. For the price of a vanilla 275, you could buy a heavily pre-overclocked 4890, with an aftermarket cooler (Sapphire's Vapor-X, for example). This would then tear the 275 a new one in Stalker and Fallout, and pip it to the post in Crysis. At the 275's price point, the overclocked 4890 wins.

At the vanilla 4890's price point, the comparison is a GTX260. The 4890 will beat the 260 across the board. No question here. So, at its own price point, the 4890 wins.

There's the age-old argument about Folding, but some people don't want to leave their graphics cards on full blast all the time. If you were really that bothered, you'd buy the 4890, use the ATi folding client when you weren't gaming on the machine (ie web browsing, etc), and donate the difference to Cancer Research, or some other charity. They're far more deserving of your cash than the electric company.

So, yes. While the 275 may be the slightly faster card, it's not fair to compare them any more, as they're priced on different sides of the £150 price barrier. And that IS a difference. Imagine if I said the Radeon 5850 was better than a Geforce 9600GT, so it must be the best card for a media PC. People would go off it!

Now, if I see ONE more post that aims to take a sly dig at someone, or try to harp on about things that don't mattger and nobody cares about, or that, in general, is a bit crappy (and the parties involved know EXACTLY who they are), I'll be reporting you without hesitation.

TL;DR - the 275 might be faster, but doesn't make sense till it takes a price drop, as it costs a good 40% more than the 4890. The 260's a better comparison point atm. Now stop trolling.

14. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

The comparison's not as clear cut as that though. Looking around the cheapest 4890s are ~£140, while the cheapest GTX 275s are around £160. I haven't looked around for versions with aftermarket coolers, but that's not really 40% more. You have to also consider that the 4890 is much more power hungry, especially at idle, which it will be most of the time, and as a consequence it's much louder. That rules it out for me rather than a few frames sway depending on the game, or £20 difference in price. Believe it or not, it's not always about raw speed ;)

15. MaverickWill

Really? I looked the other day for someone, and I was sure the Radeons were slipping under £130, and I couldn't find a 275 in stock anywhere for less than £170.

Well, that's the nature of the market! :p

16. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Hmm...well I did see a 4890 on Scan for £120, but it comes what looks to be a horrendously inadequate cooler and that's literally the only one that's significantly below £140. Overall stock seems to be much lower than a few weeks ago, with most places only stocking a few lines. The GTX 275s are pretty rare now as well with most places being out of stock, but if you look hard enough there are deals there - the one I was referring to was on Aria (which I actually purchased recently).

17. MaverickWill