1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development Need help figuring out this business proposal for an application

Discussion in 'Software' started by L4nce0, 28 Aug 2010.

1. L4nce0

L4nce0 Hmm what was that breaking sound..

Okay as some of you may know, I'm a college student in software engineering. Over the summer I took up android development. I've one basic ap, and have a good handel / can quickly find out on making basic aps.

I've been talking to this pretty darn big website. (well small I guess compared to say amazon) they get about 50k-100k visitors from mobile phone users alone. I approached them saying hey, it would be great to make your site as an ap! They replied they though a graphing software would better... my issue. I have no idea how to go about this. I'm confident I can get the application to their par. I think it can be done in about a week or so ( once my desktop is re put together... I'm having special case parts made... many of you may be interested as I'm going to sell them too!)

My goals, networking, portfolio, and learning.
    Nice to have, money, but as I'm a Jr in comp sci, I'm pretty focused on making my portfolio and making myself sell-able in the future. I don't want to do this, for free. I'd be taking time away from ventures that actually do pay. I also don't want to get greedy and lose out.

The ap, no question has to be a free to download. . . maybe. Out of respect for the company, all I can say is it is a product that tracks certain intakes and graphs them. Hmm, I guess you could think of alcohol, but pretend its an untapped nich market.

I cannot do this ap solo, 1 as it's their idea and I'm moral. Second I really don't want to make this giant database. (I'd pretty much have to steal it from their site too, again morals)

Hi ----,

Yeah I think we could tie in the ---- as well as we already have that data
    for most----. So what do you envision as far as a partnership? If we
    supply all the data and you build the app? Of course we would also be
    promoting it through our network of sites. Would you be interested in some
    type revenue share or did you see this as a free app?

So to summarize
    I want to know, first how can a company make money off free software? (is it just advertising and ad space?)
    Second, I want payment, but I don't want to lose out because I'm greedy ( and have no idea) What is the professional standard? (credit on the ap will be forced, maybe a line like makermodder.com presents of behalf of ----.com)

2. L4nce0

L4nce0 Hmm what was that breaking sound..

... bump?