1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Need help finding a scooter!

Discussion in 'General' started by Malvolio, 3 Oct 2008.

1. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Hey all! Needing some form of transportation of the internal-combustion type, and am considering a scooter of sorts.

I have it narrowed down to a couple, but was wondering on what people thought was better:

Honda Ruckus

Yamaha BWs 50

Aprilia SR 50 R

What I am wanting is something that'll be easy enough to work on that I can learn to rebuild it myself, something tunable, and has enough guts to almost keep up to cars (I know, asking for a lot here). I am currently leaning towards the aprilia, as the governor is easily removed, and it goes like snot (or so I am told). Storage space does not matter to me, or features, I want a good engine, with a solid, ridable chassis. And if you're wondering, I will be buying new.

Thanks!

2. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

To be honest, my knowledge of scooters extends to Xootr, Kickbike and Razor... completely useless for you, but it gave you a free bump:)

3. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

I would say the aprlla, although the ruckus will never break.

4. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

5. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

get the ruckus.

6. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I personally love the look of the new modern scooters. Hence why I have a 'china' scooter. However I love the reliability of Honda (I own an Accord) products, but I think the Ruckus is ugly. I would get the Honda, but it dosnt apeal to my tastes of modern looking transportation. The Yamaha looks more modern, but like said already the Honda will never break. If your a bigger guy, like me (pushing 280lbs), I would look possibly at getting something with a bigger engine. I ended up with a 150cc and didnt regret it.

:)

7. Malvolio

Malvolio .

I wouldn't say I am small, but I am unfortunately limited in engine size to 50cc due to my license.

But I get the feeling that the ruckus is a rather good choice.

8. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

I usually dislike the look of scooters, but the Rucus and the Aprilia look damn good :p

9. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

I do quite like that Ruckus - in a sort of combat-trouser-y, utilitarian but stylish way...

10. wiby645

wiby645 Minimodder

hi, nice to see another biker on the forum.
    50cc doesnt give you alot to play with. imho any 50cc will be about the same. id say just get a scooter u like
    i dont know ur budget, but buying a used one would save u quite abit of money

11. Malvolio

Malvolio .

I know 50cc sucks, but it's something that I can use for work for the next month or so, and next year (untill I get my class 5gdl).

As far as buying used goes, there honestly is nothing for sale here. The half-dozen scooters that are for sale, are either broken (badly), or way over-priced (IE: I could buy a new one for the same amount). So not really an option unfortunately.

But I did go to the Honda dealership today, and turns out that there are maybe two or three ruckus scooters in alberta. I might be able to get one sent here for monday... So I'm going to drop by another store tomorrow and see what the aprilia looks/drives like.

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'd go for the Aprillia tbh, but I have a thing for Italian motorised things. :hehe:

13. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Alright, so after much research and grief, it turns out that all the information the DMV told me was wrong, and that it is illegal to drive a sub50cc multi-wheeled vehicle that weighs more than 55kgs under my current license. The upside to this is that it is the same penalty reguardless of vehicle I am driving, so I'll most likely just get a little cross-over motorcycle or something...

14. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Why don't you get the better license then?

15. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

+1

16. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Because of the graduated licensing program in my province. Basically the license I have now doesn't allow me to drive anything, unless I'm being followed by somebody with the appropriate full-license. Plus I am not able to upgrade to anything for a full year, and even then, it'll still be two years before it'll be a full license (from when I get the next stage of license). I'm just unhappy that I was lied to by my examiner like this, as I need a vehicle for work.

To put it bluntly: reguardles of engine size, if it has two wheels, you need a proper motorcycle license.

17. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

:eyebrow:

That sucks dude....

Stupid laws!

Hope you can work something out. :thumb:

18. gar

gar Minimodder

I owned a yamaha cygnus, and it was totally brill. A 125 with a decent noise and a top speed of 70 mph. Great build quality, comfortable and v reliable. nuf said

Tags: