1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help, my computer won't turn on...

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by gmail, 23 Jan 2009.

1. gmail

gmail What's a Dremel?

hi guys, so i have this 3 year old pentium 4 that i use to watch movies and surf. all was working fine until it won't turn on.

when i press the power switch nothing happens.
    electricity is passing beacause my mouse lights up when connected to the usb port, so can i conform that the motherboard and powersupply are fine?

is it possibily that the power switch its self is broken?

ps: theres a lot of dust inside the case, but its like that for years.

any help appreciated

2. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Hi,

Unplug everything from the back of the pc leaving just the monitor and keyboard to illuminate a device causing the issue.

On the inside of the PC unplug everything but the Motherboard, CPU, one stick of RAM (then try the other(s) if you have more) and the PSU to see if it will boot then.

Do you have a graphics card installed? if so try a different one or use the motherboards onboard graphics chip (check if you have a vga/dvi connection on the back of the board.)

To test the power button locate the two pins that the power button connects to on the motherboard and short them with a metallic object or just use your reset button. Be very careful when doing this!!

Let us know how it goes :)

3. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

like ryan said, but also
    Clean out the dust!
    check all power connections and the outlet (stick a lamp in there, or something)
    If you have access to a multimeter you can test the power coming out of the psu, or swap a different PSU in.

Were you working on the case/moving it at all or did it just suddenly stop working?

4. gmail

gmail What's a Dremel?

thanks guys, it was the problem with my power outlet, i changed into a another room and the computer booted, strange as my monitor worked fine in that power outlet and power was passing to my motherboard. :D