1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help - SATA HD and ATA Optical Drives!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blast, 4 Jun 2004.

1. Blast

Blast What's a Dremel?

I swapped the 80 GB IDE HD that was in my comp for a brand new 200 GB SATA Drive. Now I have a problem.

When I boot the computer, and I go into the BIOS, I can get the Pioneer DVD-ROM and Pioneer DVD-RW to show on either Primary or Secondary (depending on where I have them at that time). However, I cannot get my WD HD to show up in the BIOS. I tried to do that HD search thing, but it seems that it only searches for drives attached with IDE cables.

When I let the computer run normally, and don't enter BIOS, it shows that it reads the HD, but not the optical drives. So, I cannot even get a chance to install Windows, becuase it cannot read my DVD-ROM and/or DVD-RW. I am stumped. Please help.

BTW: I am using an A7N8X-Deluxe with a 2800+. The DVD-ROM is set to master and the -RW to slave.

2. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

Ok, so i think i get what u mean and if i do this is teh solution:

1 - U need to get teh sata install drivers, thy might come with a disk with ure HD or if not, download from net and put them on a disk

2 - Set one of ure DVD drivers to the 1st boot device in BIOS

3 - Insert BOOTABLE OS cd and all boot from cd, WITH the floppy disk inserted

4 - When the message "Press f5 to load 3rd party raid/scsi drivers" ( its sommit like that anyway ) appears, press f5. This will boot the windows installer and then install the sata drivers off the floppy disk

5 - Windows installer runs, create partition on new sata drive, format partition, install windows

Hope that helps,
    Proph.

3. Blast

Blast What's a Dremel?

Hmm, this didn't work because no disk is able to be read from my DVD-ROM right now. I do not get it! For your plan to work, my DVD-ROM needs to be able to read disks. Any more suggestions.

BTW, thanks for trying.

4. stevehp

stevehp What's a Dremel?

Firstly unless you own a intel chipsetted board you won't see sata drives in the main bios for via P4 and all amd K7/K8 chipsets you need to enter the sata rom setup which if you enabled the sata controller on your board you will see a setup prompt right after the post screen it should show you the drive information, and then the key you press to get into setup to create an array which you need to do before setting up windows.

To setup windows 2000 or XP you need to boot from either cd if it's not bootable then either you have a pirated cd or your drive can't boot from cd's try either drive doesn't have to be a rom drive try your -rw drive. If you do get it to boot from cd immediately right when it enters the dos text based portion of the install press F6 a few times dig around the box of your motherboard for the floppy disk containing the sata drivers as you'll need them for the hard to be seen by windows.

5. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

The only way i can see it not being able to read is because u didnt enable them in the bios as a boot device. Do they actually power up when u turn ure pc on? the lil light should flash a couple times. See step 4 which i think ure missing, Go to BIOS, to "Boot Order" ( or sommit like that ) and change "1st Boot Device" to either of your cd drives. This should allow you to boot from CD using ure bootable windows cd. The sata drivers are on a Floppy Disk which neeeds to be inserted and u press to install scsi/raid controller like i stated in instructions to!

Proph.

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Make sure you have both dvd drives on the same ide ribbon cable, plugged into the secondary IDE port on the motherboard. Also make sure that they are definitely 'Master' and 'Slave'.

I heard of an issue once similar to this and the answer was that you could either have something plugged into the Primary IDE OR have an sATA drive plugged in, not both at the same time. I'm not sure if this would apply to your setup, but it's worth a go.

7. k3nn

k3nn What's a Dremel?

lanparty rev A's are like that, the primary ide channel master cant be used with a sata drive, might be the same with your board, check in the manual for any such conflicts

8. Penrhos

Penrhos What's a Dremel?

I have the same board, Ill assume you have the sata data cable from the HDD attached to port-0 on the m/b and have connected the power connecter to the HDD...
    Hardware:
    1) check the jumper on the m/b isnt set to disable sata (by cmos bat).
    2) stick the optical drives on the secondary ide channel.
    3) switch-on - enter bios and set boot order to scsi,fdd,cd.
    4) exit bios - you should now get another raid config screen appear.
    5) enter raid setup screen if only 1 drive all options should be grayed out but you should see your HDD if not recheck connections, jumpers and bios settings.
    1) get driver CD and copy the sata driver directory onto a floppy.
    2) boot from XP/2000 CD and press F6 to load scsi drivers.
    3) when prompted insert floppy and select SIL driver.
    4) Install should now detect HDD and allow partition/format as usual.

9. Blast

Blast What's a Dremel?

Thanks for trying guys, but here is the issue. The HD seems to be detected alright, becuase outside of the BIOS, when booting I cannot boot from any optical drives. I get "DISK BOOT FAILURE". I do not think this is because of the disk, I think it has something to do with the fact that when booting, no secondary drives are shown.

Edit: Aha! Success! First let me apologize for wasting you time. It seems that the Windows disk I was using(a burned disk, not pirated, just backed up), well this disk was blank. So I used a different disk and it work. Thank you all for trying.

10. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

Please confirm what device is plugged into what.

11. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

If you replaced the hard drive then theres nothing on it to boot from so that message would be expected? or am I missing something here?

SATA drives tend not to be shown in the bios as they are usually on a separate controller.

I'm stuggling to make full sense of your last post though...

12. Prophet

Prophet Minimodder

Even burned windows disks are Non-Bootable unless u make them bootable when u burn them. I had that problem the other day and found out the hardway. Luckily, i grabbed my mates original copy and made a bootable with sp1 included and off we go :)

Proph.