1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Need Help setting up Win98 network to a win 95 laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by munkaystyle2010, 18 Dec 2001.

1. munkaystyle2010

munkaystyle2010 What's a Dremel?

I am wanting to net work a friends laptop that he is running win 95 on and doesn't want to update it. Network it to my system that I run Win 98 SE and Win 2K on a duel boot. have the nic cards in both and all the hardware

2. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

I presume by what you've said that while everything is connected ok, the two machines can't see each other on the 'network' (as in File sharing, they can't see each other in Network neighborhood)

Make sureboth machines have TCP/IP installed, but not IPX or NetBeui - they are outdated protocols and you don't need them anymore excet for local network play with some very old games, which use IPX.

Set the IP address of 1 machine to 192.168.0.1 and the other to 192.168.0.2

The subnet mask should set itself automatically to 255.255.255.0

check to see if one machine can ping the other - type ping 192.168.0.1 / 2 at the command prompt

if they cannot ping each other, then you have a driver problem....if they can, everything works ok - the two machines ARE networked, but they just can't see each other's shares. You can still play games across the network though.

hope this helps, do ask more questions, there's plenty of us here who can help :)

3. psychron

psychron What's a Dremel?

also

Make sure the win95 machine, if its not in a domain, has the same workgroup name as your other machine(s). Sometimes windows gets finnicky about that. If the card is seated properly..check it in device manager, and the driver is loaded properly..check it in device manager, you should be able to ping yourself on the loop back adderess 127.0.0.1. If you can't ,try rebinding tcp/ip to the NIC and removing the other protocols. Check your link light for connectivity..should be green. Also, shutdown any firewalls while troubleshooting if you have them..they will interfere with you being able to see other machines on your network.

4. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Re: also

Reinstalling the protocols and binding them again is an important one as windows has an awful habit of writing old files onto new one when installing drivers thereby killing the network Bind! You gotta love M$!

Tags: