1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Need help with multi monitor setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by [KNIGHT], 25 Jan 2012.

1. [KNIGHT]

[KNIGHT] What's a Dremel?

I have an HIS 5750 (http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-484.shtml) with a DVI, HDMI and a display port output. I want to connect dual monitors to this graphics card using the DVI and HDMI outputs.

After connecting the monitors i switched on the computer. But only the monitor running from the DVI is working. The other monitor does not get any signal. What could be the reason for this? Have i missed anything? Some settings maybe?

2. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

in windows display setting, extend desktop to second monitor.

3. [KNIGHT]

I already did that. But the HDMI display still does not work. I even tried other display settings other than "extened displays". But it still does not work
    BTW i am using a HDMI to VGA cable to get an output through the HDMI port

4. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Really? Does the cable work at all? :eyebrow:

5. [KNIGHT]

I dont know if the cable works or not or if its a problem with settings. Thats why i am asking you guys

6. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

I wasn't aware that HDMI to VGA cables existed. HDMI outputs a digital signal and can't be converted to analog VGA. In order to perform that conversion, a converter box is required.

DVI-D can be converted to HDMI because the digital video signal is identical. DVI-I contains both digital and analog signals, and thus can be converted to VGA. See Wikipedia for more details.

Some older DVI monitors have DVI-I inputs which can accept both analog and digital signals, they would come with a DVI-D digital cable and a VGA to DVI-A cable for analog input, but they were fazed out to the best of my knowledge. Some projectors still have this setup.

tl;dr If the HDMI to VGA cable didn't come with your display, or isn't specifically mentioned as compatible in the display manual, it's your problem.

7. ShakeyJake

In short, they exist and are very useful at lots of things. A cable to do what you're asking doesn't exist to my knowledge. The cable is your problem.

8. [KNIGHT]

This might be a bit insane. Just wondering if it would work.
    I currently have one of the monitors getting an output through the DVI port using a DVI to VGA converter and it works fine.
    And since you said that DVI and HDMI signals are identical, would this combination of converters work to get an output through the HDMI port?
    HDMI port ---> HDMI-DVI converter --> DVI-VGA converter ---> monitor

9. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

The DVI port can be converted to VGA only because it can output an analog signal. The HDMI port is digital only, so is the DisplayPort. If you have two displays with only VGA inputs, you'll have to either buy a converter box (which introduces significant lag and they cost much more than a cable), a new graphics card with dual analog compatible outputs, or a new display with a digital input. If either of your displays accept DVI, you can convert the DisplayPort or HDMI to DVI to connect that display, and connect the other display with DVI to VGA.

10. ShakeyJake

LordLuciendar is quite correct, the only ways of converting a digital signal to analogue are slow, expensive and generally unusable for pc purposes.

11. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

What about the Active Display port to VGA adaptors that started to appear after the HD5xxx series were launched so people could run Eyefinity on the cheap?

12. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

It was my understanding that these were laggy, since they have to process the digital signal to convert it to VGA, but I haven't used one personally. I know the conversion boxes which I have used in the past were incredibly laggy.