1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Need internets to kill zombies!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OversizeZantos, 22 May 2013.

1. OversizeZantos

OversizeZantos What's a Dremel?

Right, have just moved house, which has completely wiped my bank account for the next month, and the nice virgin man has just left having set up my internet in my new place. My main pc (in sig) hasn't got a wireless adaptor, and has been shunted upstairs into my batcave with my guitars and amps to keep the house tidy).

Now Ive got an asus RT-56U router as well as the virgin superhub, and was using it at the last place to give my partner a proper wireless network, not one that kept cutting out when the room doors shut, and also to use as an ftp server etc.

Is it possible to connect the rt-56u wirelessly to the virgin hub and then run an Ethernet cable to my desktop to get internet providings, or am I going to have to buy a wireless adaptor and therefore wait to get back to ridding the world of zombies with my trusty axe?

have had a fiddle and so far have set an access point, but it needs a wired connection for internet and just provided more wireless coverage than before

2. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Powerlan adapters with Intel chips. Wireless eww!!!! :) you will thank me latter or get the 500AV if you can afford it.

I run a group of AV500 adapter in our house (rented) and can have 2 streams running from server no issues as well as internet browsing.

OversizeZantos likes this.
  3. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Powerline adapters should be ok but nothing beats having a hardwired connection. If you can run an ethernet cable, go for that, otherwise MSHunter's powerline adapters should do the trick :)

Also, you may benefit from sticking the Superhub into "modem only mode" and letting the Asus do all the work rather than just using it for wireless duties.

4. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

My BT BusinesHub3 is relegated to purely wireless duties, the modem is piped directly into a cute mini-itx based smoothwall installation :)

You can't beat a wired connection, skirting board is your friend.

Go wired.

5. NoPrisoners

NoPrisoners I love my dremel

+1 Ethernet cable definitely the way to go if you can, and the cheapest way to and the best if you want to use the router as a ftp server with a usb drive.

Powerline can work well, but you don't really know until you can try it. For example I had the 500Mbps powerline adaptors in my old house and got close to the maximum, new house only got them working at 80Mbps. Sold them, got some Cat5e and now have a nice solid 1Gbps.

6. OversizeZantos

Spoke to my landlord, and as long as the cable is both removable when we eventually move, and doesn't stop any doors from closing I can wire up the mancave for internets. Nice :).

Now to my original problem, anyone know if I can set an asus rt-56u to receive the network wirelessly and use it to connect my pc, as in the mean time I still need to hook up my pc (will be the payday at the end of june to sort the cabling out as the move has cleared my bank account), so want to MacGyver something out of the resources I have. Said resources being a virgin gashy superhub, an asus rt-56u and 2x1m cat 6 cables. The computer where it is is a liability as I have no way of stopping my cats from assaulting the poor thing when im out of the house, and its starting to piss the gf off big style. Plus the dining room is freezing, so theres that

7. OversizeZantos

oh and +1 for the help to everyone! and will be using the asus router as the main workhorse for everything when the setup's complete as ping times, dl speeds and overall snappiness of the internet is much much better when its used. The virgin one is so bad. I lose wifi with it before I lose reception on my creative omega tactic 3d headphones (and I wholeheartedly recommend people not buying these, crap reception over 6m, really bad drivers, a mute that doesn't mute properly and a near constant whistle to everyone else listening to me, a bargain for 160 wasted English pounds and the last creative purchase of my life)