1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Need legal advice about council housing

Discussion in 'General' started by Rhydian, 5 Jan 2014.

1. RTT

RTT #parp

Council housing is provided for those who cannot ordinarily house themselves (for a myriad of different reasons). Taking Rhydian entirely out of the equation, it's a house occupied by two adults, earning around £14,000 a year each, who therefore can house themselves. That's why they're being moved on - because there will be people waiting who are not so fortunate as to be able to put a roof over their heads!

Last edited: 5 Jan 2014
    julianmartin likes this.
  2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Yes, plus it's a 3 bed flat with only 2 official residents. Sad as it is, there just aren't enough properties available in the South East (especially council houses) so it's not surprising the council is so keen to move them on.

3. gagaga

gagaga Minimodder

Have to agree with RTT and oasked. I find the whole concept of being able to 'inherit' council houses (other than to a spouse) distasteful. There's gonna be a need at some point to change the whole system so need is determined annually - there's no reason those in council houses should keep them for life when those in private rented accommodation have to reconsider their situation each year. The current system means people like Bob Crow on £100k+ a year is living in a house subsidised by my taxes. It's also the source of the nonsense about the 'bedroom tax' - why should someone paying subsidised rent have spare rooms when those doing the subsidising do not? It's just wrong.

Sorry about your loss. Good luck with finding a place, but i'm guessing having no children and being two able-bodied, employed men you'll need to go private.

4. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

I understood perfectly the councils point of view, and agreed that we needed to move to a private residence.

That's all fine and dandy until we get into the financial implications or paying for a funeral, covering utility bills: council tax in advance, accommodation charge in advance, water rates etc.

Even with 2 full time jobs the council have forced me into a ever growing debt, I've already maxed out a credit card and overdraft facility for the bills the council have forced us to pay since September.

I've now had to open another account to pay for council tax and rent arrears, because my wages simply do no cover how much the council alone are charging me.

5. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Rhydian I can't offer you advice but if I could I would punch the council idiot who is putting you through this crap.

Always enjoyed speaking to you. Though that 870 with slugs in BF3 rage would beg to differ.

The Mothership

6. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Shame I don't own one in real life, couldn't defiantly do with a shotgun!

7. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

To RTT, Oasked, gagaga and the next thoughtless idiots who will post in this thread: Please stop and put yourselves in Rhydian's place for a moment before posting.

Imagine you're just 21.
    Now imagine your father, mother, lover, best friend, child or anyone else who's incredibly important to you has just died.
    Now imagine you're being hounded to settle their debts and pay for their funeral and don't have the money to do so.
    Now imagine you're threatened with losing your home too.
    Finally, try to imagine what it's like to be suffering from depression and add all of the above to that state of mind.

Now you might have an inkling how Rhydian is feeling. If you can't then go get lessons in faking emphathy.

Rhydian doesn't need to hear a discussion on the rights and wrongs of social housing policy here or apologise for his circumstances; he's asked for help and advice, in a fairly desperate situation.

So for all those trolls out there or those who just have to stick their two-penneth in please stop and ask yourself first "Is it going to help or support him?"

If you really want a social housing discussion why not start a thread in serious but leave this one to those trying to help and support him.

Beasteh likes this.
  8. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

Well put - simply awesome. +Rep

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I'm not quite understanding here. You and your brother are bringing in £2000 a month, after tax. The council are then charging a mere £550 (give or take) for rent on a 3-bed property, another £125 for council tax and bills at £100 a month? That totals £775, leaving you £1225 to pay for broadband, mobile phones, food etc.

Sorry, but where's the problem? You're making it sound like the council are asking for all of your money, and more, but they aren't. It appears there's simply a hole in your budget that you need to investigate. Where is that £1225 a month going? Don't just wave a hand and say "car insurance and stuff", you need to do a budget properly.

Now, things to help?
    Call the council tax office. They, for people in good standing, will allow monthly or quarterly payments - especially if you're leaving in Jan, meaning a full year shouldn't be charged. Saying that, some councils do operate payment holidays which could mean you pay the full year's tax in ten months (ie: March to Jan). Regardless, you should be able to negotiate a payment schedule with them.

EDIT: Just for clarity, your income is not terrible. It should be survivable on, with some spare for luxuries. This is why I'm wondering why you're having problems.

10. RTT

RTT #parp

Woah. The situation clearly sucks, so pertinently so that it doesn't need pointing out, I can't really even imagine how dreadful it must feel. Someone was wondering why the council wants to change the situation, I was only just helping them to see why. If you (or anyone) is so offended by discussion of that side issue, I'll happily remove all of the posts, including the one which brought it up, as well as yours where you so kindly call 3 people idiotic. It's a forum, opinions will happen

11. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Its not per month they're charging, its all in advance from his death till march. 4 months in the space of 1 right on top of a funeral. In such a short space of time an incredible amount of money has been sent to the council I'm not sure how they're even coming up with the figures we just get the final sum.

So council tax was around £650 the first bill we had in November, and then rent for a month on top. Add renewing utility bills in our name = debt in first month. December it all starts again so another big ct bill and another month of rent when we don't get paid until the end if december = even more debt. Now trying yo pay the debt off on top of new set of bills for march = yes even more debt.

They haven't given us a chance to organise any payment methods, just threats if we don't pay we lose everything.

Ok looked at 2 of my council tax bills,

1st issued on 5 November £866.07 (reason: change of liability dates from 01.04.2013 - 28.10.2013)

2nd issued 22 November £632.11 (reason: opening bill dates from 29.10.2013 to 31.03.2014)

So basically a whole year of council tax in advance in 1 month. that had to be paid by 1st of January :)

And that's just council tax :(

Last edited: 6 Jan 2014
  12. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Looks like there is some sort of admin error that has delayed these bills. I don't understand why you weren't allowed to pay monthly for the second bill - seems strange.

13. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Ah, now I see the problem! Being hit with everything in one go is indeed a huge issue. I realise you've had the bills, but have you called the council and explained that it is literally impossible for you to pay everything in one go, and that you would like to pay monthly? They shouldn't have a problem with that, even if the bills are demanding everything in one go.

If I'm understanding correctly, you're paying rent monthly, council tax in big lumps whenever they send you the bill, utilities monthly (?) and then your other monthly expenses (food, transport etc)? If that's the case, then it looks like the council tax is the big problem.

14. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Accommodation bill is weekly payment, rent is monthly but they insist on making council tax payments for at least 3 months in advance.

Utilities are done quarterly, which unluckily for us was billed this month. I'm selling my bike since it's due for an expensive service soon so should free up some money.

Anyone have £1000 spare for a deposit lol?

15. julianmartin

Tell me about the bike....

16. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Cheap and cheerful '04 bandit 6. 36k miles on the clock and has interesting quirks lol.

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That's muy bizarro. What happened to the council tax you paid from last April to now? Or do they charge you for the whole financial year in its last quarter?

18. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

That is extremely on on the council tax front.

AFAIK it's monthly and only if payment isn't made and after a warning of none payment and giving you a chance to pay it do they ask for the rest of the years payments.

It was how it worked for me a few years ago, after my housemates didn't make the payment inc my share of the bill. Red letter stating we hadn't paid the bill etc.

19. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

No idea how it's worked. To be honest I've been trying as best as I can to solve how to pay rather then why atm.

Breaking down the bills, it is charged at £211 monthly. Since they've worked backwards first however the payments have been added onto the opening bill.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2014
  20. julianmartin

PM me with more info, I could be interested.