1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need money sir? Or are you a cop?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Malvolio, 6 Dec 2005.

1. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

im sure it will raise the fury of the "omgomgomg!!!oneoneone some guy i know sisters auntie dogs stylists brothers uncles father heard about a guy on the internet who got decapitated by a seatbelt, they are teh uber d4ng0rz!" crowd..... but tbh, i'd like to see a big mechanical arm in every car that forcibly held people down and clamped a seatbelt onto them the moment their arses touched the seats.

oh, and speed cameras, god yes, i want to see one on every street corner, i want them at 12 foot intervals on every inch of every road. you dont want to get caught speeding by a speed camera? THEN STOP SPEEDING YOU IDIOTS! really, how much intelligence does it take to work that one out?!

whining about a fine cause your number plate is dirty? would you care to enlighten me what about your journey was so deperately important that you could not take 30 seconds to say 'oh, my number plate is dirty, better give that a lil wipe'? really? anything? oh, your arms were severed on the number plates sharp edges? maybe that was the reason, huh?

in short.... stop your damned whining. seatbelts save lives (as do speed camera's, speed kills). if you dont want to pay a speeding fine, dont speed.

its not like they are making this stuff up as they go along, anyone can check with a police station just what the laws are, and your supposed to know them when you pass your test.

2. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

Super troopers!

[​IMG]

3. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

lol

On a more serious note...why are seatbelts manditory? Because accidents happen and your life shouldn't be on some kind motorist's guilty conscience. Seriously...some nice guy is driving his minivan, which hits a patch of ice, skids out of control, flips over the median, and gets slammed into by your dumb ass not wearing your belt.

He's fine (wore his seatbelt...shaken and bruised, but that's about all), he flipped driver side opposing and you collided into his passenger side door. And by YOU collided, I don't mean "you" as in your vehicle, I mean the remnants of you that catapaulted through your own windshield and smeared all over his hunter-green paintjob, where his kid would've sat an hour ago.

You're dead. Because it's your right. Where's his right to not have to envision your blood-splattered guts all over his door? Dude will end up in therapy for half his remaining life, unless he's from 'nam or something and already has far too much of an acquaintance with such tragedy. He'll be wrecked, always wondering if he could have only slowed down, because he was a good person and never would've wanted someone to get hurt. Now the therapy bills are adding up, money's tight, dad's exibiting signs of PTSD, and the family's crumbling.

Sure, that's your right. Ahuh.

Pay your fine, at least you can offer a chip for the social worker who's gonna have to straighten a family out for your stupidity. Or, better yet, just buckle your damn belt. And have a nice day. :p

4. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

Slight correction on the speed camera situation in bournemouth uk , there aren't hundreds of them as some one mentioned, there are about 15-30 in the poole bournemouth & christchurch area, Dorset police also publish a list (req'd by law) of areas where they will be posting temporary camera's, there are only a few in the area that haven't been painted bright yellow (hurn rd outbound from christchurch being an example) but some are admitedly badly placed and hidden behind bus stops, trees and road signs, also i believe all of dorsets camera vans are clearly marked, if you break the speed limit expect to get caught eventually, i do break it on occasion and one day i expect to get caught and when i do thats my tough s**t

seat belts are compulsory for a reason they do actually save lifes just like not talking on the phone when you're driving saves lifes

Btw not all of the gatso cameras are actually packing kodak, somewhere in the region of 50% are supposedly just empty boxes

5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

He's only responsible for children under 14, older passengers commit their own crime, the driver won't be charged. :D

http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/seatbelts.htm

Statistically, you can demonstrate that putting a speed camera at site X reduces accidents at that site. Doesn't that also prove that without the threat of a camera motorists will drive more dangerously? It seems we do need a nanny state to save us from ourselves. :sigh:

6. f U z ! o N

f U z ! o N What's a Dremel?

yeah but thats nothing more than a freak thing. seat belts save lives, my dad was a firefighter as well and he can tell you that all day long with his experiences.
    and if they didn't many more people would not be wearing them

7. .308AR

.308AR What's a Dremel?

There should be no helmet or seatbelt laws for adults.

8. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

No helmet law, are you crazy? Helmets have saved waaaaay more lives that not wearing them. My mum's cousin was in a motorcycle crash about 15 years ago (or more) and is now paralysed. The only reason why he is still alive is because he wore a helmet, without that he would be dead.

Cpemma, the law says the driver is responsible for making sure that anyone under the age of 18 wears a seatbelt, that's what my bro's theory test book says.

9. Malvolio

Malvolio .

So, let me get this straight: you want to save lives, by taking away everybody’s freedom?

Alright, I agree 100% that these devices save lives, but I don't want to be forced to wear them if I don't want to.

While we are at it, why not take away other things that kill? Why don't we ban cars altogether anyway? I mean they kill more people every year than guns! And yet we have stricter laws governing guns than we do cars! A car is every bit as dangerous or safe as a gun. Don't confuse the issue with just safety ;) There is a lot more to it than that.

If some loser who doesn't want to wear his seatbelt gets splattered all over my car, I can only hope that his insurance pays to have my car cleaned. And by the way, as sick as it may seam, but counseling bills are MUCH much cheaper than physical rehab bills ;)

10. dannyqball

dannyqball What's a Dremel?

Not that I'm against helmets or seatbelts but they both fail in certain situations, when I was little my mom was engaged to be married to a man and all he got around on was a motorcycle, he was wearing a helmet and hit from behind at a high rate of speed, it launched him through a picture window and took his head completely off.
    This debate could go on for infinity and we will STILL NOT all agree.

11. .308AR

.308AR What's a Dremel?

I never said they aren't good inventions...or that I don't use them. People bitch about privacy rights and the right to 'choose' to kill their unborn yet they want safety-Nazis to dictate the use of seatbelts. Give me a break.

In this case I'm pro-choice ;).

12. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Rather, patting them on the head and saying, "Don't be an idiot, do it properly or I'll smack you." With freedom comes responsibility, if somebody can't handle it they don't get it, nor do they deserve it. And why should some moron take away my freedom to exist?

If one person's desire for his own personal freedom cuts down on the freedom of
    the rest of society he should be cut out of the gene pool like a rabid dog.

13. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

How does not wearing a helmet prevent his head from being chopped off, and what's a picture window?

14. dannyqball

A helmet does NOT prevent his head from being chopped off, this is my point, sometimes they fail but most of the time they are a life saver.

A picture window is a very large window in front of a store, kind of like the one's you see with all the displays in them.

15. specofdust

specofdust Banned

This is unlikely to happen again, ever, but I agree with .308AR. I'm not so sure about seatbelt ones, if its possible that the person not wearing a seatbelt could cause injury to others then it should be the law that they wear it, but in the case of motorcyclists they shouldn't have to wear it. It harms no-one if they don't, so let them make the choice.

In Britain there was a big song and dance a while back because our Government wanted to bring in a law saying you had to wear a helmet on a motorbike, obviously this causes great problems for sikhs who have to wear turbans according to their religion, but then, who does it harm other then them if they dont wear one, so why should they be made to?

So long as you're decision has no direct negative impact upon others, you should always be allowed to have that decision.

16. dannyqball

Personally I never hardly ever wore a helmet because I thought it impared my peripheral vision and hearing but then I got lucky.
    I no longer ride a motorcycle because people in cars (mainly with cell phones glued to their ears) can't see me and are wreckless.

Maybe another thread about people driving with cell phones should be implimented.

either way, IMO cars, bikes, trains, planes, boats. You can die in any of them on any given day, taking precautions or not. It's life. We invented them so we can die by them.
    Heck people still get killed on horses, are they banning the riding of horses.
    I'm totally confused now. I'm just going to go to bed and forget this thread even took part of my lifetime.

Screw that, I'm going to pop a beer and hope I don't die walking up the stairs to bed when I'm done.

17. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

There is only one reason why people get charged for not wearing there seatbelts, and it is for revenue for the state. Its the exact same reason why you get speeding tickets and are allowed to go on your way. Do you think cops would be pulling over more people if these things immedietly sent you to jail for the night? With no fine? I doubt -anyone- would get pulled over for speeding unless it was an insane amount if the concequence was jail, no fine.

But in reality, this is a signifigant source for income for the state and the police department. Not only this but alot of places have actual quota's to keep up. It has NOTHING to do with saving your life, if it did they would give stricter punishments. Its all about money.

18. dannyqball

I have to somewhat agree, I believe that the law is in place to protect the innocent and speeding can kill BUT to add to what you are saying, I have seen with my own eyes the power of MONEY and crime.
    When I was in prison I noticed the state would let the multilple offenders out earlier becauase they knew they would be back soon and the state gets over 20 grand a head for people coming into prison. People like myself that made a mistake and learned from it had to spend more time in because they knew I wouldn't make the same mistake again so they milked the state for every penny while I was in.
    I do agree that SOMETIMES it's a money game but on other events they really are trying to prevent people from breaking the law by making them pay their hard earned dollors for breaking the law.
    Again, this is all depaitable and I'm sure someone will have a comment to disreguard my opinion.

19. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

I feel the same as some otherpeople on here, I wear my seatbelt, jsut a habit. BUT I don't think it should be manditory to use one.

Speaking of freak accidents, my best friends uncle has not warn one in over 17 years now. Only because one night he was comming home, A drunk driver swerved into his lane, he went into a brick wall but was launhced from the car (no seatbelt on) and All he had was a bruise on his arm where he hita tree while rolling on the ground, If he would have had his seat belt on, He would have died on impact. After the perimedics and everyone checked him, the cops told him he was going to have to pay a fine for not wearing a seat belt... :wallbash: Dumb arse d*cks..

20. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

A contradiction surely?

With everything in life there are consequences and responsibilities with every decision we make.

If I choose to buy a house I have to accept that I have to pay for it. If I want to have children I have to accept that I must be a responsible parent and pay for their upkeep. If I want to drive a I have to accept certain rules - insure it, tax it, ensure that it's roadworthy, wear a seatbelt, drive responsibly etc. If anybody decides not to do any one of those, or a number of other things, then they can fully expect to be punished for it.

You have to show that you wear a seatbelt (in this country) and obey the speed limits before you are granted a licence to drive. Therefore if you do not want to obey these rules then don't drive. It's that simple, as someone posted earlier (though not in the same context) it's black and white, no grey area. These things are there for our safety, if you want to flirt with death, do it somewhere else, not on the public road.