1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Need opinions on a mod (WIP)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by nerd of nerds, 21 Aug 2005.

1. nerd of nerds

nerd of nerds What's a Dremel?

hello!

for the past few months i've been wanting to make the switch to apple...

i'm not much of a PC gamer, too much money needs to be invested to play games (well)...that and i've been using linux for a year...no more windouche for me!

so, all this osx86 stuff started coming out and i decided to build a macintel computer with a super spiffy case...

here is what i'm at so far:
    [​IMG]

what should i do for a window? just plexi and a blue cathod? one option i thought about was using a laptop backlight and making it look like an ibook...then i had the idea to make it look like a vintage apple logo...

i don't know...what do you guys think?!

2. ZuNe

ZuNe What's a Dremel?

Please don't just 'plexi + bl00 cathode it!'

Can't you think of something a bit more ambitious...

You could cover the logo with semi-transparent perspex, (any colour) But fairly 'dense', then illuminate it with LEDs. A cathode might work, but I don't think it would glow as evenly.

[also you might wanna clean the inside of your case. Looks a bit dusty] :thumb:

3. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

clear plexi, with a small trench cut around the perimeter ofthe window on the inside.
    embed blue EL wire in trench. hot glue it in place.

something a bit different, maybe.

4. Rd52

Rd52 Minimodder

you should make it like a powerbook paint your case silver and a white plexy like a powerbook

5. Gascan1888

Gascan1888 What's a Dremel?

cant agree more

what i would do ...
    1. a good cleaning :thumb:
    2. plexi that hole :rolleyes:
    3. sleeve that PSU :D
    4. get some round cables :clap:
    5. change your power/HDD LEDs

and thats just to make it look good
    but it dosent matter what i would do, its YOUR case !! :thumb:

6. Florian

Florian What's a Dremel?

Whatever you do, start with a can of compressed air ;)

7. haha, correct!

I reckon some white or frosted plexi would look good so it looks like the glowing logo on an iBook, then a nice white cathode behind it to make it glow. painting the case glossy white might be a good idea also. The window is nicely cut BTW :thumb:

EDIT: Welcome to Bit-Tech :)

EDIT 2: It might not be a good idea telling everyone your building an OSx86 machine either!!!

8. nerd of nerds

ok, enough witht he coments about my messy computer! all those (crappy) components are gone now, out of the case...plus it hasn't been cleaned in the 4 years i've had it.

Edit 1:spiffy new components are in place now...

@edit 2: why? because people here aren't so nice to macs?

i think what i'm going to do is find a laptop lcd and use the backlight from it to make a vintage apple logo like seen here:

http://www.macmod.com/content/view/52/2/

9. No because running OSx86 is illegal and if Jobs come and kicks yo' ass don't blame me!! :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

10. Pete_Venkman

Pete_Venkman What's a Dremel?

How big is that hole? You mentioned using a laptop LCD...gives me an idea!

:idea:

Sand the edges of the apple down real nice, and mount an LCD panel (car, ps1, whatever) behind the apple. Then plug the LCD in and continuously run different video on it (like the old rainbow bar apple pattern, fading colors, clouds, running water, etc.)

Me thinks that would be SCHWEET!

11. nerd of nerds

damnit...its too big for my psone screen...but that is a pretty damned cool idea (i had thought about it but dismissed it because of how big i cut that hole...)

i'll think of something...

12. AdeTBun

AdeTBun What's a Dremel?

How about some UV reactive actrylic with a couple of UV CCFLs? Give you a nice even glow.

Ade

13. Pete_Venkman

i don't know what your budget is, but maybe an old laptop screen? It wouldn't have to have super high res...just enough real estate.

14. nerd of nerds

noooooo laptop screens!

no no no! it may seem dumb, but laptop screens just plain don't work with computers...

in order to save power/space laptops use an all digital interface...so do most (all?) modern lcds...the reason why we are able to use lcds on our computers without a gigantic digital interface is because they use controller cards for em. controller crads (in a nutshell) take analogue signals from your graphics card and turn them into digital signals that the lcd can understand...

a lot of people think that they can just switch a few wires and have it work, this simply just isn't the case...believe me, i wish it were :-(

the reason i wanted to use a laptop display was for the backlight, nothing else...this would produce an effect similar to that of ibooks and powerbooks...

15. Pete_Venkman

:waah:

That sucks about the laptops. You'd think it would only be natural for a laptop screen to WORK with a computer. PFFT!