1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Need some help with LCD panel (640x200)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Twyst, 11 Oct 2004.

1. Twyst

Twyst What's a Dremel?

Well, I started on this project a LONG time ago, and bought an Epson 640x200 LCD from an Ebay auction. I also bought a controller board for it, which uses a Epson S1D13305 chip (SED1335, I believe, is the old name for it).

Now, the LCD panel required a negative voltage bias, which I provide through a DC-DC converter (5 volts to -19 volts). This seems to be working fine, as I get contrast on the display. I'm pretty sure I've gotten the board wired up correctly, but I never seem to get anything on the display, no matter what software I use. I've checked and triple checked my wiring, and I still get nothing. Any suggestions?

I can provide photos galore of everything that I've done, so that isn't an issue. I'll also dig up the data sheets, if I can - I think I posted them to this forum before.

And here they are: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=646771&postcount=11

I basically didn't have any time to get things squared away, and now that I do have time, I'd like to get it functional. :D

edit: Found the link to the pinouts

2. coorz

coorz Miffed

Twyst,

Based on what i have used to connect my Optrex 320x240 LCD to SED board, here is what i have charted out for your combo;

Code:
    SED BOARD		LCD

1 | XD3 		14
    2 | XD2 		13
    3 | XD1 		12
    4 | XD0 		11
    5 | XECL 		NC
    6 | XSCL (CL2)		9
    7 | LP (CL1)		4
    8 | WF			N.C.
    9 | YDIS 		N.C.
    10| YD (FLM, DIN)	8
    11| YSCL 		N.C.
    12| Vcc (+5)
    13| Gnd (GROUND)
    14| Vee 		3
    15|N.C.
    16|N.C.

From SED board to parallel port i have used this scheme.

When using LCDinfo, nothing happens when you choose the SED driver until you also make some 'screens' for it.
    Other LCDapps like LCDStudio, LiquidMP3 or LCDHype should display some, or first crosscheck your wiring presets.
    If all is well, when you power up the LCD you should see some horizontal running scan lines, that's normal for SED.
    Also try to include the R/C and switch reset circuit.
    I'll be hooking up a 640x200 myself soon, perhaps other pin-layout posibilities will arise, but i think not.

3. Twyst

Twyst What's a Dremel?

I'm assuming that NC is "No Connection"?

Or am I missing something - wouldn't I need to have all the pins connected?

4. coorz

coorz Miffed

NC is indeed Not Connected. Not all pins need to be connected.

5. Twyst

Twyst What's a Dremel?

Aha! that may have been my problem all along - I had all pins connected. I'll try out this pinout, and see if that makes things work. =)

6. coorz

coorz Miffed

BTW what model/make 640x200 LCD you have?

7. Twyst

Twyst What's a Dremel?

It's an Epson EG-7004S-AR , 640x200.

8. One~Zero

One~Zero What's a Dremel?

Another older LCD...Coorz to the rescue

Coorz...anytime I see a 640x200, I hold my breath and hope it's the same as mine. I did finaly end up finding a "match" to mine, allbeit under a different name.

http://www.eio.com/meci.htm

Could you assist with this one? Thanks.

By the way, I got outbid on that Planar on Ebay by someone from "skippari"... :grr: ...no worries, I ended up getting a brand new one a couple of days later for $60. Will probably be looking for some help with that one too eventually. :thumb:

9. coorz

coorz Miffed

Funny, i actually know all the bidders on that Planar :D
    Well at least you got the better one :thumb: Let's handle this by mail, too much hijacking :p
    ps. if that 640x200 of yours is non backlighted i'd suggest skipping it altogether, the Planar will spoil your interest in 'normal' LCD's forever :hehe:

10. One~Zero

One~Zero What's a Dremel?

I think you've pretty much spoiled everyone with your Planar... :naughty:
    I would like to still get that stupid 640x200 working. At least if I have a pinout and get it to work, I would be able to sell them off a little easier (I have 5...got to do something with them. Thanks once again for all your help.

11. Twyst

Twyst What's a Dremel?

OKay, finally had a chance to go over my wiring, and rewire the SED -> LCD connection.

Now, I had to check my DB25 connector to figure out what the heck I did.. :D

My wiring for that is almost the same as that diagram - just the 4 control lines are shifted around. I'm using pin 1 -> nWrite, pin 14 -> Chip Select, pin 16 -> A0, and Pin 17 -> nRead. Now, I seem to recall that most of the LCD software out there lets you define those control lines .. so I should be good to go, yes?

I'm a wee bit paranoid about hooking it up, I've toasted a few LCDs.. :waah:

12. Twyst

Twyst What's a Dremel?

Well, no luck. I get the exact same thing happening. I took a couple of pics.

[​IMG] Not plugged in.

[​IMG] Plugged in.

I've got LCDStudio running, the DLPort I/O is installed, and there should be a simple clock displayed, on a background that says "twysted methyd"

As you can see, I get THAT. :sigh: Note that the clear patch is not from camera flash / reflection, but what's actually on the display.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited: 29 Oct 2004
  13. Turbokeu

Turbokeu Minimodder

In LcdStudio, in the configuration settings of the SED133x driver there is a test button.
    Assuming that all wiring and software settings are OK pressing the test button should display "Testing 123" and some semi-graphical characters in the left upper corner of your LCD.

CD :)

14. coorz

coorz Miffed

Also if you power up the LCD even without any connection to LPT there should be some running horizontal scan lines. Have you setup your negative voltage circuit for the LCD contrast control?

15. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

My Hyundai display did this when the contrast was not correct.

Hope that helps.

16. coorz

coorz Miffed

That second pic looks like too much contrast indeed. Turning the pot doesn't make any difference? If not then your negative circuit is hooked up wrong or wrong values for the pot.
    So that big white spot is actually on the display? Very weird.... :worried:

17. Twyst

Twyst What's a Dremel?

Well, I didn't have a pot attached at the time I took that pic, since I can't find the one I was using on my 4x20.

But I was getting that even when I had a pot attached - I could dial the contrast way down, but I had basically the same results.

Now, I've gone out and purchased a pack of trim pots. This is the one I'm thinking of using:

[​IMG]

Now, just to refresh my memory - I attach the -19V to one of the outer legs, and run the opposite one to the LCD?

18. Hazer

One outer leg to -19V.

Other outer leg to ground.

Middle wiper to LCD contrast.

19. Twyst

Twyst What's a Dremel?

okay. Still no luck. I can adjust the contrast just fine now .. but I still get nothing on the display. No horizontal lines, nothing. I'm at a complete loss as to what to do now.

Although, maybe I've been somewhat daft - I haven't wired in the "Reset" circuit on the SED board - I never did it on my 4x20, so I thought I didn't need it..

Now, I see that many of the apps, like LCDStudio, have a pin setting for "Reset" - so should I just wire straight to the parallel port? Or should I be doing some funkiness with a switch? The schematic seems to just connect the reset pin to +5V, with a cap and a resistor.

(I know, I'm probably being stupid these days, it's been a long time since I did ANY of this stuff...)

20. Hazer

If your using LCDStudio, then use thier wiring diagram. They may be trying to use the reset input.

If not, then definately tie it to +5V. You cant leave it open, its an input. Letting it float may be keep the controller in a constant state of reset.