1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEEDED: Wireless access point with wired ports

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by 731|\|37, 29 Aug 2007.

1. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

Title says it all, can anyone recommend a good wireless access point that can run 102.11g as well as a collection of wired ports? By access point I mean I need a switch that has the capability to broadcast g, not just a router. The network on the other side of the device should be transparent to the network that is upstream.

Thanks

2. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

not 100% sure what you mean here, but would not an access point plugged into a switch do?

What is it exactly your trying to do (forgive my possible interpritations of your question)

3. 731|\|37

Yes, an access point plugged in to a switch would do, but that would require me to have both an access point and a switch. If I can get a common wireless router that I can set to access point mode I can do it with one piece of hardware, and I'll bet it will be a lot cheaper.

4. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

this is where my confusion lies....

you can get a standard wireless router, disable the bits you don't want...

5. 731|\|37

'Router' mode obscures the devices that lie on the other side to all outward appearance. At school they use mac addresses to keep track of bandwidth and throttle down connection to any one device if it is eating up too much. If I can get a wireless router to go in to access point mode it's transparent enough to allow their filtering scheme to not X number of devices on it as one. Unfortunately, most mainstream wireless routers do not support separate modes like this, which is why I need something whos sole purpose is access point mode.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

So you want your MAC addresses to poke through beyond your wireless/wired device (presumably so they'll only throttle one device instead of your entire mini-network of systems)? I think what you want is a bog standard 802.11g router (WRT54g, etc), and just disable DHCP - doing so should make it act as a wireless broadcaster with a few wired ports attached, which if I'm understanding correctly is what you're looking for.

Tags: