1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Neighbours can have Fibre. I cant.

Discussion in 'General' started by electronicfox, 9 Feb 2016.

1. electronicfox

electronicfox What's a Dremel?

Since I moved into this house I waited for Fibre to be rolled out, which it did a couple months later, only my house in particular was never updated on some database or something. In any case that was eventually fixed.

Now I can get Fibre through BT, but not TalkTalk (my current ISP). Although checking my neighbours addresses, they can all get fibre through TalkTalk.

Any ideas why this might be? I'd really like to upgrade from 2mb/s.

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

the same DB issue probably exists through other ISPs. maybe lag from BT ?

If you can get BT fibre ten you can get talk talk fibre (not sure why you would to be honest though)

3. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Openreach maintain the database of line configuration as they are the company that provide the infrastructure (telephone line & street cabinets) from the exchange to your home.

The ISP only has their equipment in the exchange so rely on Openreach data to know which lines they can provide service to.

BT pay Openreach for more regular updates than other ISPs, so there will be a delay before other ISPs have the updated data.

4. tiger-moth

tiger-moth What's a Dremel?

I got a really good deal with BT using the Topcashback site and BT's pre-paid mastercard offer; works out at around £14 a month for unlimited fibre and line rental.
    Massive difference between fibre (I get around the full 38mb/s) and my previous rickety connection at 2mb/sec (which cost more than twice as much)
    They all use the same cabinet/exchange, so if you can get it with BT you should get it with talktalk - BT have worked out well for me so far though.

5. jewelie

jewelie Ancient geek, newbie to BT

Because TalkTalk are incompetent twits? (I'm also with them.)

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I'd use this as a prime-o reason to switch ISP to one that is a) less incompetent b) less rubbish and c) better.

7. electronicfox

I use TalkTalk because they had a cheap deal going when I moved to this address. I had Virgin Media at my previous house (I miss 70+Mbps) but they dont cover here.

TalkTalk was a mistake, but I dont wanna pay the early cancellation at this point.

Knowing that I just have to wait for TalkTalk to get the update though is helpful, I can ride out ancient internet speeds for a couple more weeks if I must.

I will in no way argue that TalkTalk was ever a good idea, nor reccomend them. They originally took 2 weeks and 5 engineers to hook me up, and their tech support is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

8. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Just off topic for a second, if I were starving, or had low blood sugar (or something like that) and all I had was such a teapot, I'd eat it and think it was fantastically useful.

However - back OT - if you can get out of the TT contract, do. If you can't, it sounds like when records are updated, you'll be switchable to FTTC, and you can ride out the contract :thumb:

9. electronicfox

AFAIK I can only back out of the contract under extreme circumstances, like having no service for months. I may be wrong there though, I'll read up a bit more on that.

This should teach me for next time, cheapest isnt always best.

10. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I think more people have success with the talktalk forums than calling them to be honest.

11. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Which is exactly why I'm thinking of starting in business selling chocolate teapots - everyone should have one at the back of the cupboard, just for emergencies. Once the business is stable, I'm thinking of branching out into other chocolate products - you know, fireguards and the like. :D :p
    (Damn. Looks like someone beat me to it :()
    I used to work in the contact centre industry and TalkTalk's (and C&W's before them) call centre were considered the joke of the industry. It is, without doubt, the worst customer service of any company out there. I wouldn't recommend TalkTalk to my worst enemy.

12. Squallers

Squallers Meat Puppet

I used to work in one of their contact centres and can confirm that it was indeed a joke! I once pretended to be my own supervisor by putting on a Scottish accent.

13. electronicfox

I once called their tech support for a problem with my broadband connection. After being forwarded about 5 times through different departments I finally demanded to be sent to a manager.

I was sent to the manager of the TalkTalk Mobile department to fix my broadband issue.