1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Nerf Gun Modding

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 30 Jun 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

What can I say? I saw numbers and I glossed over.

2. Altron

Altron Well-Known Member

Negative. The spring is under more compression, so it requires more energy to compress it the same distance. Compressing it twice the distance takes four times as much energy, because the spring gets stiffer the more you compress it, and is thus harder to push. If you've ever just held a spring in your hand, it requires much less pressure to push it by 1" than it does to push it by 2".

Here's some further reading. This really isn't a difficult concept, but I don't like to see misinformation. Pre-loading will make a difference

http://zonalandeducation.com/mstm/p...ingPotentialEnergy/springPotentialEnergy.html

3. lacuna

lacuna Member

Okay, so correct me if (where) Im going wrong here:

A linear spring with a spring rate of 1lb/in will take 1lb of force to compress it 1 inch, correct? So, the same spring, because it is linear, will take 2 lbs of force to compress it 2 inches and so on.

Assume that the same spring is used in the gun and can compressed to a maximum of 4 inches. Assume also that as standard the slider used to compress the spring can compress it by 3 inches. 3 inches of compression would require 3lbs of force. So, you compress the spring, pull the trigger and the spring fully extends releasing the 3lbs of force that was put in.

If the same spring was preloaded by 1 inch then it has 1lb of force stored in it as potential energy. It now takes 1lb + 3lb to compress the spring. Once again, you compress the spring, pull the trigger and the spring extends the same 3 inches it did before as there is a finite space available within the gun. The spring remains preloaded by 1 inch and therefore retains the 1lb of force as potential energy so only 3lbs of force is released.

4. dispie

dispie Member

woo nice see some really nice warhammer mods there

5. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Member

Joe,

Please come to my house and explain to my Misses why I just spent £80 on nerf guns and bits to modify them. I blame you entirely for this, and it would be nice if she shouted at you instead of me :)

Pete

6. Altron

Altron Well-Known Member

You're mistaking force with energy. Energy is force applied over distance.

If you compress a 1 lb/in spring 3 inches... you are applying one pound of force over one inch, two pounds of force over the second inch, and three pounds of force over the third inch. That's 1 + 2 + 3 = 6 inch-pounds of energy for the first three inches of compression.

Let's say you keep going.The fourth inch requires four pounds of force, the fifth requires five pounds of force, and so on. For the next three inches of compression, it takes 4 + 5 + 6 = 15 inch-pounds of energy.

If you compress it three more inches, from 6" to 9", it takes 7 + 8 + 9 = 24 inch-pounds of energy.

7. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Thankyou play.com for delivering my darts BEFORE the maveric.

That site has become pretty much useless, why did I shop there.

8. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

BUMP!

Sainsburys are selling the Maverick for a tenner at the moment. I saw one, remembered this article and immediately bought one. Spring and cylinder mod performed in half an hour at work.

9. KMNerfArt

KMNerfArt New Member

Tags: Add Tags