1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress NES to the Future

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by GeordieGoose, 2 Apr 2011.

1. GeordieGoose

GeordieGoose New Member

The Project
    NES to the Future

The Plan

To put a media center into a NES shell.

The Intro

This is my first modding project. I’ve built a few PC’s but I have never attacked anything with a dremel. A lot of this project will be firsts for me so any pointers and advice would be great. I know this has been done quite a few times but its a nice tame mod to start me off on the path to being a beast with a Dremel:dremel:
    The Hardware

A NES
    Asus AT3IONT-I Deluxe, Intel Atom 330 & Nvidia ION
    Corsair XMS3 2 x2 gig
    2 Fractal Design 50mm case fans
    WD 160 GB Scorpio Blue
    Plexi glass
    White sleeving and shrink from MDPC
    Nikon D40 for the photos, I've only just started using a DSLR so the pics might be a bit rough :rolleyes:

Sit back and enjoy :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Look at the size of those!
    Hopefully going to get some good shots of that circuit board once I get to grips with this cam.

[​IMG]
    I want to re-use the buttons. The power button stays pressed so I removed the little piece of metal and spring which were holding it down.

[​IMG]
    Everything stripped out

Let the butchery commence :dremel::dremel::dremel:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I sliced a few parts of case which probs wont sand out :( My next purchase is going to be a flexi-shaft for the dremel:blush:

Finally for this first entry of my build log, the build mascot
    [​IMG]

After measuring up I decided on the mobo above. The main reason is that the board comes with a laptop style psu so it saves having to try and fit in a PSU. A few people suggested an AMD build with a pico psu but this would have pushed the price up about £80.

The next step is to get it all sanded down so its nice and smooth.

I'm planning on sticking a small sheet of plexi to the bottom so that I have a stable platform to build on.

Can anyone recommend a easy to use sketch up programme so I can show everyone how I want it laid out.

Thanks for looking hoping to get the sanding done soon.

Over and out :)

2. Dragonite

Dragonite Member

Nice idea :D Have been thinking of doing something similar with a broken PS2 I have :p

3. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

well Google SketchUp is free and fairly simple. Personally I use Solidworks and I can't stand Sketchup (because I'm spoiled), but Solidworks is a pretty costly piece of software. imo its the best in the industry though if your into solid modeling and 3D CAD.

The mods looking great so far though mate! Keep up the good work!

4. domthecondom

domthecondom Noob Modder

Yeah don't waste the NES.

I hope the NES was dead before you hacked it to pices?

5. Dragonite

Dragonite Member

Or he can build one of this :D

Instructions how to do it is here though he isn't using much from a orignal NES but a Arduino platform :D

6. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Well-Known Member

I follow this, nice to see another Geordie on here too (I count 4 that I know of).

7. GeordieGoose

GeordieGoose New Member

:eyebrow: Of course it was Dom I couldn’t have destroyed a still living one

Dragonite that looks ace :)

Cookie where in Newcastle you from?

I should have an update for you guys mid week once all of the sanding is 100% done.

Cheers for the interest everyone :)

8. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Well-Known Member

I'm in the ever so posh Medowell end of North Shields. You?

9. SteveU

SteveU New Member

Subscribed! Keep the updates regular please, am looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

10. GeordieGoose

GeordieGoose New Member

Just a little update guys now that I have finished most of the sanding.
    I’ve never painted plastic but I’ve heard that Halfords bumper primer then a coat of the bumper paint will work fine. Let me know if thats the best way to do it.
    How much sanding with what grit paper would need to be done for decent prep?

Now that I have all the obstacles out of the case I was able to play around with a few layouts below are my ideas

Plan 1

[​IMG]

If I want to keep the power/reset buttons I have to leave 2.6cm clearance. Mounting the mobo straight to the bottom of the case means the RAM slots are blocked as well as one of the mobo stand off holes.

The motherboard would need 2.6 cm plexy feet + standoffs. This means I could mount the hard drive under the mobo or in the top of the case.
    Cut a hole on the left hand side for the intake fan and mesh it over.
    Cut out the old connection holes and use the area for the exhaust fan location.

Plan 2

[​IMG]

As above, but not using the power buttons. I would cut out a larger hole were they were mesh it over and mount the intake fan here. No way I’m going to do this as it want it to look 100% like a NES from the front

Plan 3

Same layout as plan 1, but mount the mobo upside down in the top of the case. This means the ports on the back of the mobo would be upside down but will let me also use the original buttons.

For the Hardware fans out there here’s a few pics of the kit going into the NES.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I ordered some sleeving from MDPC about christmas time for my main pc so I'm going to use some of this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I grew up in Walker but living in Longbenton.

Thanks for the subs and I hope you enjoyed the update :)