1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nesteq Silent Freezer 1200 Cooler Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 9 Dec 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Personally I would have given this cooler 1/10 for performance. When an aftermarket cooler is barely able to out-do the stock HSF something is seriously afoot.

Does this company do any sort of quality control or testing?!

3. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

wtf? How can they make it so wrong?

With specs like that, I was waiting for something to give TRUE and Titan Fenrir real run for their money.

4. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

It just looks like a poorly made heatsink. Big != better.

5. poldo

poldo New Member

It pretty much looks like the Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer...only difference is the Core Contact Freezer is an awesome cooler at a cheap price.

6. Cobalt

Cobalt New Member

Its interesting that so many of these coolers with the heatpipes in direct contact with the heat spreader seem to perform worse than the previous generation of coolers without direct contact.

7. trig

trig god's little mistake

my thoughts as well.

or is it the fan? do you guys ever wonder why these coolers have all the makings, then fail so miserably? maybe put a good fan on it just for comment?

8. Sifter3000

I think a lot of the time it comes down to the mounting mechanism; newer CPUs (45nm Core 2s, i5 and i7) feature an insane amount of transistors in a very small space, so they're incredibly dense - and actually extracting the heat from the CPU is a problem if the cooler isn't well attached. Large size then exacerbates this problem as the cooler's weight pulls it away from the CPU - it's one reason the stock coolers are always fat and squat, as opposed to the big tower designs a lot of 3rd party HSFs use.

9. trig

i can see that being a problem...so really, until someone comes out with a new mounting system, we're going to be seeing alot of very average cooling then. what about adding a portion to these reviews that also looks at how much air the stock fans push?

10. lifer

lifer Water on the pcb

Its like they forgot to fill the heatpipes.........

11. mclintox

mclintox Eat cheese!

Seems that it both sucks and blows,literally!

12. trig

lol...spaceballs

13. Sifter3000

Not necessarily - coolers such as the Titan Fenrir, some of the Noctua models cool brilliantly, so the problem of designing a mounting system for a large tower cooler is not insurmountable.

It's something we could do, but I'm curious as to what you think that would really tell you. You've got the cooling results across a variety of systems, and where appropriate, at high and low fan speed settings; in terms of modding the cooler to use a different fan, is that something people would really do? Wouldn't people just go and buy a different HSF?

14. bradders2125

bradders2125 New Member

I think with people who mod their cases, and like everything to look nice, would change the fan to one with better performance or looks, to suit their case. Obviously this is only the ones who can't afford or manage to cram a watercooling system into their case.

15. bigdunge

bigdunge New Member

You mentioned in the article that the TIM was strange. What about testing with a known, good TIM. That seems like something that most people would have around anyway.

16. Makaveli

Makaveli New Member

Maybe i'm missing something but how are your idle temps so low on the 1366 setup??

Is this test done inside a case or open test bench?
    Is Hyperthreading on?
    What is the ambient room temp?

17. Matticus

Matticus ...

They aren't the temps, they are the temperature difference between ambient. So the 17 for example you see for idle, is 17 above ambient at the time of the review. Probably something in the mid 30s.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2009
  18. Makaveli

Makaveli New Member

ahh thank you.

19. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

lots of people bitch and moan about having to remove their MB to fit a backplate for the HSF - this is why that backplate is needed.

20. trig

Off hand I imagine that not knowing if the cooler is part of the problem they would go ahead and just buy a different hsf. but if the price was really good, and they knew the fan blew, or didn't blow enough lol, they (or i for sure) would judt grab a better fan.

i also never knew the fenrir had the same direct contact pipe setup...

another good point i didnt even think about...you guys aren't using a standard tim? most of us i am sure don't care what it comes with. we are going to use our tim of choice (for me as5). i'm surprised you guys don't, that could really change things...

Tags: Add Tags